+++ 18/12/2019 OUFC v Manchester City +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
How fit is Henry? If he's simply not in a state to play then fair enough, but there's been a couple of occasions so far where if we'd had his quality on the ball we might have been in.

RIGHT

Agyei breaking forwards and plays the wrong pass right to Fosu when Taylor was much better placed on the left

TAYLOR breaking forwards with 4 Oxford players getting forwards and he stupidly shoots and blasts it way over!!!

5 v 4 and Taylor shoots from 35 yards. Hope KR motivates at half time if it stays like this

If we play like this in the league we will win many games. This front three and midfield looks electric!

It's only 1-0 at half time and it was a lucky deflection. We're shooting down the slope towards the London Road now, do it for Jim Smith now boys.....

I can forgive Man City's front three tearing us apart, and they aren't. Mahrez is the only danger. Sterling is in Dickie's back pocket, and Bernardo Silva is nowhere.

However, against such an inexperienced back line, we should be more composed in the final third. We should be able to play someone in to a decent position with some of the breaks we've had.

A disappointing scoreline, I don't think we deserve to be losing. No side with any real clear cut chances. Cruel deflection.

What an improvement on the equivalent fixture last year though, we're really taking the game to them. Suspect we'll run out of steam but an impressive showing thus far.

Bit harsh on here, this is Man City we are playing. The game is like last year except we are doing a bit better in my view.

If this was league 1 I’d be disappointed that we hadn’t broken through, and that we’d conceded that goal. But it’s Man City. I’m mainly worried about the last 20 mins when our legs are gone.

Not out of this. Despite the genuine terror in their midfield and attack, that defence looks culpable.

Agyei needs to commit. Athletically he’s perfect for this and that turn showed what he’s capable of. Keep that foot in and keep muscling them about.

Brannagan’s dead balls need work. Conditions aren’t helping, mind. Let’s not give silly fouls and offsides away when we get them though. We’ve had opportunities from those to do something and wasted them with daft ways for the ref to blow his whistle.

Good game though. Enjoying it.

Gulf in class is clear but we are showing them far too much respect. We need to get stuck in, when we have got the chance the final ball has been shite.

Not going to lose any sleep over it but we could get this lot rattled if we get at them!

So that was OK, all things considered. Only OK....but we've still got a shot.

Thought the goal emphasized the difference between the two sides - when we have the ball at the back, Man City have been hitting us with the high press frequently. And they're so good at it, that our passing gets less and less controlled until someone has to hoof it and we usually lose possession.
We try the high press against them once, and half a dozen precise one/two touch passes later, the ball's in the back of our net (via a lucky deflection).

But Rodri and Stirling have been bobbins so far. Just got to try and get a little tighter on Mahrez & Foden…..keep them out, and then make the most of one of our breaks or set pieces.

Dickie has been immense so far...hope Champ teams aren't knocking on the door in January.
Agyei touched the ball for the first time in the 27th minute I think. After that he's coming deeper and it's working better. Long balls won't work tonight...we need to play it on the deck.
Ruffels...love him to bits but this shows he isn't a "real" left back. Long is doing well though.

Half time report:

Wish it was 0-0 still. We’ve played well and limited them to chances. We haven’t had a shot on target but that’s due to several dangerous breaks being ruined by poor passes and decision making.

Archer - poor kicking but some good saves. Nothing he could do with the goal

Long - Looks limited at this level, ok defender but nothing going forwards and a bit dodgy on the ball

Dickie - Quality, strong, assured on the ball, but his long passing isn’t working

Moore - Fine, solid

Ruffels - Having a tough game. Caught out of position for the goal

Gorrin - A great block and some good hassling but his passing and control looked a bit dodgy at times. Also took out Dickie!

Brannigan - You can see his quality and that he’s not quite his usual all action self. What a player, so important if we can keep him fit

Baptiste - Not as good as Brannigan but some good touches

Agyei - He has so much pace and looks very dangerous on the break, but needs to play the right pass

Taylor - Needed to plan a better pass on one break and never should have taken that shot on. Some nice buildup work though

Fosu - What’s happened to him? More of his old self than the last few games but still seems under the weather

Keep it coming.
All I have is twitter and you lot.
firstrowsports.tv should work (it is for me). Just have to be patient clicking on the little "x"s and closing down the pop-up stuff. Good luck (and to us) for the second half.

Personally think we should be proud so far. If the defensive effort. Nerves in the final third are the only reason we’re losing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom