International News US Election YF Vote/Prediction

Who will win the US Election on Tuesday?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 29 53.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brexit, the yanks should keep their big noses out of our business.

Why? They were involved in the GFA and that is what Biden wants protecting. It is our Govt that backtracked on an agreement with the EU that they made less than a year before, putting the GFA at risk. And they would be involved, obviously, in negotiating a trade deal as well. Then the US also have considerable interest in us reaching security agreements with the EU considering our tie ups with them on intelligence and the ongoing fight against terrorism.

Brexit, the yanks should keep their big noses out of our business.
But we will need a trade deal with them. That comes with the territory of exiting with no real plan. Oh yes I forgot the plan was we will just wing it and Trump will help us out. Funny how we have literally run back to the negotiating table, especially with unemployment at 5% and still rising. I love the government ads to prepare for Brexit, yet nobody what the rules will be. Some form of U turn inevitably coming from U Bend Johnson in December.

I wonder if those giving legal advice to the Trump campaign have had the foresight to demand payment upfront?

I wouldn't fancy their chances of getting anything out of him when he loses...and he does have form for not paying people who do stuff for him!

Without descending into the usual arguments regarding the merits (or otherwise) of Brexit, what do people think is the practical consequence of the Biden victory on the negotiations? I hadn't really considered it before the election, but it seems to me pretty decisive for the UK's supposed negotiating position. No Deal is surely off the table now. As I understand it, Biden has made it clear he will demand that the GFA be respected, which means some sort of deal needs to be struck between the UK and the EU to keep the border in Ireland open. The whole point of No Deal was that it (apparently) liberated us to strike spectacular new trade deals with countries like the US, but such a spectacular new deal would surely be off the cards if we'd erred diplomatically so emphatically just as Biden were taking office. But then Johnson etc. will lose a spectacular amount of political capital with their supporters if they are seen to cowtow to the EU at the last minute. So what's the game plan?

EDIT: Embarrassing incidents like this are I think an indication that the more fervent Brexiteers in government see the writing on the wall for their much sought-after hard Brexit.
John Redwood has been an utter bellend ever since he was a Parish Councillor in North Leigh.

I see IDS has also been doing his bit to worsen relationships with the President Elect before they've even properly begun....another class A bellend at large!

same people that financed the Trump TV ads in Washington DC (result 93.3% Biden 5.2% Trump at 90% count) because Trump likes to see himself on TV....
Trump's campaign were texting donors hourly over the weekend asking for contributions toward the legal campaign but also acknowledging that some money would be used to finance campaign debts. Incredible really. The two true beneficiaries of this election - the advertising media during a terrible slump and lawyers!

John Redwood has been an utter bellend ever since he was a Parish Councillor in North Leigh.

I see IDS has also been doing his bit to worsen relationships with the President Elect before they've even properly begun....another class A bellend at large!

I'm sure if the UK act with good intentions (ie. the GFA isn't affected) then I doubt Biden will care about such minuscule men as them. He will have dealt with plenty of them before.

Did you see that member of the House of Lords referring to Kamala Harris as 'The Indian' on Twitter yesterday? Now the other side of the pond actually looks to have competent people in charge, the UK (well, England) by comparison is just looking more and more mortifyingly useless by the day.

IDS - one of the most stupid people in politics and there is a lot of competition across all political persuasions! His ability to contradict himself, often during the same interview, is absolutely world beating.

I'm sure if the UK act with good intentions (ie. the GFA isn't affected) then I doubt Biden will care about such minuscule men as them. He will have dealt with plenty of them before.
I'm sure Biden couldn't give a toss what a no mark like Redwood thinks....I find it more amusing that Redwood thinks he has any gravitas at all in this matter 🤣

And that is a big IF....considering it is Boris we are talking about

I'm sure Biden couldn't give a toss what a no mark like Redwood thinks....I find it more amusing that Redwood thinks he has any gravitas at all in this matter 🤣

And that is a big IF....considering it is Boris we are talking about

Oh yes, it is a big if but Biden winning will have changed the equation I think.

Oh yes, it is a big if but Biden winning will have changed the equation I think.
Undoubtedly. I did speculate a while back the Bozza was holding out to see who won before deciding how he was going to play negotiations with the EU. I don't doubt there will now be a renewed effort to find common ground with the EU (on balance and in my humble opinion) having the upper hand.

It's not Brexit per se that they have an interest in. It's cross-border trade and movement between The Republic and Northern Ireland, and it's effect on the Good Friday agreement, which the USA legitimately wants to remain involved with.
I know I’m joking but the yanks should keep out of our affairs.

But we will need a trade deal with them. That comes with the territory of exiting with no real plan. Oh yes I forgot the plan was we will just wing it and Trump will help us out. Funny how we have literally run back to the negotiating table, especially with unemployment at 5% and still rising. I love the government ads to prepare for Brexit, yet nobody what the rules will be. Some form of U turn inevitably coming from U Bend Johnson in December.
Unemployment is rising all over the world, and we didn’t run back Angela Merkel wants a deal it’s just the French and their stance over fishing in our waters which is the stumbling block.

Unemployment is rising all over the world, and we didn’t run back Angela Merkel wants a deal it’s just the French and their stance over fishing in our waters which is the stumbling block.
Bazzer its an interconnected world and the discussion is about trade, so obviously it does relate to more than our affairs. And despite the obsession of Brexiters with fishing it’s a really small part of the economy.

Bazzer its an interconnected world and the discussion is about trade, so obviously it does relate to more than our affairs. And despite the obsession of Brexiters with fishing it’s a really small part of the economy.
But if Biden ( and I’m glad he’s in power ) are going to use threats over trade then that is childish, Biden is of Irish heritage not sure if he’s going to try and strong arm over us regarding Brexit is a bit crass, let the U.K. sort out Brexit with the EU and when Jan 1st arrives then let’s see what can happen

Did you see that member of the House of Lords referring to Kamala Harris as 'The Indian' on Twitter yesterday? Now the other side of the pond actually looks to have competent people in charge, the UK (well, England) by comparison is just looking more and more mortifyingly useless by the day.
His excuse was that he didn’t know her name yet so he’s ill informed as well as living in the 1970s

His excuse was that he didn’t know her name yet so he’s ill informed as well as living in the 1970s
Lord Kilclooney who managed to tweet without taking 2 seconds to Google one of the currently high profile women in the world. Who even more bizarrely has previously called the then Irish taoiseach Leo Varadkar a “typical Indian” - he also claimed that was a "mistake". Then made an attempt at explanation saying "I have two Indians in my flats here in London and there’s nothing racist in it whatsoever.”
a racist old moron.

But if Biden ( and I’m glad he’s in power ) are going to use threats over trade then that is childish, Biden is of Irish heritage not sure if he’s going to try and strong arm over us regarding Brexit is a bit crass, let the U.K. sort out Brexit with the EU and when Jan 1st arrives then let’s see what can happen

Biden is looking to protect the Good Friday Agreement as the US chaired the talks so have a direct link to it. It isn't crass trying to protect an agreement that stopped a nasty war regardless of his heritage and I think it is quite lazy using his heritage tbh. It wouldn't have been an issue at all if our Govt hadn't gone against its own agreement with the EU signed less than a year before. So it isn't just about trade but a lot more.

Biden is looking to protect the Good Friday Agreement as the US chaired the talks so have a direct link to it. It isn't crass trying to protect an agreement that stopped a nasty war regardless of his heritage and I think it is quite lazy using his heritage tbh. It wouldn't have been an issue at all if our Govt hadn't gone against its own agreement with the EU signed less than a year before. So it isn't just about trade but a lot more.
It’s a shame the EU brexit committee are trying to play hard yes fishing rights might only be a small part of the trade agreement but the French hold it in high regard so that has to be a key bargaining point in the trade deal.

It’s a shame the EU brexit committee are trying to play hard yes fishing rights might only be a small part of the trade agreement but the French hold it in high regard so that has to be a key bargaining point in the trade deal.

We should be looking at what is important for us not fixating on trying to get a phyrric victory.

Back
Top Bottom