+++ 06/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 2 - OUFC v Pompey +++

Just watched the penalty shoot-out again. I was still as nervous as when I watched it the first time!

No Portsmouth fan moaning in any comments section or forum anywhere about the supposed multiple penalties they should have had in the first leg or two red cards in the second leg seem to mention that we had an absolutely blatant, stonewall penalty ignored for that ridiculous shirt pull on Agyei

There's some pallets on Ebay this morning and a truck with flat tyres..Another fella trying to flog a Bell..There are a number of Nowtv and Amazon Fire sticks but they all say "never used" or "Broken" so be careful :) No Bids on the Jackett for sale so avoid that and let em play off against one another.

I agree, Mackie shouldn't really be starting. But Agyei isn't a player to lead a line. He can get a ball and run, but can he physically battle with centre-halves like Burgess and hold up play? To play as a central striker as part of a three you have to have different gravy to a player like Agyei who would probably prefer to be part of a striking duo.

I agree that Agyei is very much a work in progress and extremely naive. BUT Mackie doesn’t lead the line or hold the ball up. He tries to physically battle with the centre backs but just gives away free kicks. Despite Agyei needing a lot of work he still makes more of a contribution than Mackie

So many premiership armchair fans this morning whining on social media about how with VAR the results in each of the two legs would have been very different with penalties, red cards etc. If that’s what you want, good luck to you but the longer I can watch good open hard games of football and avoid games with VAR the better.

Agyei did well when he came on, but the lad has a lot to learn. His tracking back at times was nigh on non-existent, exposing Long to overlaps, etc and it's those little things that mean he won't necessarily start in big games in the short term. He's a good talent though but coming on as he did, is a perfect scenario for him at the moment.

If playing Mackie for 60 mins means we get 60 mins of Taylor from last night to end a game, it's a price worth paying, Mackie wasn't great, but Harrison played a similar role for Pompey and you could argue did less, as did Marquis. Where are both teams strongest? CB.

Woodburn had big stones to come and take a penalty. Good on him.

Mackie did a job, and brought out a good save from the keeper early on. He rushed the defenders and didn't allow them to play from the back which was something that allowed Pompey to control the early stages of the first leg. Taylor was never going to be able to play 2 hours and Agyei gave burst of speed and urgency, but against a tiring defence.

Overall, I think Robinson managed team selection about as well as could have been expected under the circumstances, and ultimately the result proves that.

I can understand the Mackie start, but it's a reactionary move for me, trying to stop them, instead of us imposing our play on them. It worked to a certain extent, but towards the end of the first half, we were out of forward moving options. A few time, Bran collected the ball and had nowhere to go. I'd rather bring Browne central and get him to drop in to pick the ball up, in the absence of first choice Taylor...but yes, given the circumstances, I can understand why Robbo went the way he did.

So many premiership armchair fans this morning whining on social media about how with VAR the results in each of the two legs would have been very different with penalties, red cards etc. If that’s what you want, good luck to you but the longer I can watch good open hard games of football and avoid games with VAR the better.

Var isn't being used in the final is it? Hopefully not.

criminal commentary.
Tried to listen to RadOx digital and mute Sky but it was a second or so ahead of Sky and drove us nuts. Can't get FM here so couldn't try that.

What can we do to get better commentary for the final? Bombard Sky with complaints maybe, but who could they get who would do any better?

Mackie and Browne each forced saves from the Pompey keeper, did Agyei or Taylor?

Unless I'm imagining it (and that is entirely possible) Agyei hit the outside of the post* from that slightly mad run he had.

*Admittedly from what I think was an attempted cross.

Just watched the penalty shoot-out again. I was still as nervous as when I watched it the first time!

I watched it again this morning too.

Easty dived the same way every time and only McGheehan decided to put it anywhere but to the keeper’s left. If he’d observed the other three penalty takers before him, we could have been looking at a longer penalty shoot out.

Something to bear in mind for the final although let’s hope we don’t need to go thy far.

What we need to do in the final if Akinfenwa is playing is when a goal kick is aimed in his direction you know he will win more than not is to have someon marking the Wycombe player behind him, that’s been Wycombe’s outlet since Akinfenwa has been there.

Back
Top Bottom