Home Match Day Thread 13/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are serious about getting back into the play offs, and getting a favourable position (3rd or 4th for home game second) then it has to start with a win tonight followed up by another on Saturday.

I have little confidence in us keeping a clean sheet so we need at least 2 goals to win this one, hopefully early enough that it encourages the team to score more and not sit back giving Wigan all the time and space needed to punish us, as we have done so often.

Harris to add another to his 2024 tally and Goodwin to get off the mark, don't care who gets our others πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Just any win will do ,we look like we have the players mostly back let's have a performance raise up the spirit and get everyone up for the run in COYY s

2-1 Ox. Confidence boosting win to take into the M40 Classico on Saturday.

we need at least 2 goals to win this one, hopefully early enough that it encourages the team to score more and not sit back giving Wigan all the time and space needed to punish us, as we have done so often.

At home, we have the best first half record in the division.
Unfortunately our second half record is 19th.

You only need to look at 3 of our last 4 home games to see how we've ended up there (Derby, Reading & Pompey). On course for 9 points at half time. 2 points taken. Add in the Barnsley game and it's one second half goal in the last 4 home games.

Lack of effective options off the bench will be cited. No such excuse now.

At home, we have the best first half record in the division.
Unfortunately our second half record is 19th.

You only need to look at 3 of our last 4 home games to see how we've ended up there (Derby, Reading & Pompey). On course for 9 points at half time. 2 points taken. Add in the Barnsley game and it's one second half goal in the last 4 home games.

Lack of effective options off the bench will be cited. No such excuse now.
Spot on.

All the reasons for not doing great can't be used anymore. He's had more than enough time to settle, he's had a transfer window, and injured players have returned.

Need to start winning!

This'll be a tough game, no doubt about it. Without their points deduction they'd be 9th in the league and have their best player returning from suspension this evening. Our worst performance this season was in the away game too, so hopefully no repeat of that.

Cumming

Long
Moore
Brown
Leigh

Matete
Brannagan

Murphy
Rodrigues
Burey

Harris

Genuine pace on the wings to pin their wing backs back, back 3's are so reliant on the wing play, I'd have Leigh and Long pushed high onto them then the wingers in 'free roles' in the channels where I think it can hurt them. Harris and RR leading the press from the front forcing them to go long, where I have every confidence in Moore and Brown winning most balls. They're a lot weaker with the ball in and around them and being pulled out of position, so hopefully we can stop that at source.

Head says it'll be 1-1, but heart says a 3-1 victory. Brannagan (p), Long and Harris. In front of a crowd of 7,563.

Great to see that the anti Buckingham Posters like @MustardYellow And @SirAndyOfCrosby are at least retrospectively agreeing that we faced an injury crisis, even if they didn't have the grace to acknowledge it at the time .

Sensible to integrate players returning to fitness gradually- but we now have some spectacular possibilities> When Matete, Goodwin and Dale begin to gel and we have the pace of Murphy and Burey then it's going to be a really exciting team to watch I think

I'm also going for 3-1. Goals from Harris Brannagan (pen) and Goodwin.

Great to see that the anti Buckingham Posters like @MustardYellow And @SirAndyOfCrosby are at least retrospectively agreeing that we faced an injury crisis, even if they didn't have the grace to acknowledge it at the time .

Sensible to integrate players returning to fitness gradually- but we now have some spectacular possibilities> When Matete, Goodwin and Dale begin to gel and we have the pace of Murphy and Burey then it's going to be a really exciting team to watch I think
What an interesting assessment of my comments :unsure: Don't recall ever saying we didn't have injured players?

You lose credibility when you start making things up, Chrome.

I'm also going for 3-1. Goals from Harris Brannagan (pen) and Goodwin.
Every time I see the word "gel" in relation to football teams, I am reminded of a preposterous argument put forward by old Salmon-pants Methven himself (the Charlton football genius) on this very forum some years back, that if players were good enough, they didn't NEED to gel into a team, it would just happen.

Clearly Charlton are reaping the benefits of this belief at present.

Every time I see the word "gel" in relation to football teams, I am reminded of a preposterous argument put forward by old Salmon-pants Methven himself (the Charlton football genius) on this very forum some years back, that if players were good enough, they didn't NEED to gel into a team, it would just happen.

Clearly Charlton are reaping the benefits of this belief at present.
That shows the drawback of getting someone off here to run a football club, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom