Sport Pakistan Test Series

As an aside and spinners in general;

Why don't spinners develop a fast ball as a surprise delivery?

Obviously it will at best be medium pace but slowing the ball down is a thing so why not speeding it up. It looked like Joe Root did one as a bit of a bouncer in this series which had their batsman jumping who then stayed back in his crease for the next few overs. Although I don't remember him doing one previously albeit obviously that doesn't mean he hasn't. If you get known for it then a batsman may be discouraged to come down the pitch more often.

As an aside and spinners in general;

Why don't spinners develop a fast ball as a surprise delivery?

Obviously it will at best be medium pace but slowing the ball down is a thing so why not speeding it up. It looked like Joe Root did one as a bit of a bouncer in this series which had their batsman jumping who then stayed back in his crease for the next few overs. Although I don't remember him doing one previously albeit obviously that doesn't mean he hasn't. If you get known for it then a batsman may be discouraged to come down the pitch more often.

Shahid Afridi (former Pakistani leg spinner) once bowled a delivery in an international one day at 83 mph. That's a little faster than Jimmy Anderson bowls at these days!

Sky Sports News reporting Andrew Flintoff has been taken to hospital after being involved in an accident while working on Top Gear. Hope he is OK.

Given his lack of any significant senior experience (even in county cricket) it would be a brave move. But the pitches in Pakistan are likely to be helpful, we need another spinner going forward, the series is already won and our quicker bowlers took many of the wickets in the last game anyway. Why not?

I think it’s a great idea. The series is won, let’s try something new, it may just prove to be a good gamble. Obviously there is some talent there, otherwise why take him on tour.

I’m all for giving young players a chance.

He is playing as is Foakes.
Anderson and Jacks both left out.
It's a good opportunity for him

Not directly related (but not worth it's own thread) have just been listening to BBC coverage of the Aussie BBL 20Twenty game between Adelaide Strikers and Sydney Thunder. Adelaide made what the commentators thought was a below par 139. Sydney have just been skittled in less than six overs for a grand total of ... 15. Yes, fifteen! Amazing scenes, Brian!

I personally think that both resting Anderson and giving Ahmed a chance make perfect sense. The series is won and Stokes doesn’t care about winning at all costs and protecting his record, he wants to do what’s best for the team. Anderson won’t gain anything from playing, just risks injury, and Ahmed has a low-pressure chance to be exposed to test cricket and show us what he can do.

Not directly related (but not worth it's own thread) have just been listening to BBC coverage of the Aussie BBL 20Twenty game between Adelaide Strikers and Sydney Thunder. Adelaide made what the commentators thought was a below par 139. Sydney have just been skittled in less than six overs for a grand total of ... 15. Yes, fifteen! Amazing scenes, Brian!
Damn - was going to watch it on telly and decided not to :(

Hales played in that. He contributed 0.

I think it’s a great idea. The series is won, let’s try something new, it may just prove to be a good gamble. Obviously there is some talent there, otherwise why take him on tour.

I’m all for giving young players a chance.
He also has a first class century, so is obviously no mug with the bat and has the grand total of 9 wickets. Could be interesting.

Even Abrar, who is 24 and made his debut in the last test, has only played 15 games and taken 87 wickets.

He also has a first class century, so is obviously no mug with the bat and has the grand total of 9 wickets. Could be interesting.

Even Abrar, who is 24 and made his debut in the last test, has only played 15 games and taken 87 wickets.

Absolutely right. Abrar did very well he impressed me.

I hope the wicket in Karachi is spin friendly, so we can see what Ahmed can do, if he’s chosen.

Absolutely right. Abrar did very well he impressed me.

I hope the wicket in Karachi is spin friendly, so we can see what Ahmed can do, if he’s chosen.
You'd have thought it would have to be spin friendly - Abrar is the only Pakistani bowler who has looked dangerous, albeit still going at 4.5 an over.

You'd have thought it would have to be spin friendly - Abrar is the only Pakistani bowler who has looked dangerous, albeit still going at 4.5 an over.

What’s happened to Yasir Shah? I remember him being a good spinner for Pakistan not so long ago.

Perhaps injured/retired…

Pakistan 155/3

They’ve gone after Ahmed a bit, his economy rate is 7.40 good experience for him, and he will benefit from it in the long run. Early days, and he may take a few wickets later on if the pitch deteriorates.

Teriffic bowling for Ahmed's first Test wicket.
164 for 4.
Another wicket or 2 and England will be right back in this

Rehan Ahmed has had some debut.
Flat pitch and although as expected he has bowled some loose deliveries, he has beaten the bat a few times and now has 2 wickets.
244 for 7 is a pretty good day for England

Back
Top Bottom