Home Match Day Thread 09/03/2024 L1: OUFC v Cheltenham Town

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great finish from Murphy, really took the stink out of a REALLY shite first half.

Need a MUCH better performance 2nd half.

Blimey - we appear to have broken down a team determined to get the whole side behind the ball.

Not often that happens - onwards and upwards!

First 35 minutes was abject.

But after the crowd got on the players' backs (enitirely deservedly and to good effect, not "Out of Order" as Rosie was suggesting), and they started showing some urgency to get forward, they had a terrific ten minutes to end the half and got the goal.

Now, let's try keeping the hammer down and not giving away a halftime lead to inferior opposition, shall we?

Some seem to watch a very different game to me. Thought we looked decent for most of the game and excellent for the last 10 minutes. Murphy is a different level and is either being doubled up on, or kicked and pulled about off the ball. Dale also looking very good.

A well deserved lead at half time

Amazing what a few minutes of pressure can yield. 40 minutes it took us to move out of first gear and suddenly the ball is in the net. Far from convincing and we havenโ€™t built on last week in the slightest. Terrible half from us and another fortunate scoreline.

Need a much better second half, Cheltenham have nothing to lose now.

Some seem to watch a very different game to me. Thought we looked decent for most of the game and excellent for the last 10 minutes. Murphy is a different level and is either being doubled up on, or kicked and pulled about off the ball. Dale also looking very good.

I wish for your levels of dopamine and seratonin.

I honestly can't see how you think that.....it was dire

There was a 15 minute lull but over all we have played well. Dale is a brilliant signing and a really exciting winger to watch.
Murphy is finally showing us what the sort of player he can be.

Ruben and Brannagan playing very well in the middle and making some lovely passes.

Want to see more from Leigh in the 2nd half.

Whilst we are marginally the better of the two, not a great performance once again. Controlled better the last six or seven minutes but probably not enough to deserve to be one nil up! Still, as we saw last week - thatโ€™s football!

Cheltenham are dreadful and we should, although Iโ€™m not saying we will, get a hatful against them in the second half!

Good to see theyโ€™ve travelled in their usual โ€˜bigโ€™ numbers!

Last edited:
Not having read any of the previous comments on this thread, I thought that half showed a lot of fight.

Low on quality football, but weโ€™ve taken the sting out of a physical Cheltenham side and bossed the last ten mins. Ruben picking it up on the half turn in the left hand channel and finding Stevens in space a few times towards the end of that half, and weโ€™ve found space a little more readily as the halfโ€™s gone one.

Not as free flowing as last week, but weโ€™re playing a very different opposition.

Cheltenham have to come at us in the second half, and with the wind holding the ball up more Iโ€™m backing Dale and Murph to cause them real problems on the counter.

Solid if not spectacular, but leading again at half time. Imperative we donโ€™t sit on it, and vital now for the wingers to give us an outlet when we nick it off them in our half.

Feel sorry for anyone who doesn't enjoy watching RR play. The way he shifts his body to open up space and his incisive passing is an absolutely joy.

Inversely can someone ask McGuane to stop hiding? Seems to have the fear again of being the deep CM and just doesn't show for the ball. I get he doesn't want it under pressure, but by not even making a move or occasionally offering it means it's much easier to defend against and leaves us with less options to play out.

I wouldnโ€™t say decent, but not as bad as the usual negative posters are suggesting. Cheltenham are punchless but very solid so we needed to be patient. It was always going to be a different game to Pompey.

Not sure what people are talking about when they say we were garbage before the goal. What I saw was intensity and risk taking, with just a little quality in the final third needed for Oxford to be on top. A mixture of Branagan and Murphy provided that, and we deservedly lead.

Back
Top Bottom