Home Match Day Thread +++ 13/04/2019 OUFC v AFC Wimbledon Match Day Thread +++

It did make me laugh when the final whistle went and I heard this one loud solitary boo from someone. Deary me, what sort of brain dead mentalist are you? Stay at home snowflake.

Very good performance today, Nelson was magnificent and Dickie not far behind. Barring some excellent keeping, AFC were like their fans, rubbish. End product at times was iffy, but it's nit picking on an overall good performance from OUFC today. Sykes looks a good player and Brannagan quietly ran the game again ?

As for them. Other than Piggott falling over a lot, not all that. Looked slow and reliant on hoofing it to Hanson for Piggott to then fall over. As for their waterboy who wouldn't shake Robbo's hand. Just like your club, small minded and bitter. I hope they go down

There was a genuine gulf in class today. The patient passing moves (two in the first half especially) where we played the ball around and then carved Wimbledon open were passages of dominance and control I have rarely seen between two tams in the same league. Brannagan, Sykes and Mousinho absolutely ran the show in the first half (game started to bypass Mous a bit in the second), a superb midfield performance. I'm not unduly worried with our lack of cutting edge - I am more pleased that we created the chances we did with the possession we had. It would have been more concerning if we hadn't even had the chances.

Whyte a classic example of a promising winger today. All fart no poo. Still absolutely love him though, so exciting. Seems to have developed a great understanding with Sykes and Long down the right. Sinclair strangely poor in the box. I would have thought his confidence is sky high after recent weeks. Still put in the most battling centre-forward display I've seen from him yet, though. The heave of the defender off the ball on the ft touchline in the second half to start an attack was memorable.

Can someone explain to me why Wimbledon were time wasting? Presumably after our recent from they saw today as 'anything gained is a bonus', which I suppose is flattering. But they have a tricky set of remaining fixtures (Luton away, BR and WW still to visit Kingsmeadow, which will be scrappy) so playing for a 0-0 just seems so meek. Their fans came in genuinely impressive numbers but embarrassed themselves by singing chants that were either directed at our manager, or to the tune of chants made famous by Premier League and European clubs in the last year or so. Their keeper was superb, but their #20 might be one of the worst players I have yet seen this season.

All around a generally strangely flat and anticlimactic day. Still not mathematically safe either, which is slightly disappointing, so I imagine we're unlikely to be seeing the youngsters next game. But equally an encouraging performance as an indication of how far we have come this season.

Not sure it was cutting edge, we made quite a few breaks through them, and got the shots away, keeper just had a blinder.

You'd expect a keeper to make a couple of saves, but we did on too many occasions deliver poor final balls/decisions. Also, only having one up front there’s invariably no one in the box.

Worst team we've played this season at home. No doubt about it. As for the fans they're an odd bunch who cared more about Robinson then the 11 they had on the pitch and celebrated a shot that went over the bar like It was a goal.

Hope they go down back to non league.

Excellent performance all round.
Defensively as a unit we were very good. Back in numbers when needed too. Restraining AFC to no shots on target for 90 minutes.

Going forward I thought we moved the ball really well through the midfield and in the final third created loads of chances. On another day it’s 2 or 3 nil. Nothing to complain about I don’t think. Yeah our finishing could’ve been better, more clinical, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

I have to say AFC were terrible and will only be saved from relegation by teams even worse than they are.

Every time we've played against a team down the bottom (especially at home) there's been a huge gulf in class. Today was another example of that.

Ridiculous how we ever ended up in trouble. Wimbledon probably the poorest side we've played all season. Completely devoid of any quality at all.did Eastwood have anything to do?

I think we have some top players and if lessons are learned from last summer we can challenge for the play offs.

A point that ensures safety, we were on the front foot based on the BBC commentary. The post and a good keeper stopped us scoring so I'm happy with the draw.

You'd expect a keeper to make a couple of saves, but we did on too many occasions deliver poor final balls/decisions. Also, only having one up front there’s invariably no one in the box.

It was the quality of the saves as well though, a couple he had no right to keep out. I still wouldn’t class that as “cutting edge” though I think we showed plenty of it, (gav ripped their lb apart time after time) just lack of final finish

Decent result given Wimbledon's form.

Next week should be interesting. Our recent games, have in general, been against lower quality opposition. How will we fare against a good quality Charlton team? Will be a good test.

Wally Downes refused to shake Robinson’s hand after the game apparently, what a t**t.
Was he trying to win some brownie points with the Wimbledon fans maybe? I know Robinson was manager of franchise fc but is there more to the hatred towards him from them that I’ve missed?!

If that was a Boxing match we won a decision by 12 points taking every round, that’s the worst attacking performance I have seen since we played York and Dagenham the season we went up and they went down.

Shame we couldn’t finish them off but the season is effectively over for us now and the games are dead rubbers (anyone who doesn’t think we are safe should get some medication for anxiety). It was a decent performance that just lacked the cutting edge, on that Wimbledon will go down but there is a lot of dross below us so that’s not definite.

Last edited:
Not sure it was cutting edge, we made quite a few breaks through them, and got the shots away, keeper just had a blinder.

Disagree while the keeper made some good saves, he shouldn't have been given a chance on a number of occasions.

2 obvious ones spring to mind with Garbutt in the 1st half and Mackie in the 2nd, when on both occasions they shot at the middle of the goal rather than into the corners. Hit a bit inside the post and the keeper was irrelevant on both occasions.

Back
Top Bottom