Ex Player Joe Rothwell

Good luck Joe.
At times he looked a really good player and I enjoyed watching him play.
My worry would be whether he can stay fit enough to play many games.

Probably trebled his wages at Blackburn but will he get a game.
Do you think that's really a factor when you get a huge pay rise and get to live back with your girlfriend? Worst case scenario he doesn't make it and at the end of his contract he joins a Bury / Rochdale / Oldham / Blackpool style club and stays up there for the rest of his career doing just fine.

Playing football is not his sole aim.

We sure need some players in, 10-12 I would say, starting from scratch this season, getting too familiar this.....

Technically gifted, yes...but you have to use it on a constant basis at the end of the day. And this was what he never did (alongside injuries).
He goes with my best wishes, notwithstanding.

Blew hot and cold... or injured. Some great performances at times but definitely not a player I’m going to leave sleep over.... unlike Eastwood or Nelson etc. Good luck to him! I think he’ll bench warm for a season, get paid well and be L1 or 2 after that. If it was the reverse situation and I was in Blackburn with an offer to return to my home town on better money I wouldn’t even think about signing the contract.

Good luck Joe and thank you. It was always a pleasure to see you head down going at defences and always there when needed in defence.

We sure need some players in, 10-12 I would say, starting from scratch this season, getting too familiar this.....
No way 10 -12.
Starting from scratch?
Eastwood
Dickie Nelson
Ruffles Brannaghan
Carruthers
Henry, Napa

So 6 to 7 starters there. Plus Shearer/ Stevens, Carroll Mousinho, Obika, Long, as back up.
Of course we need new players but IF Nelson stays we have a decent spine of a team

Can’t be denied it’s a great move for him and a great opportunity. I completely understand why he couldn’t turn their offer down. There was no better sight than Rothwell running at opposition defences but his injury record was a concern, as was the sight of all that strapping he needed to wear during games. If he can get his body right he’ll be an awesome player. I wish him well.

No way 10 -12.
Starting from scratch?
Eastwood
Dickie Nelson
Ruffles Brannaghan
Carruthers
Henry, Napa

So 6 to 7 starters there. Plus Shearer/ Stevens, Carroll Mousinho, Obika, Long, as back up.
Of course we need new players but IF Nelson stays we have a decent spine of a team

Nelson an interesting one.

For financial prudence you sell now

Or You get one last season out of him for a big push and he goes for free

No way 10 -12.
Starting from scratch?
Eastwood
Dickie Nelson
Ruffles Brannaghan
Carruthers
Henry, Napa

Ain’t u missing a positive option again ?

Or you sign him up to a long term deal.

So not only must we develop our young players we should be looking more south for players rather than north, if we can snaffle players from Birmingham down to the south coast then perhaps more might stay.

Exactly, we should be looking at players who don't quite make the grade at Southampton and maybe the London clubs

Exactly, we should be looking at players who don't quite make the grade at Southampton and maybe the London clubs
We should perhaps look at Bournemouth and Brighton younger/ squad players ...as well as the same at some of the higher division London clubs too

Last edited:
So not only must we develop our young players we should be looking more south for players rather than north, if we can snaffle players from Birmingham down to the south coast then perhaps more might stay.

Like Armani Little you mean ?

I agree. I reckon that the club are trying to do an Eastwood kind of deal. So tie him to a three year deal with a get out clause after a year at a certain price. I guess that they are trying to do the same thing with Robbie Hall.

With both Hall and Nelson they have had long term injuries so it may give them some certainty as well as the option to get out if we are not successful.

But as you suggest it would be a big risk to keep Nelson and Hall with just one yeasr of their contracts left.

I hope he makes it there, always thought he was a quality player who we didn't use correctly for much of his time.

I remember wishing for a 4-3-3 Ledson, Lunny and Rothwell in midfield, all quality players with different skill sets, but don't think we saw it very often. Probably the victim of his playstyle a little, his dribbling meant he got shoved out wide quite a bit from what I remember, I always thought he was at his best having licence to get forwards from midfield and take people on.

Back
Top Bottom