Home Match Build Up 04/11/2023 FAC: OUFC v Maidenhead United

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

West Oxon U’s

£41,000 for Round One winners - not to be sniffed at.

For me we go as strong as we possibly can and make a raft of changes for the Chelsea U.21 EFL trophy match next Tuesday night.

£41,000 for Round One winners - not to be sniffed at.

For me we go as strong as we possibly can and make a raft of changes for the Chelsea U.21 EFL trophy match next Tuesday night.

Agree, let's not be the team 'giant-kilked'.

But I'd like to see Eastwood play. This will be a hugely unpopular opinion but I think Beadle needs to be aware he has real competition. He could've done better with one of Wigan's goals, gave a silly penalty away against Wycombe and flapped at a long throw horrendously against Lincoln after making a save for the cameras. He perhaps has gotten a little too comfortable so game time for Eastwood and a good performance from Eastwood would be good for many reasons.

But I'd like to see Eastwood play. This will be a hugely unpopular opinion but I think Beadle needs to be aware he has real competition. He could've done better with one of Wigan's goals, gave a silly penalty away against Wycombe and flapped at a long throw horrendously against Lincoln after making a save for the cameras. He perhaps has gotten a little too comfortable so game time for Eastwood and a good performance from Eastwood would be good for many reasons.

Will watching Eastwood play not make him even more comfortable?

Strong team for this. It's a good competition for clubs at our level and we should progress to the third round at the very least. We have the Tin Pot trophy for team rotation. Get a good draw and there can be good ticket sales and possible TV money. Exposure is good for recruitment and for the club as a whole. With the stadium on the horizon all publicity for the club can be a bonus. Get the story out there, get people talking.

I'm really quite angry about this. This is part of the statement on the OWS:

Families and wheelchair users wishing to purchase tickets for this match are advised to sit in the South Stand Lower.

Good luck with that if you are a wheelchair user and decide to go after all. There are no front row seats available according to the ticketing site plan. In fact, there are symbols to designate wheelchair positions, one for each block. ONE for each block! There is one position marked in the East stand but, that, of course, is in the section that is not open. So, from a reasonable vantage point to pitch level without shelter from any rain etc. if you are lucky.
Bloody Firoz Kassam.

Covid and Ukraine.

Families and wheelchair users wishing to purchase tickets for this match are advised to sit in the South Stand Lower.

Good luck with that if you are a wheelchair user and decide to go after all. There are no front row seats available according to the ticketing site plan. In fact, there are symbols to designate wheelchair positions, one for each block. ONE for each block! There is one position marked in the East stand but, that, of course, is in the section that is not open. So, from a reasonable vantage point to pitch level without shelter from any rain etc. if you are lucky.

Further, the original lack of information regarding season ticket holder seats not being reserved is now addressed with the following:

Season Ticket holders do not have their seats reserved for this game and the early-bird prices have now ended.

Better late than never perhaps but still yet more proof of the abysmal communication from the club.

I find it astounding that we can have such success on the pitch, have fantastic plans for the new stadium and yet still, make a total balls up of day to day functions. When we get through the first round (as expected - please!) and, if we get drawn at home again, can we expect an improvement and a reversal of this marketing folly? Open the whole ground and reserve season ticket holder seats for an initial period. It may have a get out clause in the T's & C's but, it has always been customary to show respect to those who have pledged their support. Likewise, how about those with Yellows Membership? Members receive ticket priority for the best opportunity to purchase tickets to some of our most highly sought after fixtures. - Really?

@OUSP Secretary @OxVox both on the case, I hope.
Just to pick up on the wheelchair seats issue @Manorlounger .

I know a bit about this as my wife is disabled & uses a mobility scooter & we sit at the front of SSL.

The front row of disabled seats are greyed out on the online plan, I guess to prevent non disabled folk inadvertently booking them. Result is not only can disabled folk not book online, you can't tell what is available!

To book them if disabled, you have to book by phone or in person.

For Saturday, I couldn't get through on the phone, so I drove down and booked in person. Very helpful staff as ever, but working with a poor system in my view.

There is a certain irony in having done so, getting the tickets sent electronically!

I've discussed this with folk at the club & they acknowledge it's one of the many shortcomings of current disabled access.

Hopefully will be better managed at the new ground, but that shouldn't be a reason for not making improvements now.

All keepers make mistakes, we wouldnt be where we are with out Beadle, some of the saves he has made this season has been outstanding, remember he is only 18. Eastwood has done well for us in the past but gets beaten much to easy, especially from long range. would like to see McGinty given a chance in the easier games.

Just to pick up on the wheelchair seats issue @Manorlounger .

I know a bit about this as my wife is disabled & uses a mobility scooter & we sit at the front of SSL.

The front row of disabled seats are greyed out on the online plan, I guess to prevent non disabled folk inadvertently booking them. Result is not only can disabled folk not book online, you can't tell what is available!

To book them if disabled, you have to book by phone or in person.

For Saturday, I couldn't get through on the phone, so I drove down and booked in person. Very helpful staff as ever, but working with a poor system in my view.

There is a certain irony in having done so, getting the tickets sent electronically!

I've discussed this with folk at the club & they acknowledge it's one of the many shortcomings of current disabled access.

Hopefully will be better managed at the new ground, but that shouldn't be a reason for not making improvements now.
I had an inkling that you would have some input on this Trevor. I would hazard a guess that OUSP Chair will have first hand experience as well!

It does highlight a problem that shouldn't exist and will/must be eradicated for the new stadium. It is fortunate that the ticket office staff are always friendly, helpful and, once informed of any issue, usually have a resolution. I wonder how many ticket holders are now calling them to request a move back to their normal season ticket seat?
If only the powers above would stop and give due consideration before making these decisions.

I had an inkling that you would have some input on this Trevor. I would hazard a guess that OUSP Chair will have first hand experience as well!

It does highlight a problem that shouldn't exist and will/must be eradicated for the new stadium. It is fortunate that the ticket office staff are always friendly, helpful and, once informed of any issue, usually have a resolution. I wonder how many ticket holders are now calling them to request a move back to their normal season ticket seat?
If only the powers above would stop and give due consideration before making these decisions.
Indeed. I haven't discussed this particular issue with PaulS of OUSP but there's a healthy ongoing debate from OxVox and OUSP on matters like this, whereby disabled folk get short shrift. The club tries but in some areas the limitations of the 30 year old stadium design prevent significant improvement eg lack of any elevated viewing areas (except the small, woefully inadequate, and not very elevated north stand one). Level Playing Field are providing valuable input but again their advice will in the main be on the 📐

Further, the original lack of information regarding season ticket holder seats not being reserved is now addressed with the following:

Season Ticket holders do not have their seats reserved for this game and the early-bird prices have now ended.

Better late than never perhaps but still yet more proof of the abysmal communication from the club.

I find it astounding that we can have such success on the pitch, have fantastic plans for the new stadium and yet still, make a total balls up of day to day functions. When we get through the first round (as expected - please!) and, if we get drawn at home again, can we expect an improvement and a reversal of this marketing folly? Open the whole ground and reserve season ticket holder seats for an initial period. It may have a get out clause in the T's & C's but, it has always been customary to show respect to those who have pledged their support. Likewise, how about those with Yellows Membership? Members receive ticket priority for the best opportunity to purchase tickets to some of our most highly sought after fixtures. - Really?

@OUSP Secretary @OxVox both on the case, I hope.

Members have come in before General Sale for Reading and Cheltenham away so far.
Orient sold out to ST holders but members were going to be ahead of general sale again.

On opening the whole ground factor - we've frequently shut stands/blocks for early round cup games for a number of seasons now.

Members have come in before General Sale for Reading and Cheltenham away so far.
Orient sold out to ST holders but members were going to be ahead of general sale again.

On opening the whole ground factor - we've frequently shut stands/blocks for early round cup games for a number of seasons now.
I would be interested to know which FA Cup ties have seen stands closed in recent times.

Strong team for this. It's a good competition for clubs at our level and we should progress to the third round at the very least. We have the Tin Pot trophy for team rotation. Get a good draw and there can be good ticket sales and possible TV money. Exposure is good for recruitment and for the club as a whole. With the stadium on the horizon all publicity for the club can be a bonus. Get the story out there, get people talking.
I trust that henceforth this competition will get proper respect as it is now the Bristol Street Motors Trophy. :giggle:

CAPTION COMPETITION:

What did LM mouth to Seb Stockbridge?

F97nPehXsAA6GZ5

Said this on last night's match thread, but I'd also go strong for Saturday.
We have one league game (Orient next Saturday) between now and November 25th, so we don't need to go overboard in resting players - just give a break to a couple of those players who've been ever-presents and are starting to look a little leggy. Want to make sure we win this one with as little fuss as possible.

Something like:

Beadle
Stevens Moore Thornily Leigh
McEachran Cam
Mills Bodin Goodrham
Harris.

Then you can go a bit wacky next Tuesday, and give a bunch more players a rest, whilst ensuring that Eastwood, Negru, Gorrin, Henry, Murphy, Woltman, Perkins and GOD get a start (if they're all fit.....I don't know......).
I understand the logic in terms of the relative importance of the games (With the FA Cup on Saturday obviously far, far more important than the LDV Vans on Tuesday) but, without wanting to get into the whole ‘red zone’ conversation, from a purely fitness point of view it would be much better to rest everyone on Saturday given they will only have got back from Lincoln in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Given we’re playing a side way lower down the pyramid than us, at home, I’d be tempted to rest a few more than that, and trust our squad players to do the job. I certainly wouldn’t be risking Brannagan so soon after coming back from illness, or our only two fullbacks and only real striker!

As expected, Sam Long is out but injury not as bad as initially feared, although a scan will be needed to ascertain actual extent of the injury

I was curious which game(s) ESPN+ might go with on Saturday at 3pm, and just slightly hopeful that they might pick us, given our status and the giant-killing potential.

But nope, looks like they've chosen to go with Bristol Rovers vs. Whitby in that slot. So it'll just be Radio Oxford for us in the US too........

I also love/hate the fact that they've moved the Wrexham game so that it's available to watch at a good time in the US, even though they're not showing it anywhere in the UK!

I’d like to see Smyth and Negru start on Saturday (if fit). Brannagan’s injury showed we need some credible competition in midfield, and an FA Cup outing against a side two divisions below should be a game in which Smyth could excel, getting some minutes and confidence in the meantime. That said, last chance saloon for him I feel. If he can’t do it against them, he needs to be off in January.

I’d keep the team otherwise the same. Agree with someone on the MDT for Lincoln that this could be a good chance for Harris to get on the score sheet and hopefully kick on in the league from there. Perhaps McGinty or Eastwood in goal to stop them getting rusty, but the competition point made re Beadle above in afraid I don’t agree with. I think he’s still performing very well, and I don’t think anyone is seriously in any doubt that he’s the undisputed number 1.

EDIT: to add, weirdly generous of the powers that be to enforce LM’s touchline ban on Saturday rather than at Sincil Bank. This is far less consequential, and I’m not sure we’d have responded so well to the enforced Sam Long sub and subsequent change of system on Tuesday without Manning pulling the strings from the sideline.

Back
Top Bottom