Away Match Day Thread 10/02/2024 L1: Blackpool FC v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We started both halves appallingly, our game riddled with individual mistakes .

Then we started to play. Blackpool’s defence is the reason they won’t get on the play- offs. On another day we win that 4-2.

Get pace into the team and we look a totally different prospect.

Like the Blackpool ground , would be very happy for Triangle to have a similar cauldron like atmosphere. They’re a good club with decent supporters. .

Individually:

Cumming: very assured, one absolute humdinger of a save.

Long: decent defender, gives his all, don’t get him overlapping, it’s not his strong suite. We were much more robust with him back.

Leigh, again someone who concentrated on defensive duties, and we were none the worse for that.
Presumably both under orders from Des.

Moore, immense th the air, good technique, Brown likewise. Played the considerable Blsckpool striking threat well.

We all know they’re not the quickest, that’s why you need a mobile effective consistent shield in front of them.

McGuane, seemed to be clutching his thigh on occasion, suspect he’s playing with injections. A disappointing performance; needs the hook.

Bran, can’t fault his commitment, some of the passing and set pieces iffy but he did set up the goal. Sense he has to spend too much time coping with MCG inadequacies. Always firsr name on the team sheet.

RR, always has his moments but needs a rest, playing like he’s knackered.

Goodrham, likewise, needs a rest, one superb turn notwithstanding .

Burey, no idea what this man will do minute to minute, lightning quick.

Harris. MOM: holds up the ball excellently. Matete, pick of subs; cOYY

Last edited:
The save from Jamie Cumming was right out of the top drawer.

What a save!

Last edited:
We really should have won that - we had the chances to. Just can’t seem to go on and score 2, 3, 4 goals at the moment.

Absolutely zero chance we make the top two but with the number and quality of players we have coming back, and given how the other top sides are stumbling, we should really be making the playoffs this season.

The U’s at Bloomfield Road.

GGANLdVW8AA8p00

What a difference having a decent bench makes.

I’d be tempted starting a front 3 on Tues of:-

Burey (Left), Harris, Dale (Right)

Then a midfield 3 of:-

Matete (even if he can only do 50 as part of a managed comeback) Cam Bran and Ruben

If Wycombe are of a similar style to previous years, possibly bring Marcus back on Sat with Ruben coming on to open them up in 2nd half (like he did away at Derby in August).

I think a couple of the players look jaded (Marcus and Ruben in particular), so the chance to partially threat then looks a good option…

I think some of the mental limitations in our squad are quite bizarre and damaging to our promotion hopes.

Physically and technically we are quite good really, but it’s not just questionable decision making under pressure (which is common in lower league players), it’s like multiple players have a major glitch when faced with a clear and obvious choice with ample time on their side.
It was absolutely crazy that we didn’t score 3 goals yesterday.

Unorganised in the press
Marcus McGuane miles off it

First one absolutely gets on my nerves ! It’s not about who we have in the side, who’s injured etc. We just can’t press properly under Des. There is absolutely no point in pressing and not pressing as a team. We leave easy outlets for the player on the ball and therefore it’s unlikely to be effective and we’re just wasting energy. The opposition easily play out of it and it’s pointless. We also seem to press for the sake of it instead of looking for the right moment and surprising the opposition.
Having said all that, if the opposition hit it long I’m not sure we’d pick up the second ball from our defence winning the long ball. So maybe it’s good our press is all over the place.

Second. McGuane arrives at OUFC and looks amazing. KR beats the footballer out of him, LM somehow gets him back to his best and he’s looking the business and scoring goals, now under Des he’s almost back to his KR form? The McGuane paradox! Who knows?

Oxford definitely looked like they had a plan yesterday.
Cumming so much better in the number one slot.
Matete looked a really fine player and Burey is a lightning quick player we have needed for some time.
With Harris firing and Goodwin now in the reckoning we look anything but lightweight.
Disappointed we didn’t win but Blackpool are the best team at home so we did well not to lose it.
The defence looked more shored up with Leigh and Long.
We now have some strength on the bench, and think McGuane and Goodrham might well be bench warmers for Wigan.
I’m hoping too we will see Josh Murphy enter the fray a bit more now, maybe a goal or two on his birthday against Leyton Orient

First one absolutely gets on my nerves ! It’s not about who we have in the side, who’s injured etc. We just can’t press properly under Des. There is absolutely no point in pressing and not pressing as a team. We leave easy outlets for the player on the ball and therefore it’s unlikely to be effective and we’re just wasting energy. The opposition easily play out of it and it’s pointless. We also seem to press for the sake of it instead of looking for the right moment and surprising the opposition.
Having said all that, if the opposition hit it long I’m not sure we’d pick up the second ball from our defence winning the long ball. So maybe it’s good our press is all over the place.

Second. McGuane arrives at OUFC and looks amazing. KR beats the footballer out of him, LM somehow gets him back to his best and he’s looking the business and scoring goals, now under Des he’s almost back to his KR form? The McGuane paradox! Who knows?
McGuane's form tailed off long before Manning left. He's actually scored more goals since Des has been here than he had in over 100 games prior. He also did the same trick last season where he was brilliant for a couple of months before tailing off, he's got everything you need to dominate at this level but doesn't seem to have the mentality to keep it up, not something you can blame on Buckingham.

Agree about the press. I didn't see the game yesterday but it's been really poor in the games I have seen and I've made that point before. It's often just Harris and Rodrigues pressing and it's so easy to play around leaving us with massive gap to play through. Either do it properly with some bravery or aggression or don't do it at all and look to keep your shape.

I have it that we need to win at least 7 of the remaining 15 games and draw 3/4 to make the playoffs. As most of those wins will likely come at home, the next two Tuesdays if we don’t win in one of those games, we’ll fall short. Getting to crunch time with the encouragement of players returning. COYY

I have it that we need to win at least 7 of the remaining 15 games and draw 3/4 to make the playoffs. As most of those wins will likely come at home, the next two Tuesdays if we don’t win in one of those games, we’ll fall short. Getting to crunch time with the encouragement of players returning. COYY

Probably more like 8, even 9 wins needed.

Rest of this month is crucial. 4 games, all against mid-table sides, 3 of which are at home. Really needs to be 10 points minimum and anything fewer than 8 would be really poor.

We've got a nice run of fixtures from matchday 39-43 inclusive - but if we don't get 4 wins in the 7 games before then we may already be too far off it.

You're absolutely right, it's too easy for teams to either play through us or around us.
Don't get me started on defending dead ball situations.
When are we going to keep a clean sheet.
Probably not very often until Buckingham can coach this team to be more compact when we haven't got the ball.
The addition of Metete would help in this regard.
He's the head coach, it's his remit to set the team up, the formation, the tactics, how do we defend, how do we attack teams.
Are we going for the high press or the low block.
It seems to me we are caught between the two.
With the more attacking players coming back, I'm confident we have goals in us.
But to turn draws into wins we have to be better defensively.
Get this right and this season could still have an exciting outcome.

Decent piece on former U Marvin Ekpiteta who was coached by Des Buckingham back in 2011.

It was him that cleared off the line from Harris first half, wasn't it? Possibly with his face?

Yes, McGuane should have finished it rather than passed it, but it was still an amazing piece of defending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom