Current Player #12 Joe Bennett

Considering that he hadn't played all season, he has done really well.
I assume that he has a natural fitness ( there is often talk of players having to do a pre season)?
You can certainly see that he has played at a higher level and I wonder why he didn't get a club in the summer?
I wouod be surprised if he stayed beyond the end of January ( he won't want to be back up to Leigh and there must be clubs out there who will give him a longer term deal?

You can certainly see that he has played at a higher level and I wonder why he didn't get a club in the summer?

He's been playing in the Championship for a long time - he's probably used to a certain level of wages now; held out for those too long and by the time he realized he was going to have to lower his sights, all the top League One teams had already filled the position?

just speculating, but it would make sense

He has a heck of a touch on him I must say, not to mention a good football brain.
Definitely keep till the end of the season.
Wouldn't surprise me if the Jordan Obita situation comes in here though if he keeps impressing, longer contract and more dosh in winter.

Someone tell Des that Brown was player of the year last season so is definitely a tip top left back.
Even at 33 years old Bennett demonstrates what we were all banging on about. We’ve got two excellent options there now and Brown as an emergency third choice is perfectly acceptable but should never ever be our first.

Any news on Bennett’s injury?

As an experienced player he appeared to know straight away he needed to come off,

Good that we have Leigh back, but frustrating for player and club none the less.

Any news on Bennett’s injury?

As an experienced player he appeared to know straight away he needed to come off,

Good that we have Leigh back, but frustrating for player and club none the less.
Matty Taylor said he thought it looked like his calf on RadOx. He might miss Bristol as a best case scenario.

Has/can Bennet play right back?
Think it would be a bit of a risk, when he was younger he played further forward sometimes but always on the left. Could he do a job being a very defensive right back? Maybe. Not sure he'd be any better than Long though (I know lots of our fans loathe Long mind)

Lots of our fans don't "loathe" Sam Long, that's a load of sh*t.
They are, however, concerned about his ongoing form, and the fact that his replacement also hasn't set the world on fire.
Regarding Bennett, if Leigh continues his poor form since his return it's a no-brainer to make the change. Whether you'd put Leigh further forward or use him off the bench is a different matter.

Have you seen some of Longs passing in the last few games? Not sure being right footed is helping him.

It was just a question, you get a few players comfortable on either side, like Jamie Hanson.

Oops. Bennett seems like the least two-footed player I've watched for some time. He's a solid left back whose primary defect is that he seems to be unable to pass forward with his wrong foot, if he's got to turn inside he always plays it back with his left. My implication was that he's even more unsuitable than most dedicated left backs to shift across.

Hanson may have been equally comfortable on both sides of the pitch but he was equally inept on both too. I'm not claiming that there are no players capable of playing either side but I doubt you'll see them in division 3.

Oops. Bennett seems like the least two-footed player I've watched for some time. He's a solid left back whose primary defect is that he seems to be unable to pass forward with his wrong foot, if he's got to turn inside he always plays it back with his left. My implication was that he's even more unsuitable than most dedicated left backs to shift across.

Hanson may have been equally comfortable on both sides of the pitch but he was equally inept on both too. I'm not claiming that there are no players capable of playing either side but I doubt you'll see them in division 3.

Fair enough, not really noticed him that, just that he seems a bit more solid than our current right back at the moment. Back to the drawing board in the hunt for a right back, what's Eastwood like there?

Back
Top Bottom