Away Match Day Thread 10/02/2024 L1: Blackpool FC v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure that is embarrassing?
Reading average 12,500 home supporters. It is hardly surprising that their away support is slightly higher than ours?
I'd always thought of Reading as a similar sized club to ourselves, boosted by the "plastics" during their EPL years together with a modern ground, and that their attendances would revert to the norm of 7,500 or so once they are back to a L1 level. So I am surprised they still get 12,500 home supporters. I'd also assumed the same plastic fans wouldn't bother with away games, and you'd be back to a hardcore support.

I'd always thought of Reading as a similar sized club to ourselves, boosted by the "plastics" during their EPL years together with a modern ground, and that their attendances would revert to the norm of 7,500 or so once they are back to a L1 level. So I am surprised they still get 12,500 home supporters. I'd also assumed the same plastic fans wouldn't bother with away games, and you'd be back to a hardcore support.
As many as that? I do remember they regularly got sub 3,000 crowds and Elms Park

If they go down this season, I could see the support dropping a lot.
I wonder if the problems with the owner has galvanised support?

Not sure that is embarrassing?
Reading average 12,500 home supporters. It is hardly surprising that their away support is slightly higher than ours?
Reading have consistently averaged less away fans than us for about a decade despite playing in higher leagues. This is the first season for many many years their away attendances are up purely because they have some new grounds to visit.

Reading averaged 715, 920, 958 in the Championship before and after the covid season.

Oxford averaged 1048, 906 and 1055 in League One over same period.

Reading have consistently averaged less away fans than us for about a decade despite playing in higher leagues. This is the first season for many many years their away attendances are up purely because they have some new grounds to visit.

Reading averaged 715, 920, 958 in the Championship before and after the covid season.

Oxford averaged 1048, 906 and 1055 in League One over same period.
Oxford's have gone up a little this season.
Readings meanwhile have increased significantly.
I guess that is due to neing in a new league, new grounds to see, plus their perilous position?

The first season we had in the conference we took well over 1k to every Saturday away game, I looked back through those fixtures and can only see a handful we had under 1k at, a few of those being Tuesday nights. I went to every Saturday away game that season. The difference some unity in difficult circumstances and new grounds can make is huge. Not to mention that was Readings first Premier League season meaning any neutral local football fans were not remotely interested in Oxford.

If they go down this season, I could see the support dropping a lot.
I wonder if the problems with the owner has galvanised support?
Here is my take fwiw.

If they stay (Reading) in league 1 next season then their away and home gates will drop quite heavily especially if they start poorly. However, start well and they could become resurgent once again because even though they have been in a freefall it has only been a youngish one of around 5 to 6 seasons whereas our freefall was much much longer - theoretically when k*ssam took on the reigns some fans from that era f*cked right off some never to return. Included in that mass exodus was fans who enjoyed the priory etc etc plus of course over the seasons to follow the decline of the stadium's welfare added a few more hundred to the casualty list.

Nevertheless, in the away attendance figures for the biscuitmen there will always be several hundred new ground huggers that will be evident (look at our conference away day figures) although another stint in league 1 next season could stunt that figure unless a great start to the new season ensues.

Tbf from their new ground bounce of near on 12 to 14k early Madejski days fans/ families could see what a decent stadium can bring as their crowds increased more than ever on their surge to the premiersh*t and when you get in a habit of going it can stick, however, you will of course see some fall away with relegations but nevertheless 50% + will stick around and follow the club through its next chapter. But, this latest plight of will they survive this current season (I personally, couldn't care less about them) could of course have a each way chance on home and away attendances next season. As previously stated - stay in league 1 next year and have a sh*t start and decline will hit both home and away figures. Start well and home and away crowds will prosper and aided and abetted with a reasonable ground to boot the support will come back twofold - it's what happens with a relatively new core support that they have built up over the last 25 odd years with championship and prem football. With us everything went against us and generations got lost.

However, if the biscuits melt and go down again the home crowd will suffer but strangely the away support could still be strong (new grounds). But as Jimmy Greaves used to say its a 'funny ol' game'.

For us, get the planning through, dig out that first sod and hopefully, we'll gain some of the lost souls back but this time with perhaps their grandchildren lol.

Reading Fc has had enough lady luck on their side to have lost just a few overboard whereas our 20 to 25 year decline with a few decent seasons in between was our nemesis.

And yes, the Elm Park days of Reading saw really sh*t crowds but it was amazing what a new stadium can bring and with it good ownership (Madejski days). Hopefully, this will be the case with us and we can have a better future in a couple of years to come as RFC are in great (pleasurable) danger as a basket case of a club.

Get up there tomorrow and at Wycombe on Saturday as I'm very hopeful that Buckingham is now "on the way" to the.......

COYY'S

Here is my take fwiw.

If they stay (Reading) in league 1 next season then their away and home gates will drop quite heavily especially if they start poorly. However, start well and they could become resurgent once again because even though they have been in a freefall it has only been a youngish one of around 5 to 6 seasons whereas our freefall was much much longer - theoretically when k*ssam took on the reigns some fans from that era f*cked right off some never to return. Included in that mass exodus was fans who enjoyed the priory etc etc plus of course over the seasons to follow the decline of the stadium's welfare added a few more hundred to the casualty list.

Nevertheless, in the away attendance figures for the biscuitmen there will always be several hundred new ground huggers that will be evident (look at our conference away day figures) although another stint in league 1 next season could stunt that figure unless a great start to the new season ensues.

Tbf from their new ground bounce of near on 12 to 14k early Madejski days fans/ families could see what a decent stadium can bring as their crowds increased more than ever on their surge to the premiersh*t and when you get in a habit of going it can stick, however, you will of course see some fall away with relegations but nevertheless 50% + will stick around and follow the club through its next chapter. But, this latest plight of will they survive this current season (I personally, couldn't care less about them) could of course have a each way chance on home and away attendances next season. As previously stated - stay in league 1 next year and have a sh*t start and decline will hit both home and away figures. Start well and home and away crowds will prosper and aided and abetted with a reasonable ground to boot the support will come back twofold - it's what happens with a relatively new core support that they have built up over the last 25 odd years with championship and prem football. With us everything went against us and generations got lost.

However, if the biscuits melt and go down again the home crowd will suffer but strangely the away support could still be strong (new grounds). But as Jimmy Greaves used to say its a 'funny ol' game'.

For us, get the planning through, dig out that first sod and hopefully, we'll gain some of the lost souls back but this time with perhaps their grandchildren lol.

Reading Fc has had enough lady luck on their side to have lost just a few overboard whereas our 20 to 25 year decline with a few decent seasons in between was our nemesis.

And yes, the Elm Park days of Reading saw really sh*t crowds but it was amazing what a new stadium can bring and with it good ownership (Madejski days). Hopefully, this will be the case with us and we can have a better future in a couple of years to come as RFC are in great (pleasurable) danger as a basket case of a club.

Get up there tomorrow and at Wycombe on Saturday as I'm very hopeful that Buckingham is now "on the way" to the.......

COYY'S
I think that once people get in the habit of supporting their local club like Reading, it becomes something that's difficult to drop. If you consider the current alternatives of the popular London clubs, season tickets are expensive, and with variable kick-off times, you can't rely on going to home games on a Saturday at 3pm or an occasional midweek night like we are used to.

Reading built a new ground, had two promotions to the premier league and spent 20 plus years in the top two tiers, played in a semi final or two as well, you would hope that would help you pick up a few fans.

We on the other hand haven’t played in the top two tiers for a quarter of a century, play in one of the worst grounds in England. Not exactly the sort of thing that sees you grow your fan base massively.

We on the other hand haven’t played in the top two tiers for a quarter of a century, play in one of the worst grounds in England. Not exactly the sort of thing that sees you grow your fan base massively.
Well true, but our crowds have steadily grown to the extent that they are the best since, what 1984?
As christenedinjehrico suggested, the new ground could see a big improvement in our crowds ( and if we are in the Championship many games could sell out)

Well true, but our crowds have steadily grown to the extent that they are the best since, what 1984?
As christenedinjehrico suggested, the new ground could see a big improvement in our crowds ( and if we are in the Championship many games could sell out)

Not saying we are doing badly but we haven’t had a big impetus, crowd booster during footballs boom years, we were terrible for 10 years then, while we have progressed, it’s been a promotion followed by consolidation, then another promotion followed by more consolidation. The level we are at and have been at for the last quarter of a century, third division and below doesn’t get the general publics attention.

Reading getting a couple of thousand extra at home isn’t that impressive when you consider they have been in higher profile leagues for the last 20 years and add to that they have a finished stadium not the disaster move we had.

GGEXVAQXcAAFI7q
Looks like they still love a shell suit up t’north.
And a bit of stoney and berbs.

I disagree. You posted: "(Stevenage came back to win, unfortunately)" while the game was still going on.

If you had posted e.g. "Stevenage came back to lead", that would have been correct.
You're wrong.

My mistake was to post too early, not getting the names wrong. Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom