Home Match Day Thread 13/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, itโ€™s telling that weโ€™ve obviously struggled defensively when weโ€™ve scored the same # of goals as Portsmouth
Clean sheets are a pipe dream at the moment!
Our GD is probably one of the lowest amongst the genuine playoff ( & autos) contenders as things stand currently

hoping the final placings in the playoffs don't come down to GD
Our goal difference is +14, 6th best in the division, we are currently 6th in the division. Our goal difference is exactly what you'd expect. The teams above us have a better goal difference because they've won more games than us, also the same reason they have more points.
The teams below us, have a worse goal difference, because they've not won as many games......

If Stevenage win their game in hand (by obviously, at least 1 goal), they'll go ahead of us on points and at least level with us on goal difference.
This is all pretty normal....

Our goal difference is +14, 6th best in the division, we are currently 6th in the division. Our goal difference is exactly what you'd expect. The teams above us have a better goal difference because they've won more games than us, also the same reason they have more points.
The teams below us, have a worse goal difference, because they've not won as many games......
fair comment - and thats me told

If Stevenage win their game in hand (by obviously, at least 1 goal), they'll go ahead of us on points and at least level with us on goal difference.
Yes the teams above us are better, im not going in on us in a big way. Iโ€™m impressed with how many weโ€™ve scored. Especially after last seasons nightmare!

The point was that Leyton Orient and Blackpool have a big points difference and goal difference to us which effectively means that their gaps to us is 8 and 9 points respectfully.

Therefore we can say that we've probably got 7 teams fighting for 6 places. And if we can get back to the sort of form that we're capable of, we will remain very much in the mix for the playoffs (even if autos are looking less likely).
This isn't correct either. Let's say over the next 3 games Blackpool make up 8 points on us, they've won 3 games with a GD of at least +3, we'll have lost 2 games and drawn 1 with a GD of at least -2. So our goal difference would be at best +12 and Blackpool's would be at worst +13. So they'd be level on points, with a better goal difference. So they only need 8 points to catch us.
Leyton Orient would need a bigger swing admittedly.

A top half of the table team, would of hammered us last night... Very poor , lucky we was playing another poor team..
How on earth can you not string 2 passes together, without giving it away is beyond me. It reminded me of Sunday pub league football......
I'm not sure you are aware but we are, ourselves, are a top half team, in fact we are a top 6 team!

Still, I get the impression you prefer just to moan and ignore anything good about winning 4-2.

Maybe you would be better off supporting someone like Man City.

This isn't correct either. Let's say over the next 3 games Blackpool make up 8 points on us, they've won 3 games with a GD of at least +3, we'll have lost 2 games and drawn 1 with a GD of at least -2. So our goal difference would be at best +12 and Blackpool's would be at worst +13. So they'd be level on points, with a better goal difference. So they only need 8 points to catch us.
Leyton Orient would need a bigger swing admittedly.

OK, both teams need 8 points to catch us! Either way that's a very healthy gap considering some were only saying a week ago that our season was over!

not necessarily.
A league table is worked out primarily on points scored.
So although it is likely that teams with better GD will be higher up, that isn't always the case.

Look at Exeter and Charlton.
Exeter GD -21 and 39 points.
Charlton GD -5 and 32 points.

It only takes one big win or defeat to change that. eg Bolton 7 - Exeter 0 in November.
Or a lot of wins or defeats by just one goal.

Credit to Des for those first half tactics as they worked absolutely perfectly. The snorefest we were subjected to for 45 minutes made Wigan so sleepy they weren't awake in the 45+3rd minute and were still not recovered when the second half started and we took full advantage. Same again Saturday? Why change a winning formula. Brilliant from Des.

Really good to get the win last night.

Second half was much improved, following that first half abomination.

Being kind, perhaps we can put the first half down to ring rust from some of the new/returning lads.

Dale and Long were particularly poor.

Must keep picking up results.

Credit to Des for those first half tactics as they worked absolutely perfectly. The snorefest we were subjected to for 45 minutes made Wigan so sleepy they weren't awake in the 45+3rd minute and were still not recovered when the second half started and we took full advantage. Same again Saturday? Why change a winning formula. Brilliant from Des.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

But if it works for the next 14 gamesโ€ฆ will you be happy?

Yes the teams above us are better, im not going in on us in a big way. Iโ€™m impressed with how many weโ€™ve scored. Especially after last seasons nightmare!
Well...when we lost our form and with all the injuries we still drew with Pompey, Bolton and Barnsley. So I'm not convinced the teams above us are all better. In my opinion only Bolton looked better than us on the night. We beat Barnsley and Derby away and if we pick up in form and they drop a little, who knows!

Well...when we lost our form and with all the injuries we still drew with Pompey, Bolton and Barnsley. So I'm not convinced the teams above us are all better. In my opinion only Bolton looked better than us on the night. We beat Barnsley and Derby away and if we pick up in form and they drop a little, who knows!

Peterborough were by far the best team we've played, in my opinion......

......but they've started February by losing back-to-back to Wigan, Exeter & Wycombe (heavily).

Just a funny old league this season. Few of the contenders seem to be able to keep it together for a long stretch. It's still there for us this season, if we can.

Seriously late to the party here, but just seen the highlights and Tyler Gโ€™s skill in the buildup to the third goal is just exquisite. His ability to turn on the ball and make space for himself with his first touch reminds me of Maguire - but with pace, and less of the sh1thousery.

Will enjoy him while heโ€™s here because he will have suitors from higher leagues come the summer!

Peterborough were by far the best team we've played, in my opinion......

......but they've started February by losing back-to-back to Wigan, Exeter & Wycombe (heavily).

Just a funny old league this season. Few of the contenders seem to be able to keep it together for a long stretch. It's still there for us this season, if we can.
Yeah, I was at the Peterborough game and they were excellent. Like you said, they have been dropping points so who knows.

Seriously late to the party here, but just seen the highlights and Tyler Gโ€™s skill in the buildup to the third goal is just exquisite. His ability to turn on the ball and make space for himself with his first touch reminds me of Maguire - but with pace, and less of the sh1thousery.

Will enjoy him while heโ€™s here because he will have suitors from higher leagues come the summer!
What I like about Goodenrham is that you can really see how he is progressing all the time.

He was excellent against Portsmouth and Reading, but the last 2 games he seems off it, later on in the game he wouldn't engage with Godo at all. Wouldn't surprise me to see Bennett come back in for one of the home games next week.
Sorry, but who/what is Godo?

Tbf I'm still trying to work out what our playing style is under Desmond. Two home games ago we seemed to go for it 1st half and then revert 2nd half to trying to see out the game by sitting deep and lashing the ball just 10 yards from our penalty box and inviting more pressure than my shower taps. However, last night tbh I was f*cked to knowing what the heck we were trying to achieve 1st half and didn't just scratch my head but the geezers head next to me as it was so uninspiring and pedantic. Nevertheless, 2nd half it seemed to click somehow and I took it (the result) without actually knowing how we done it but we did.

Felt for Long from the North Stand as the criticism was wholesome and unadulterated and he must have heard ever single word sideways but he managed to park that at half time and put in a measured 2nd half to his credit.

Walking back to the car and in the journey back I couldn't quite get it (the tactical game plan) and I think a caller to radox basically said the same that they wasn't sure of our game plan but it sort of worked. Imho I'm not sure Des actually knows too but it worked and I'd take another 14 of these if it gets us the 3 points!

Outside of this loop CB talks the same as many Ox fans who want to win at all costs and I think this geezer knows that his maturing years are starting to call for him. Let's hope Des and his team mates can see this too and we can afford him the chance to play his next few years as a championship player with us.

Let's hope a performance worthy of his ambition kicks off at Adam's Park this weekend.

COYY'S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom