Home Match Day Thread 02/12/2023 FAC 2: OUFC v Grimsby Town

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good result although the margin should have been bigger. Rodriguez needs some real coaching in discipline. His petulant outburst has cost him a place in the next round but also shows his temperament as a major flaw. I don't believe Buckingham will tolerate any further outbursts.
Now looking forward to the draw.
Is he out of the next round?
Agree that his outburst was ridiculous having been sent off 2 games ago. He needs to learn quickly ( Des was right hauling him off at h-t)

It was the first of the back-to-back-to-back horrendous transfer windows that ultimately got KR fired.

We needed to bolster our squad for a playoff push, and instead he paid a fee for a player who wasn't going to be fit for months and had barely played for the previous eighteen months.

Seems like we were actually lucky to get as many games out of him as we did last year. Really sad to see.......
And let's not forget, KR brought in Sam Baldock during the same transfer window. What a moron

Great to see MM on the scoresheet.

GAWnvBvXEAAcwAE

Uneventful game, half empty stadium , freezing temperatures… that’s what it’s all about. (Hmmm). It’ll be worth it if we get a good draw. Bodin didn’t do a lot but he knows where the goal is, wish he could teach Harris. Murphy was decent when he got the ball and proved that whatever tactical approach is in vogue the old-fashioned virtue of running very fast still has value.

Uneventful game, half empty stadium , freezing temperatures… that’s what it’s all about. (Hmmm). It’ll be worth it if we get a good draw. Bodin didn’t do a lot but he knows where the goal is, wish he could teach Harris. Murphy was decent when he got the ball and proved that whatever tactical approach is in vogue the old-fashioned virtue of running very fast still has value.

Thought it was a good game considering the conditions, Their keeper made 3 or 4 great saves and Beadle made 2 so could of been alot more goals, Attendances down across the board once again 5.7k at Bolton and 1604 at Wycombe.

Harris was unlucky twice in the fact the balls across the goal line were blasted in rather than a controlled pass/cross. Murphy looked back to his best.

Extra prize money and into the hat for round 3 is the most important part.

Good to get through, today.

I thought the game was a pretty dire watch from my vantage point in the SSU. For a team that are 3rd in Lg1, I thought we looked average, at best.

Our CF situation is quite ridiculous.

I’m desperate for Des to do well and it is very much early days, but based on the first three outings I’m not yet convinced he’s got what it’ll take. Hopefully he will get a couple in during Jan that he wants and can begin to mould ‘his’ team.

Sub 3,300 home fans in the ground..🤐

Thought it was a good game considering the conditions, Their keeper made 3 or 4 great saves and Beadle made 2 so could of been alot more goals, Attendances down across the board once again 5.7k at Bolton and 1604 at Wycombe.

Harris was unlucky twice in the fact the balls across the goal line were blasted in rather than a controlled pass/cross. Murphy looked back to his best.

Extra prize money and into the hat for round 3 is the most important part.
It wasn't a terrible game and Grimsby were very decent. Unfortunately the stadium layout means that when there aren't many there the atmosphere is very dull. Just want to push those stands nearer to the pitch!

Job done, fairly routine in the end. Grimsby knocked it around well but no end product. Credit to Beadle for the save low to his right second half, decent stop. Murphy, Mills and Goodhram stood out ,the others were professional. Apart from Rodrigues of course.
And let’s not be so quick to write off Marcus Browne eh, Buckingham said he felt tightness so came off as a precaution, time will tell how long he’s out for but he certainly wasn’t as fatalistic as some on here.
And lots of love to the old geezer whose seat I was sat in in the SSU, especially as he was displaced directly behind me and really objected to me standing until kick off. Strange bunch.

I thought the game was a pretty dire watch from my vantage point in the SSU. For a team that are 3rd in Lg1, I thought we looked average, at best.

I’m desperate for Des to do well and it is very much early days, but based on the first three outings I’m not yet convinced he’s got what it’ll take. Hopefully he will get a couple in during Jan that he wants and can begin to mould ‘his’ team.

I remember the 1980-81 season when we were absolutely dire at home under Bill Asprey and in the relegation zone
but we managed to beat fourth division Aldershot 1-0 at the Manor in the FA Cup.

There was a gate of 4,153 in those dark and desperate days.

Today’s gate was 4,149.

I remember the 1980-81 season when we were absolutely dire at home under Bill Asprey and in the relegation zone
but we managed to beat fourth division Aldershot 1-0 at the Manor in the FA Cup.

There was a gate of 4,153 in those dark and desperate days.

Today’s gate was 4,149.
Would suggest that the FA Cup meant a hell of a lot more to fans than it does now.

Would suggest that the FA Cup meant a hell of a lot more to fans than it does now.
Before the Premiership Bullshit it did. Was one of the highlights of the season. And FA Cup Final Day was bigger than a coronation (well at least that still stands true)

My feet have *nearly* thawed out.

I thought Grimsby played some quite nice stuff at times, but desperately missed having a decent striker. Ditto for us of course!

We are so one paced much of the time. It was no surprise that our first goal was created by a much-improved Murphy putting the afterburners on. A lot of the rest of the match was us endlessly playing the ball about quite slowly. Yes, I know that's how it is going to be, but it doesn't get anyone out of their seat or make for much excitement - and it certainly didn't do either of those things today.

Goodrham added some liveliness when he came on (and had a decent shot), Beadle was his usual excellent self and McGuane was probably my man of the match. You can't help but be gutted for Browne.

Not really sure if it was 'professional' or 'dull' or perhaps both, but I suppose the important thing is to be in the draw tomorrow.

Funny how others see the game differently, We could and should have won more convincingly and definitely did not look average and most of all that was a way better performance than the dire one against Maidenhead.

Last edited:
My feet have *nearly* thawed out.

I thought Grimsby played some quite nice stuff at times, but desperately missed having a decent striker. Ditto for us of course!

We are so one paced much of the time. It was no surprise that our first goal was created by a much-improved Murphy putting the afterburners on. A lot of the rest of the match was us endlessly playing the ball about quite slowly. Yes, I know that's how it is going to be, but it doesn't get anyone out of their seat or make for much excitement - and it certainly didn't do either of those things today.

Goodrham added some liveliness when he came on (and had a decent shot), Beadle was his usual excellent self and McGuane was probably my man of the match. You can't help but be gutted for Browne.

Not really sure if it was 'professional' or 'dull' or perhaps both, but I suppose the important thing is to be in the draw tomorrow.
I think if we were really 'professional' we wouldn't have let Grimsby get into so many dangerous positions. You're right that every time we picked up the tempo we looked dangerous, just a shame we did it so rarely.

Great to get through, here's hoping for a big draw next round.

I thought our wide men, Mills, Murphy, Goodrham and Browne were all excellent and caused problems. Beadle was excellent too but shouldn't have been as busy as he was. Maybe it wasn't a great idea to bring Browne back from a hamstring injury on such a cold day?

At times we seemed more concerned about keeping possession than getting at them. I'd like us to look forward quicker. It was a bit concerning we didn't dominate a 20th placed league 2 club as much as a top three league one side perhaps should.

Still, at least I can make my annual request from a London Premier League team that isn't Crystal Palace away in round three!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom