Home Match Day Thread 06/03/2021 L1 OUFC v Charlton Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlton's run of form is legitimately awful. They've lost at home to Gillingham, Burton and Blackpool since the beginning of February. They've picked up 15 points from 14 games since the turn of the year, which is relegation form over a couple of months. They also seem to have a real discipline problem - a glance at their results on Google (which shows the result and any red cards shown to either side) shows they've had five red cards in that run (to four different players - Darren Pratley getting sent off against Hull and then again against Blackpool).

On the flip side, all of their positive results recently have come on the road. Their only loss away from home since going to Hull on 2 January was a 2-1 at London Road, in a game they were winning until over an hour had passed. They scraped past Wigan on Tuesday, who we know are probably a better side than their league position suggests, and have beaten MK and Rochdale to nil in recent weeks - neither feats we managed.

They seem to be a side that can be got at, and I think we're something of a bogey club for them. But judging on those away results, I imagine they'll try to sit in and nick a goal when they can. We've struggled to break teams down recently, so we could be in for a bit of a long, frustrating, attritional afternoon.

I don’t tend to worry about form of other teams since after the gills game a few years ago where they hadn’t won away for ever and then beat us at the kassam
But on paper charlton have got the better team imo but football isn’t played on paper and as we all know we can beat anyone on our day so let’s hope to honour mickey mad dog Lewis today’s our day
On the subject of mad dog he was a true legend here abit like Jim smith sooo could we name the north stand the mad dog stand now to go with the Jim smith stand

Desperately need a win and a few goals but can see another 0 0 here which will be ok if we win on Tuesday

Indeed Nick. In my time at OU he was a truly great guy. Top coach especially of young players but so infectious and so much fun. He played the game in an infectious, fun way and away from the pitch he was as nice a bloke as you could ever meet. I remember him having to play centre half alongside Steve Davis at Everton in the cup. All 5 foot 8 of him. We won 1-0.

I don’t tend to worry about form of other teams since after the gills game a few years ago where they hadn’t won away for ever and then beat us at the kassam
But on paper charlton have got the better team imo but football isn’t played on paper and as we all know we can beat anyone on our day so let’s hope to honour mickey mad dog Lewis today’s our day
On the subject of mad dog he was a true legend here abit like Jim smith sooo could we name the north stand the mad dog stand now to go with the Jim smith stand

Re. That Gills game. I looked it up and they beat us in November 2010 to end a run going back to May 2009 when they last won an away game - 34 matches!

Funnily enough we were on a short term run of bad results ourselves and that game was our seventh defeat in eight games. The next nine games however yielded seven wins. Talk about up and down form!

Looking at Charlton’s form you wish this one was at The Valley. They’ve not won there since 12 December.

35FF2222-2691-4A40-B733-027ADEEC1CC3.jpeg

AGYEI STARTS!!!

Big day for Dan. I really hope this goes well for him. As we have all mentioned, when he is given the chance up top in that central role, he looks a completely different player.

I think the introduction of Kelly will enable Brannagan to push forward and get back to what he is best at.

Smart decision having Forde at RW. He will provide the defensive cover for Hanson.

I like it.

Oxford v Charlton brings back memories I think United won 1 nil at the Manor Boxing Day 1980, in front of 5000! Seemed to kick-start a decade of success. Followed by the 3-3 in our promotion year to the First Division. Some results stick in the memory

That is an interesting team for us. I was a bit amazed to see Hanson at RB, thinking 'where is Forde'? Only to see him playing right wing! I hope Agyei takes this chance with both hands now he is in his proper position.

Afternoon folks. Such a sad day for all OUFC fans. Let's give Mickey a good send-off with a thumping win.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS

That is an interesting team for us. I was a bit amazed to see Hanson at RB, thinking 'where is Forde'? Only to see him playing right wing! I hope Agyei takes this chance with both hands now he is in his proper position.
Interesting team selection - Matty & Barker can seriously have no complants though Mide is perhaps the lucky one of the 3 there

Interesting team selection - Matty & Barker can seriously have no complants though Mide is perhaps the lucky one of the 3 there
I never really considered Barker starting after his midweek performance. I must admit that I have (after what I thought was an encouraging start) started to think that he wasn't the brilliant signing we all wanted and hoped he would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom