Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
The matches seem to be coming thick and fast now.

At time of writing this post, the weather is set to be a warm 12oC!

I'm losing count of the amount of posts citing the loss of Leigh and Edwards as the primary reason for our inability to score a goal or win a game.

There appears to be a collective amnesia that they both signed a month into the season - a month that had us top of the table.

Two great players of course - but we looked a decent outfit before them and we have enough in our squad to still be decent in their absence.

We have far bigger, fundamental, problems than the temporary absence of Leigh and Edwards.
Exactly! How many times did Edwards actually play? I've hardly seen him and I've only missed one home game. I think we were overachieving slightly and now the cracks are showing more. Buckingham has had to come in and do a Manning impersonation in that he didn't want to disrupt a winning style. He'll now impose more of his own ideas and let's hope they're good.

I'm losing count of the amount of posts citing the loss of Leigh and Edwards as the primary reason for our inability to score a goal or win a game.

There appears to be a collective amnesia that they both signed a month into the season - a month that had us top of the table.

Two great players of course - but we looked a decent outfit before them and we have enough in our squad to still be decent in their absence.

We have far bigger, fundamental, problems than the temporary absence of Leigh and Edwards.

Could iy be that the likes of Bodin, McGuane, and others, have only ever performed in fits and starts, and only ever will?

Could iy be that the likes of Bodin, McGuane, and others, have only ever performed in fits and starts, and only ever will?
They've both been good this season but are having a bit of a dip now. We don't have many players with the consistency of say Cam and Brown.

Having paid a very hefty sum to release Des from his City Group contract and then giving him a 3.5 year deal, unless there‘s something seriously amiss behind the scenes I’m sure the board will give him a lot of time as well as a few transfer windows. He‘s only been here 5 games and 3 weeks!
Yep, I’m firmly in the ‘give him more time‘ camp, not the knee jerk ‘he was never the right choice in the first place’ camp.

Sorry if already asked but did Des give any update on the Ruben injury?

On the train to P'boro from Edinburgh! 8 hour round trip today to watch the game with my family. COYY
Following Oxford, I don't expect to win every week. However, that was a pretty poor showing.

I do think people are getting carried away though, we have a play off standard squad and I think we will finish in there. Keep the faith!

Beadle, Stevens and Murphy I thought were good today. A really important run of 4 winnable league games ahead now.

2 hours until I'm home, COYY.

What a load of B*****s. Mills is as fast as any of them.

It's not as simple as one dimension.
Speed versus commitment/delivery, something is missing. Speed is not enough if you can't read the game and use that speed to take advantage of it.

How many really good performances have we had since the end of September? Lincoln? That's probably it.

We've a good squad, but it's lacking in forward options and we're currently (arguably) down our two best wingers, our best full back and another solid defender.

On top of that, several of our players who had epically good starts to the season have cooled off significantly the last couple of months (McGuane chief amongst them. He was the best player in the league in August/September.....he isn't right now, and hasn't been for a while).

To pile everything on Des' head is ridiculous.

Now we have four games in a row against poor teams to pick up some points, and then the January window. Judge him after that, if you like, but give the guy a chance!

Beadle saved us from getting a real hiding, and Murphy made a difference in the second half. I thought Stevens' distribution was very suspect at times though.

We should sign Ali al hamadi from Wimbledon 10 goals 5 assists this season and 10 goals in 19 last season

Not great today. First twenty we were ok, without creating much but then it went to pot.

Said it before, Mills is very one dimensional. If he can knock the ball past his man and out sprint them he is ok, other than that he does not seem to have a lot unfortunately.

Their front three/four were excellent. Rodrigues had an off day, holding on too long etc. Bodin too. Goodrham had some energy when he came on but gave the ball away a lot. Murphy was good.

Harris struggled to do the stuff he is good at. We just didn't press as a unit.

Ref was awful. Stonewall penalty appeals waved away and the pitch was one of the worst I have seen. No excuses though, better team won.

Now is not the time to get on Buckingham's back though but rather get behind him. It's early days and I'm hopeful the players will be well up for Tuesday night.

How many really good performances have we had since the end of September? Lincoln? That's probably it.

We've a good squad, but it's lacking in forward options and we're currently (arguably) down our two best wingers, our best full back and another solid defender.

On top of that, several of our players who had epically good starts to the season have cooled off significantly the last couple of months (McGuane chief amongst them. He was the best player in the league in August/September.....he isn't right now, and hasn't been for a while).

To pile everything on Des' head is ridiculous.

Now we have four games in a row against poor teams to pick up some points, and then the January window. Judge him after that, if you like, but give the guy a chance!
Good positive thinking?

Any honeymoon period well and truly over. If we lose at Reading with another blank then I think there will be serious concerns as to whether we’ve made the right choice. Hopefully get something Tuesday to restore a bit of hope that we can hang on to a play off place.
Agreed, but what is the step the board need to take to make us that team, many of us thought a couple of weeks ago?
Much more money up front?

Agreed, but what is the step the board need to take to make us that team, many of us thought a couple of weeks ago?
Much more money up front?

Bring some forwards in. It’s our weakest area by a mile, so it’s the the area which will see the biggest gains.

If there were plans to strengthen other areas but neglect the forward positions (again) then those plans need to be thrown out.

What are they?

Leaderless defence devoid of pace.
Suspect full/wing backs (one of the most regular of which is our best centre back).
A midfield engine room of 2 (Brannagan & McGuane) supported by an elderly chap who's rarely finished 20 games in recent seasons, which in conjunction with the next point means they're quite easy to mark out of the game (given the lack of movement ahead of them in general).
Luxury attacking midfielders who aren't reliable (Rodriguez) or are ball-shy (Bodin).
A range of barely or sporadically effective wingers.
No strikers worth the name.

The injured players are more dynamic and move better but they're not changing the game, as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom