Away Match Build Up 09/12/2023 L1 : Peterborough United v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure they’ll go with Harris wide - but I do think he’s looked SO devoid of confidence up front. And since we’re relatively sparse on wide options already it can’t be a bad shout to have him play wide therefore allowing us to play both Bodin and Rodrigues centrally

(And gives us more cover since relying on Murphy to start games regularly given his ‘fitness’ record for us over the last 2 years is the very definition of insanity. I think his role as impact sub is just perfect for him)

View attachment 17071

For me, Harris has only looked any good when he’s received the ball in wide areas, and got good crosses in, particularly when he kept receiving the ball on the right against Bolton in the first half, so I’d like to see him moved out to the right, and see what he can produce.

Murphy has to start. He simply has to. He’s playing very well, full of confidence and enthusiasm, and deserves to start.

Smyth did very well at RB on Tuesday, and in my opinion looked much better than Stevens ever has at any point, so give him another go.

Like the look of Bennett, seems very accomplished at LB, but I doubt he’s ready to be starting again so soon after Tuesday, so ease him in. Give him half hour in the 2nd half.

Would take a point right now, but hope we go for the throat and bring back all three!

COYY
I appreciate that this is a forum for opinion but one game at right back against a poor 4th division team and you think he’s shown more than Stevens ever has? So he should be thrown in against one of the better teams in the division on that basis? That is reckless at best.

As for Bennett, he should be used if we need defensive reinforcement but not in some pre-planned way. React to the game.

I appreciate that this is a forum for opinion but one game at right back against a poor 4th division team and you think he’s shown more than Stevens ever has? So he should be thrown in against one of the better teams in the division on that basis? That is reckless at best.

I like the cut of this guy's jib.

(And gives us more cover since relying on Murphy to start games regularly given his ‘fitness’ record for us over the last 2 years is the very definition of insanity. I think his role as impact sub is just perfect for him)
I don’t really understand this, you’re saying because Murphy has been injured/unavailable before then he shouldn’t start now even though he’s fit and playing well?

Beadle
Stevens - Moore - Brown - Bennett
McGuane - Brannagan
Mills - Bodin - Murphy
Harris

If Harris is poor again, bring on Goodrham at half time and move Bodin upfront and Murphy into the middle.

I don’t really understand this, you’re saying because Murphy has been injured/unavailable before then he shouldn’t start now even though he’s fit and playing well?

I don’t mind him starting. But we’re playing Tuesday/Saturday almost constantly - and this is someone who has broken down almost every time we’ve asked him to play much more than an hour regularly in his entire tenure at the club.

I’m saying I would rather have him available, on the bench and able to make a meaningful 20-45 minute contribution in EVERY match (a role he’s excelled in this season) rather than starting him twice then having him become another victim to the hamstring curse and missing for the next 6 weeks.

(Clearly my choice would be we have some slightly more robust players who we aren’t constantly having to manage like Browne, Murphy etc - but such is the hand dealt to us by KR!)

As for Bennett, he should be used if we need defensive reinforcement but not in some pre-planned way. React to the game.
I agree with you @Big Ron . The other plus is that bringing Murphy on as a sub when the full back is knackered and leggy is surely the right option.

Went to Peterborough away the covid season. Lost 5 nil, its a crap journey, the away section was shocking, worst seats and toilets I've ever seen in the efl and cost about 28 quid. Vowed I would never return regardless of the game. Even emailed them to complain.
We lost 4-0.

Beadle
Stevens - Moore - Brown - Bennett
McGuane- Brannagan
Mills- Rodrigues - Murphy
Bodin

Bring on Harris and Gooodrham to give some energy and pace on the hour mark, not certain Bodin is 90 minute man as a lone centre forward but it also takes Harris out of the firing line plus he may get a goal against tiring legs.

Last edited:
You do know we played a team near the bottom of the division below us?
Ordinarily I would never suggest such a thing, but it just shows how much I'm afraid I don't rate Stevens, and would like us to explore other options, until we hopefully bring in an accomplished RB in January

Beadle
Stevens Moore Brown Bennett
McGuane Brannagan
Goodrham Rodders Murphy
Harris

Subs: Eastwood, Thornley, Smyth, Mills, McEachran, Bodin, GOD​

Last edited:
Mills not even on the bench?

Of course, you have to ensure there is space on the bench for *checks notes* three defensive midfielders - they notoriously change games.

In fact, that bench has got to be the most one-dimensional I've ever seen, not a single player who can beat a man with skill or out-pace a defender in a 50/50 race. If we're behind with 20 minutes to go and our attacking players are flagging - there is literally nothing we can do about it. Nothing.

Beadle
Stevens Moore Brown Bennett
McGuane Brannagan
Goodrham Rodders Murphy
Harris

Subs: Eastwood, Thornley, Smyth, Mills, McEachran, Bodin, GOD​
I agree with that lineup apart from Bennett. It’s too soon. I’d start Thorniley and move Brown to left back.

It’ll be a difficult game but we should be frightened of no-one in this league:

Peterborough United 1 - Oxford United 2.

Subs
Eastwood, Thorniley, Gorrin, Mceachran Smyth, Bodin, Goodrham

Prediction: in a radical move Des plays Woltman and Perkins up front and they get a brace each.

I wonder what odds I’d get on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom