+++ 13/07/20 L1 Play Off FINAL - OUFC v Wycombe+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must NOT give away cheap free-kicks tonight. If we can match their work ethic, get on the ball and pass it
we could do very well. We must move the ball quickly though.

Their main threats are set-plays from Jacobson, Onyedinma has quick feet and Wheeler is deceptively good in the air.
Interesting to see if Bloomfield plays ( he did his groin last Monday ) or whether Thompson starts.

A great opportunity for either team to get into the Championship. Let's hope it's the U's!

Gorrin is going to be hugely important for us this evening. Not only in his defensive, holding midfield role but also making sure the ball is moved quickly after winning back possession.

Good luck Oxford & COYY.

We must NOT give away cheap free-kicks tonight. If we can match their work ethic, get on the ball and pass it
we could do very well. We must move the ball quickly though.

Their main threats are set-plays from Jacobson, Onyedinma has quick feet and Wheeler is deceptively good in the air.
Interesting to see if Bloomfield plays ( he did his groin last Monday ) or whether Thompson starts.

A great opportunity for either team to get into the Championship. Let's hope it's the U's!

Every time Wycombe get a corner or a free kick within goal range Sky should add a sound effect of the robot from Lost In Space saying Danger Karl Robinson

Sky will probably favour Wycombe in their commentary tonight, particularly if Soccer AM favourite Akinfenwa gets on the pitch, so yes, I expect them to labour the point about how dangerous their dead ball game is.

Seems bizarre that I am at work on the day Oxford play at Wembley, would be in a pub by now drinking to cope with the nerves. Instead I am trying to actually do some work for once to not think about the game so much.

Today's the day then.

We all know it'll be horrendous to watch. Win and we get to pit ourselves against ex-PL sides and maybe a couple of former European champions. Lose and it's Northampton and Rochdale next season - plus an A420 derby. There's a lot on the line.

In this strange format, I'd put Wycombe as favourites. They blitzed Fleetwood by playing on the front foot and using their freekicks and corners to good effect. They have a game where natural rhythm isn't needed whereas I think we need that and it can take time to develop. I'm glad of the week between matches though. Those 120 minutes from last Monday shouldn't be affecting our players if the game was only 5 days from then.

Anyway, I'll try to stay occupied today but will certainly be keeping an eye on this forum throughout the day.

Gorrin is going to be hugely important for us this evening. Not only in his defensive, holding midfield role but also making sure the ball is moved quickly after winning back possession.

Good luck Oxford & COYY.

He’s not been at his best in the games against Pomey e.g.being too eager again, thus not reading the game very well, so I hope he finds the level he’s easily capable of this evening.

He’s a key cog in the system, but just needs to settle down and concentrate on his game and what’s going on around him.

Game plan tonight, pass it simple, quickly and move!

If we lose the ball everyone shuts their players down and gets it back, when we win the ball show for it and want it e.g. lose it and we’re all defenders, win it and we’re all attackers!

It’s a simple game, but players make it difficult!

COYY’s

A week ago I was definitely viewing this as a bit of a 'free hit' but now I feel differently.

The 2010 Wembley win may well have kept us in business, and today may be not quite as significant in that context but promotion to the Championship could be a real game changer. If we spent the additional money wisely, and continued our successful player trading model then I think we could compete. From a fan perspective the chance to have games against the likes of Villa, Norwich, Derby, Forest, Reading, Sheff Weds, Stoke is seriously appealing. I started watching in 1990 and my favourite games were always against the likes of Birmingham, West Brom etc, seriously good atmospheres home and away!

As for the game tonight, everyone seems to know the script with Wycombe being direct and us playing our usual passing game. If it works our that way then we need big performances from our centre backs, and from Gorrin in front mopping everything up. I hope we stretch them going forward, and if Taylor doesn't start then I'd be tempted to play Browne down the middle.

I really hope the likes of Dickie and Brannagan get the chance to play with us in the Championship. The result is of course important but regardless of tonight's outcome what a fantastic season from KR, the team and the Board - truly memorable for all the right reasons on and off the pitch. I'm choking up writing this, I'm so proud of this team. Come on Boys, one last push!

Is today dragging or what?

Yes it is. Its a strange feeling too, normally I would be buzzing to get to the game. But same can't be said for watching it on TV. Obviously if we win it will be great but won't be the same not being there. Good thing though is if we lose it won't hurt as much as actually being in the stadium.

So, for those who did an amazing jobs with the flags, did you choose our lucky West End on purpose or just get told where to stick them?

And are any of you still hiding inside the stadium ??

Seems bizarre that I am at work on the day Oxford play at Wembley, would be in a pub by now drinking to cope with the nerves. Instead I am trying to actually do some work for once to not think about the game so much.
Character building

Hasn't sunk it at all that we're playing for a place in the Championship, finding the current situation quite surreal. Still feeling very sad we can't be there for what is probably one of the top 5 biggest matches in my lifetime, if not the club's history.

The nerves haven't kicked in just yet, but I'm sure they will have by the time 7:30pm rolls around.

COYY

Game plan tonight, pass it simple, quickly and move!

If we lose the ball everyone shuts their players down and gets it back, when we win the ball show for it and want it e.g. lose it and we’re all defenders, win it and we’re all attackers!

It’s a simple game, but players make it difficult!

COYY’s
Failing that, score more goals than they do would be the tactics I’d go with.

So, for those who did an amazing jobs with the flags, did you choose our lucky West End on purpose or just get told where to stick them?

And are any of you still hiding inside the stadium ??

They're at the opposite end to where we were for the York game.

But the same end as the Barnsley and Coventry finals.

They're at the opposite end to where we were for the York game.

But the same end as the Barnsley and Coventry finals.

3rd time lucky then I hope. I've just realised it's the 13th of the month too. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom