Home Match Day Thread 09/03/2024 L1: OUFC v Cheltenham Town

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So wait is it wins that matter or performances? Last Saturday it’s was wins, I guess today it’s performances….
Exactly this, last week no one cared we played well because we lost and that’s all that mattered.

This week we play ok but not great and get the win and now it’s the performance that matters.

I also didn’t think we played as badly as some are making it out to be.

Saturday we looked like a team with direction, today we didn't, take away the goals you would struggle to guess which team was going for promotion and struggling to stay up.
So you didn’t notice the way we are trying to get the ball out wide, run at full backs, get crosses in?
That is direction.

Saturday we looked like a team with direction, today we didn't, take away the goals you would struggle to guess which team was going for promotion and struggling to stay up.
No doubt Stevenage 0 v Fleetwood 0, Exeter 2 Bolton 2 were similar....Barnsley 1 Lincoln 5 just shows you that it's very tough to call especially getting on the end of the season with so much on the results

What drives you nuts is that when we got our dander up in the last 10 minutes of each half, we played some really excellent stuff and Cheltenham couldn't live with us.

But for most of the other 70 minutes we lurched somewhere between cautiously circumspect and just plain poor.

We haven't been able to shut up shop and see out games since Manning left, we just haven't. So we need to stop sitting on one goal leads, and start going hell for leather for a second goal to kill teams off - especially teams like Cheltenham who are clearly well coached but desperately lacking in terms of footballing talent.

Still.....win is a win is a win, and we needed those 3 points very badly. If we can get four points from the two remaining games this week, season is still very much on.

Greg Leigh I bloody love you!!!! Brilliant work from Dale to make the winning goal.

But let’s not hide away from the fact, that for large parts of that game it was bloody awful. It was poor slow and lethargic and turgid. Yes it’s 3 points and yes that’s what matters, but we’ve just played a team, that has been in the relegation zone all season, and we’ve scrapped a win, and I mean no disrespect to Cheltenham when I say this, but we really should be beating these far more easily. I thought the ref missed a few bookings, and possibly even a sending off for them.

Luckily results around us went our way. I’m not sold on Buckingham at all, and if he is to last, then things need to improve in terms of performances/results because it wasn’t a great watch!

Last edited:

Do you think there’s a slight chance that Portsmouth and Cheltenham are different teams, with different game plans, that mean we have to find different ways of doing things?

Wake up everyone, Buckingham is out of his depth, totally clueless.

Whether or not that's true, it's really irrelevant at this point in time.

There is zero chance that he's getting fired before we're a couple of months into next season at the earliest. After splashing out what is supposedly a significant six figure sum to get him out of City Group, TW is not going to be going to his paymasters a few months later to ask for another few hundred thousand to pay him off. Not unless he's trying to get fired.

So we might as well all calm down about it, and hope that Des is a quick learner.

Back
Top Bottom