Sport Australia Test team revert to type

After watching "The Test" on Prime (recommended, by the way) I thought the Aussies may have turned a corner. As it turns out, a leopard doesn't change his spots it seems.

Also read online and had a chuckle: Tim Paine's mouth and hands...two things that don't close when they should.

Paine has kept a lid on things since he took over and comes across well but this was a reversion to old habits. Boorish comments, including his old 'your team mates don't like you' insults, along with abuse of the umpire, Smith scuffing the batsman's guard, Wade at short-leg talking about broken ribs, etc - it's old hat really and the Indians seemed to take it in their stride.

As an aside, England are certainly not guilt free on this front - you could hear Butler chirping away throughout the summer and some of that was borderline. Broad and Anderson also hand it out but seemingly take it back without complaint. As long as it stays on the pitch I don't think cricketers have too much problem but Paine is definitely guilty of poor judgement (and poor wicket-keeping to boot!).

The banter part doesn't bother me, so long as it isn't racial. Tampering with batting marks though? I'd have hoped for a retrospective fine for that. It didn't really do much in the grand scheme of things, the batsman just had to mark his guard again, but top level players should be above things like that.

...and this, as an excuse? Sorry, a fielder doesn't go anywhere near the crease, that is the domain of the batsman only.

...and this, as an excuse? Sorry, a fielder doesn't go anywhere near the crease, that is the domain of the batsman only.
Agreed.

I also like Paine's comment that the behaviour was a 'blip on the radar', nope, it was a reversion to type.

I guess the proliferation of international players taking part in in IPL, Big Bash, T20 Blast, etc sometimes means friendships are formed and certain players are less inclined to get involved, although on the other hand, some enmities are hardened!

I'm surprised Paine is still there. He's outlived his worth as a useful patsy to try to rebuild the image of the Australian cricket team and now is derailing that attempt. He's an ordinary cricketer at best. Would he be there on merit for batting or keeping in any other circumstances?

I don't much care for the India team (more to do with the way their fans got in a massive sulk when they didn't make the 2019 WC final), but I hope they batter this Australia side after the stunts they tried to pull. It was a hell of a result for India to nail a draw and something I couldn't see England doing as the counterattacking instincts would have taken over way too easily. They watched carefully, played low risk shots and methodically saw it out. Proper Test stuff.

The excuse given for Smith is pathetic too. Habit or not, he's fielding and not getting another chance to bat. Get off the crease. More should be made of it with his history too. It's a sorry look for the Aussies to be making feeble excuses for Smith's behaviour.

Oh, and not all the sledging has been bad - Marnus Labushagne's quips and odd means of keeping himself entertained whilst fielding at short leg are well worth a watch.

Oh, and not all the sledging has been bad - Marnus Labushagne's quips and odd means of keeping himself entertained whilst fielding at short leg are well worth a watch.
Speaking of a reversion to type, Sharne Warne and Andrew Symonds were caught on camera two days back, unaware they were being recorded prior to commentating on a Hit'n'Giggle match.

Criticising Labuschagne's eccentricities, joking about doubling his meds for his ADD and stating that back in THEIR day, Labuschagne would have been squashed on the bottom of a massive 'hog pile' in the changing room for being a loner.

A triple whammy of bullying, disability shaming and just being a pair of nasty two-faced bogans to boot.

Needless to say, it's all a big giggle in the Australian press, and the classy Labuschagne has just risen above it.

Speaking of a reversion to type, Sharne Warne and Andrew Symonds were caught on camera two days back, unaware they were being recorded prior to commentating on a Hit'n'Giggle match.

Criticising Labuschagne's eccentricities, joking about doubling his meds for his ADD and stating that back in THEIR day, Labuschagne would have been squashed on the bottom of a massive 'hog pile' in the changing room for being a loner.

A triple whammy of bullying, disability shaming and just being a pair of nasty two-faced bogans to boot.

Needless to say, it's all a big giggle in the Australian press, and the classy Labuschagne has just risen above it.
Aussie cricketers in “being arseholes” shocker! #warner.
(Marnus is a Safa anyway).

All this stuff makes it hard for me to explain to my 12-year-old Oz-born boy that he really ought to support Australia. I can’t because the die was cast decades ago, but I wouldn’t mind if straya gave Billy a team and culture to be proud of!

Not surprised at Warner, he has bully written all over him but Symonds has had to deal with his own demons, including no small amount of discrimination at home and abroad.

On the Radio 5Live cricket programme this evening, there was some bloke (Australian cricket writer / commentator called - I think - Geoff Lemon) trying to defend the antics of Smith and his crease scuffing. It was hilarious, like listening to the 'Defend the indefensible' section of Colin Murray's programme. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000rb1m about 40 minutes in.

Poor old Aussies, couldn't have happened to a nicer team!!😂😂
Well done India. To win there is hell of an achievement.

Excellent win by India
A great win - any chase over 225/250 is historically hard, particularly against a really good attack on a ground they hadn't lost on in over 30 years. Also shows the current depth in Indian cricket - most ever players used in a series by one team. A little ominous for England I think!

A great win - any chase over 225/250 is historically hard, particularly against a really good attack on a ground they hadn't lost on in over 30 years. Also shows the current depth in Indian cricket - most ever players used in a series by one team. A little ominous for England I think!
Particularly at The Gabba where the previous highest 4th Innings run chase was 236 in 1951. Particularly impressive test series win because the Indians had a weakened team and had been bowled out for 36 in the first test.

Back
Top Bottom