By election Peterborough

Yep, I`m old enough..... they had reasonable local success but that was before the SDP/"Gang of Four" and similar entities that briefly reignited the flame in 1983 when they got 25% of the vote or so.
Oxford West ( currently lib dem- Layla Moran ?) has been a lib dem/ tory marginal seat , swinging from one to the other depending on the political climate since the 80s

Oxford East has been a labour seat ....some may say now a Labour safe seat? , since Andrew Smith was first elected in 1984,
now occupied by Analise Dodds (who was on Question Time panel last night- crossing verbal swords with Piers Moron Morgan)

local election wise in the county council lib dems had a huge upturn in fortunes in Oxfordshire in the most recent local elections

How many of the relatively large number of postal votes in this election went to Labour I wonder?:unsure:

I see that in the name of 'democracy' unelected Farage is demanding a place at any negotiating table with the EU.
posting similar about my surprise at this on another politically slanted thread .... cant seem to understand why, as his new party stands for a No Deal Brexit - therefore no deal Brexit means no need for negotiations,... as there is no deal ( for the Brexit party), what is there for Farage to negotiate I wonder?

There is an argument for Farage to be at the negotiating table. But I’m sure it won’t happen.
If parliament got on and negotiated a deal to leave his existence wouldn’t trouble so many pro EU supporters.
Surely Brexit is now happening, like it or not....I received my new passport which is Great Britain and a Northern Ireland rather than European Union

How many of the relatively large number of postal votes in this election went to Labour I wonder?:unsure:
Probably a sizable amount. Old people and students tend to be the ones who vote by post, so the Tories surely would have picked up a fair few from lifelong voters, too.

Labour's ground game is levels above anything any other party can do, they know exactly who to bother targeting, while the BP's campaign was essentially messing around in the town centre. A lot of people still voted Tory and that's a failure of the BP not to target them properly.

Postal vote fraud is a strange conclusion to jump to.

What unexpectedly shocking revelations :oops: ... who'd have thought it? ....

Is there? What is it? His party may have 29 MEPs, but they intend to be disruptive in Brussels rather than constructive or involved in any positive negotiating. In the UK he doesn't even hold an elected office. He is, and always has been, an opportunist, admittedly with an eye for an opening.
Exactly that. Did very well at the Euro elections. I agree he’s an opportunist and very good at that.
He is on record though as saying you can’t negotiate with Brussels. Maybe he is right

Unfortunate news for the Brexit party. Bit like the old Peterborough Labour MP and the anti Semite Labour Party.
That’s why I don’t trust any politicians

Peterborough was 61% Leave in the referendum. It really is prime Brexit territory.

If Nige's crew can't win there - at the height of the Brexit furore, and against a Labour party that has exhibited zero leadership and consistency on the issue.....then it really seems to me that they're going to struggle to win anywhere.

Obviously it's impossible to draw broad conclusions from a single constituency vote - but it does seem to give credence to the notion that another General Election now, before Brexit has been concluded, would leave us with a Labour government. The Brexit Party would sabotage the Tory vote and lead to the loss of a boatload of seats (to Lib Dems in Remain areas, and Labour in others); meanwhile the strong Labour ground game would ensure that their vote mostly held up.

So we'd end up with Prime Minister Corbyn......hmmm, maybe I need to rethink my support for a GE...…..

All the parties including brexit party will put their spin on as they always do.
Brexit though have achieved a massive success in Peterborough

It had never occurred to me how like the Amish the BNP are.

"We don't mind the Celtic, Roman, Norse, Angle etc etc invaders, they've shaped our nation, but you've got to draw the line at some nonsensically arbitrary point haven't you?"

All the parties including brexit party will put their spin on as they always do.
Brexit though have achieved a massive success in Peterborough

They achieved massive success in the same way a team from league one or two could get beat 4-3 against a PL club in the cup. They put up a good fight, had the bigger teams worried for a while but ultimately lost and walk away with sod all.

Calls for new Labour MP to be suspended before she's even got to Westminster.
What a shambles our politics has become.

Calls for new Labour MP to be suspended before she's even got to Westminster.
What a shambles our politics has become.

The voters of Peterborough stupidity voted Labour back in! Only themselves to blame! They needed a new party to take over.

The Brexit party? don't make me laugh. Nigel Farage sang Hitler Youth songs as a teenager and spoke at the conference of-the Neo Nazi and highly anti-semitic AfD party.

If you were in any way concerned about anti- semitism you should cut your hand off before putting a cross next to a party he's involved in.

Last edited:
Voting for the Lib Dems and Tories would probably have ensured that the party run by a Man Who sang Hitler Youth songs and "gas them all" when a teenager would have won. I'm glad they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom