+++ 03/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 1 - Pompey v OUFC+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was amazed in the SKY tinpot commentary that Jim Smith was managing us at Wembley in `86........... I was convinced we were managed by Maurice and Jim was at QPR for the final. Memory must be playing tricks on me...............

A lot of confidence that we'll breeze past Wycombe in the final if we make it there. They just won away to Fleetwood 4-1 and missed a penalty as well. Not sure we've ever got close to doing that. Respect due.

A lot of confidence that we'll breeze past Wycombe in the final if we make it there. They just won away to Fleetwood 4-1 and missed a penalty as well. Not sure we've ever got close to doing that. Respect due.

Did you see the game? It was clown football.

Did you see the game? It was clown football.
It was a lot different to our game but these two sides finished on practically the same points as us after 35 games and I just don't get the 'we'll breeze past Wycombe' rhetoric. Some on here said that Fleetwood had got a bye to the final when they drew Wycombe - how's that looking now? What odds will you offer me on Wycombe beating us if we play them in the final?

It was a lot different to our game but these two sides finished on practically the same points as us after 35 games and I just don't get the 'we'll breeze past Wycombe' rhetoric. Some on here said that Fleetwood had got a bye to the final when they drew Wycombe - how's that looking now? What odds will you offer me on Wycombe beating us if we play them in the final?
Yep. Also worth noting that the logic of 'we've already beaten them this season' is a bit presumptuous, as that was after them having a man sent off very early on, which obviously we couldn't count on happening again.

Yep. Also worth noting that the logic of 'we've already beaten them this season' is a bit presumptuous, as that was after them having a man sent off very early on, which obviously we couldn't count on happening again.
In fairness, we were much the better side when 11v11 and, if anything, we sat back in the second half.

But certainly no byes at this stage, and we've still got to get past a tough Portsmouth side!

So in the US, on ESPN+, our commentary/pundit team consisted of one bloke who had to basically talk to himself for the entire 90 minutes.

Wasn't particularly insightful, but he did come armed with a massive number of random facts about the season past. Frankly, it was a bit like listening to Statto doing the commentary (90s pop culture reference there).....although I don't think it was actually him.

Still, sounds like we were better off than you guys!

Matty Taylor looked like a man who hadn't trained for weeks, and Burgess is an excellent League One CB. Had him in his pocket.

Buuuut, I'm not really sure at this stage that Mackie or Agyei would reliably be able to offer much more. One's still a bit green, and the other is obviously past it.
At least with Taylor on the pitch, you know that if he does find some space once in the game and/or gets a good bounce then there's a strong chance of him putting it away.

I’d use Mackie to clode the game out.
He gives away needless fouls and lets the opposition punt the ball into the box in that scenario - I’ve seen it happen a good few times this season already. It’s a myth that he’s this canny hold up merchant who keeps the ball safe up the pitch and runs down the clock. He’s actually far more prone to running around and cropping defenders. If Portsmouth are in need of a late goal you do not want him kicking people in the centre circle and inviting their giants into the box for a long ball. Also, in this scenario where extra time can happen rather than it merely being a draw if an equaliser goes in, you do not want to end up stuck with him out there.

If you need a goal he might ruffle feathers and make something happen by getting in their faces. Maybe. But it’s such a myth and a total false economy that he’s a wily old campaigner who shuts down a match.

What got me watching the game last night was Pompey this, Pompey that, as if it was a divine right that they were going to win the lot. Certainly very little about Little Old Oxford who were there just to make the numbers up. Lets hope we can turn them over on Monday then win the final.
I said to my son prior to the game exactly the same. Just because they were in the Prem a few years ago commentator’s seem to think they will win before a ball is kicked. The table said differently!

People having a go at Taylor's lack of match sharpness seem to forget he was only a couple of inches away from getting on the end of a dangerous cross in the first half. He still has the necessary tools, I don't think he's that far away from making the required impact in the second leg. Issue was more that we weren't creating enough for him to feed off of.

They are the biggest team in the league, you know? Too big to be playing in this league. Always the same with Sky, BBC are often worse. Anyone else notice the opening sequence video for the play off games? Oxford are just about featured as a micro second of other teams. Embarrassing for whoever put it together that one of the 4 teams featured is barely acknowledged. Then again, we are only little old Oxford City. . . . . . :rolleyes:
We
Fleetwood had a goalie who screwed up big time. Two goals he flapped at, two he failed to fall on. Having a player sent off after 33 minutes killed the game off, then Madden dived and opened his gob on 84 minutes and deservedly Went.

They are the biggest team in the league, you know? Too big to be playing in this league. Always the same with Sky, BBC are often worse. Anyone else notice the opening sequence video for the play off games? Oxford are just about featured as a micro second of other teams. Embarrassing for whoever put it together that one of the 4 teams featured is barely acknowledged. Then again, we are only little old Oxford City. . . . . . :rolleyes:

Your not wrong there manor

People having a go at Taylor's lack of match sharpness seem to forget he was only a couple of inches away from getting on the end of a dangerous cross in the first half. He still has the necessary tools, I don't think he's that far away from making the required impact in the second leg. Issue was more that we weren't creating enough for him to feed off of.

I think Taylor and Henry will be much sharper with a game under their belt. We didn't play with much fluidity as a team so I would hope that we'll be back on our game on Monday.

Last edited:
Although it's hard to judge Woodburn too much as neither he, Henry or Taylor made any real contribution, and even Brannagan struggled to get on the ball and control the game.

But if we start with Sykes instead of Woodburn, and play him down the right we can then free Henry up into the number 10 role where he can be so effective. Along with Browne we should then have more pace on both flanks, and Sykes is also better at dropping back to help out Long to counter their sulky little child on the left!!

I also wonder if Mackie may start instead of Taylor? Taylor was very quiet and he's playing up against 2 big lumps. Maybe get Mackie dragging them around and pissing them off for 45 minutes, before Matty comes on to take the glory. (I accept not everyone will agree, just putting it out as an option!!!)

Couldn’t agree more, I thought the same, start Mackie, have Taylor coming off the bench and Brown, it could well pay off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom