Away Match Day Thread 18/9/21 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

There is nothing wrong with tippy tappy and keeping possession. Cheltenham though, basically said “ well you have it then “ and we’ll just sit in and defend and hit you on the break, which they did. I said in one of my earlier posts that we need a first choice alternative to Taylor which we just haven’t got. I don’t know if the loan window is open but he needs to move Agyei out and get another striker in if he can, someone with a physical presence. I am not rubbishing Taylor but not every game suits him and god help us if he gets injured. Then we really would be in the s**t.

I had the misfortune of sitting in the Cheltenham family stands and a guy near me said 'Oxford have got good vision, but not the skill to make it happen'. Resisting the idea to tell him to fick off, on reflection he had a point. I really dont think Taylor stood a chance yesterday and might have been better on the bench with Dan A up front

There is nothing wrong with tippy tappy and keeping possession. Cheltenham though, basically said “ well you have it then “ and we’ll just sit in and defend and hit you on the break, which they did. I said in one of my earlier posts that we need a first choice alternative to Taylor which we just haven’t got. I don’t know if the loan window is open but he needs to move Agyei out and get another striker in if he can, someone with a physical presence. I am not rubbishing Taylor but not every game suits him and god help us if he gets injured. Then we really would be in the s**t.
So keep Winnall, always injured and not much use when fit, and loan out a striker who has proven goal scoring ability, to bring in a striker on loan that nobody else wants hence his availability?
I think that needs a bit of a re-think. No disrespect.

So keep Winnall, always injured and not much use when fit, and loan out a striker who has proven goal scoring ability, to bring in a striker on loan that nobody else wants hence his availability?
I think that needs a bit of a re-think. No disrespect.
You wouldn’t get another club to take Winnall. Agyei isn’t a central striker is he.

And another thing, I thought Holland was pathetic when he came on. Should be tearing up this league but looks like he doesn’t fancy it.
I've never been massively impressed with Holland though would be very glad to be proved wrong. The best I've seen him play was against us for West Ham.

I agree, the players have looked knackered, and have been picking up injuries since the very first game of the season, and for this, the blame lies solely at the door of the management.

It’s the poor approach to preseason training techniques, that even Chris Short made no secret of his disagreement with, that pushes players to exhaustion, with the idiotic and deluded idea that it will stand them in good stead later in games and later in the season, but in fact it just causes fatigue, injuries and burnout, right from the start of the season to the end.

Add to that, bringing in players who consistently struggle to be match fit in the fist place, and not bringing in genuine cover and competition for multiple key positions, and it’s a recipe for disaster.
Is it kr's fascination each season that unless the players are run into the ground before the season starts, that brings along the usual early season mass of injuries? As regular as Christmas day.

Should we really be in a position where we’re saying we need even more money putting in and even more players signing in January? Look at the amount of players there are on the books:

LW: Holland, Bodin, Cooper
RW: Whyte, Williams, Sykes
CF: Taylor, Winnall, Agyei

That is three completely different front lines, and none of them are cheap fodder. Nearly all of them are on very decent wages (some are on actively very large ones), and the ones you might say could be slightly cheaper in Sykes and Cooper, given they were both signed from part-time football and therefore won’t be on mega bucks, both cost six figure fees.

Then you’ve got Henry, Brannagan, McGuane, Kane, Gorrin, Hanson and Chambers-Parillon for the midfield three, plus Forde if you want to include him in his actual position. Brannagan, McGuane and Henry are three of the club’s best earners, Hanson is also on really good money, and Kane will be having a very good chunk of his not insignificant wages covered for Barnsley to let him go after paying over a million quid for him. That’s around 17 players vying for six positions on paper, the vast majority of whom cost a lot of money on fees and/or salaries. To turn around at this point and go, “I’m gonna need another couple I’m afraid” would be pretty ballsy to say the least.

The money and the time to build has been very much put in - they’ve even allowed the club to keep hold of players like Stevens and Brannagan rather than cashing in. At what point does somebody go, “Karl, you’ve had virtually everything you’ve asked for, you’ve pretty much got three sets of forward lines and three sets of midfielders, you need to make this work”? I also don’t know how anybody could look at those players and this squad on paper, consider the money spent on it and believe that we are plucky mid-table underdogs punching above our weight. We spend money at this level. We spend good money.

If he needs to do two out, two in or something similar to improve the quality then fine, but he’s got a squad of about 25 players (not bad considering so many people claim you can’t have two players for each position, and that decent players won’t come if they think they won’t be guaranteed starters), and they’re all ones he signed or chose to keep. He could never, ever claim he has not been backed. And that’s without mentioning how many new contracts and pay rises he’s had.

I think he needs to make it work now - the bigger boys won’t be as in awe of him as Tiger. I think he knows that, too, which is a positive. He needs to make it work.
It's as much about where those players play. We have enough, maybe too much choice in the middle, but looking at things now in hindsight, maybe kr now thinks as many did at the time that we should have brought in an extra striker and defensive options.

I am really glad that someone has had the balls to comment on our current style of play. I, for one, am really fed up with all the ‘tippy tippy’ stuff. It IS ineffective if you are not good enough to make proper use of it and in league one, it’s a style of football that borders on arrogance. We are not Man City !!!
Very much what clotet tried to do. Tippy tappy from the back, moving forward as rabbits in headlights as soon as a chance to shoot came along.

The ‘tippy tappy’ style was lauded following the Charlton game where many commented afterwards that it was the best attacking performance they’d seen from an Oxford side in some time.

Don’t worry, I was at both games so I know there was a stark difference in performance on that day and yesterday but the point I’m making is the approach is not the problem, it’s the execution. It’s got to be quick, decisive, confident etc. It hasn’t been right all the time in these early games which apparently is unacceptable.

All too easy to obsess over the low points when it suits the argument but actually there have been just as many real highs so far which appear to have been totally forgotten.

Last edited:
Just watching the EFL show on Quest. Majority of goals come from working the ball into feet inside the box. Our striker hasn't touched the ball inside the box since the 30th minute of the previous game.

We are great at keeping possession but we need some serious work in the final 3rd. Taylor totally isolated and feeding on awful crosses.

Back
Top Bottom