Home Match Day Thread 09/03/2024 L1: OUFC v Cheltenham Town

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes that take down and pass forward when he was 20 yards out was fantastic. I hope they stay up they battle well.
He was often far up the pitch. There was one point where I was wondering why the Cheltenham player was passing to the referee for a moment.

Two very good goals from us but boy was that a drag otherwise. We seem to have little idea what to do with the ball other than past it across the back line and rarely string two passes together once it goes forward.

Maybe we should deliberately concede in the first 5 minutes of a game as it's the only thing that fires us into life!๐Ÿ˜ตโ€๐Ÿ’ซ

Last edited:
Very pleased with the 3 points .
Very pleased that we have Greg Leigh .
Very pleased we have signed Dale.
Need to start Goodwin and Dale and Harris- they are here next season and need to build an understanding.
Looking forward to the trip to Bolton .
Probably the last coach from the Kassam .

Just picked this up of their forum

This game has been there for the taking. Just a bunch of useless bottlejobs

Poor today but we'll take the 3 points. Points are important but you also need to look at how you get there. We wer excellent against Pompey but poor today bar a couple of spells, all well and good when you're playing Cheltenham but against the better teams it won't fly. Purkiss made the point on The Dub that the best teams set the tempo regardless of the opposition, we raised it against Portsmouth but against some incredibly limited cloggers we dropped right off again.

Dale clearly man of the match and I wish a few more had his attitude. Watch him before the game geeing his team mates up and he also plays to the crowd a bit, it's such an easy win but not many do it. Brannagan did well and Rodrigues was involved in the spells when we played some good stuff at the end of the first half but overall not involved enough. Moore was also good as usual and you can see the extra composure and quality on the ball he has above all our other centre backs.

McGuane miles off it, Stevens was really poor too. Cummings is a concern, if that were Eastwood who conceded that goal then he'd have got pelters and it's far from the first time he's cost us. Southwold looked alright, anyone know if he's local?
Brannagan gave the ball away a lot today. I thought Rodrigues was generally poor today and did well to have stayed on so long.

Happy with the three points of course. But that was a difficult watch for long stretches.

The first 40 minutes or so were almost devoid of urgency or imagination. We were joking in the stands that they would put a bit of oomph in just before half time to avoid being booed - and (while I hope that wasn't the reason really), the prediction came true. All we did was move the ball quicker and move with the ball and off the ball - and suddenly we looked like a much better team. A couple of decent shots and the goal was the result.

As so many times, when we came out for the second half we reverted back to the slow, possession stuff and fell further and further back. Was anyone really surprised when we conceded? And then we immediately picked up the pace again and looked better, and scored.

It is so frustrating! We are like a Jekyll and Hyde team, switching between passive, slow, unimaginative, boring football to a better, faster, more threatening, more urgent version - but that second version appears for short periods and we don't even seem interested in *trying* to be that better version for much of the time.

Little of what I saw today made me think we will end up in the playoffs. Sorry...

40 mins of rubbish until Murphy stuck his foot on it.

Then 30 mins of rubbish until Leigh stuck his head on it.

Reckon Div 1 is out best for now.

Very happy with the win but, letโ€™s be honest, a shocker of a performance against a team who had literally nothing up front.

Iโ€™ve made my thoughts on Des earlier, so for now will just enjoy the win :)

Very happy with the win but, letโ€™s be honest, a shocker of a performance against a team who had literally nothing up front.

Iโ€™ve made my thoughts on Des earlier, so for now will just enjoy the win :)
You werenโ€™t shocked though, were you?

Played well last week for the majority and came away with no points.
Played awful this week for the majority and came away with three points.
Such is lower league football that we all know and (sometimes) love.

Back
Top Bottom