🏏 1st Test, Hyderabad, January 25 - 28, 2024 - Eng won by 28 runs
🏏 2nd Test, Visakhapatnam, February 02 - 05, 2024 - Ind won by 106 runs
🏏 3rd Test, Rajkot, February 15 - 19, 2024 - Ind won by 434 runs
🏏 4th Test, Ranchi, February 23 - 27, 2024 - Ind won by 5 wickets
🏏5th Test, Dharamsala, March 07 - 11, 2024 - Ind won by innings and 64 runs

India: 4
England: 1​

Last edited:
We just haven’t put enough runs on the board to be competitive enough this series, you can’t put pressure on the opposition batsmen if they have a low score to chase and time to do it.

Not the end of the world to lose a series away to India, probably end up 4-1 and most of us would of predicted that, bit annoying that we have been in some good positions and not, apart from the first test, even looked like we would capitalise on them.

Roll on the summer and English conditions versus the Windies and Sri Lanka, when we look like world beaters we can forget this series.

We just haven’t put enough runs on the board to be competitive enough this series, you can’t put pressure on the opposition batsmen if they have a low score to chase and time to do it.

Not the end of the world to lose a series away to India, probably end up 4-1 and most of us would of predicted that, bit annoying that we have been in some good positions and not, apart from the first test, even looked like we would capitalise on them.

Roll on the summer and English conditions versus the Windies and Sri Lanka, when we look like world beaters we can forget this series.

I’ve got tickets for the Windies at Edgbaston. I’m looking forward to it.

Also going to the same venue vs Pakistan in May for a T20. Should be a good atmosphere.

Disappointing given the position we got ourselves into, but kind of illustrates why it's so difficult to win in India. That quality of spin bowling on that kind of pitch is something that our batsmen only get to see once every four years.....

Was just looking up England's future tours, and after this summer (which should be a non-contest, at home against two of the weaker sides in Test cricket right now), next winter we're going to......Pakistan and New Zealand? Didn't we just do that last year?

Disappointing given the position we got ourselves into, but kind of illustrates why it's so difficult to win in India. That quality of spin bowling on that kind of pitch is something that our batsmen only get to see once every four years.....

Was just looking up England's future tours, and after this summer (which should be a non-contest, at home against two of the weaker sides in Test cricket right now), next winter we're going to......Pakistan and New Zealand? Didn't we just do that last year?

For some reason I thought we had a tour to South Africa coming up. We ain’t had a test series down there for a while.

I’ve got tickets for the Windies at Edgbaston. I’m looking forward to it.

Also going to the same venue vs Pakistan in May for a T20. Should be a good atmosphere.

I do as well, my first time seeing the Weat Indies since touring sides used to play the university team in the parks, back in the mid nineties skiving off school with Brian Lara doing tee ups as warm up and Curtly Ambrose just walking around looking cool was a definite perk to growing up in Oxford.

I do as well, my first time seeing the Weat Indies since touring sides used to play the university team in the parks, back in the mid nineties skiving off school with Brian Lara doing tee ups as warm up and Curtly Ambrose just walking around looking cool was a definite perk to growing up in Oxford.
snap - I was working at Lucys at that time, a load of us clocked out at 4pm, grabbed a few 6 packs from the offy on Walton st, then went over to the parks- it was watching those touring West Indies teams playing combined University sides when I finally 'got' ( as in understood properly) cricket... I have vague memories of Curtly Ambrose smashing three sixes in one over with the bat!

snap - I was working at Lucys at that time, a load of us clocked out at 4pm, grabbed a few 6 packs from the offy on Walton st, then went over to the parks- it was watching those touring West Indies teams playing combined University sides when I finally 'got' ( as in understood properly) cricket... I have vague memories of Curtly Ambrose smashing three sixes in one over with the bat!

Ended pretty soon after I think, no money in it unfortunately, pretty amazing that you could get free access to watch the best players in the world and they just wandered around the park.

Ended pretty soon after I think, no money in it unfortunately, pretty amazing that you could get free access to watch the best players in the world and they just wandered around the park.
Ox Uni Cricket club representatives came round with a collection/ donation bucket a few times, but yes it was in reality for free to see some of the best cricketers in the world playing... though it was some 30 years or so ago.

I used to love watching Ambrose and Courtney Walsh bowling. Top top bowlers, and hostile.

They were feared as much if not more than Waqar Younis, and Wasim Akram.

This is turning in to a classic. We could be in for a grand stand finish here in Ranchi.

Bashir what a prospect.

Jural batting nicely here for them, and Gil at the other, should see this close to the end. Bashir and Hartley have bowled well in tandem, restricted the boundaries, and taken some wickets, but in truth the Batting has been the issue for England, When the bowling has been very good on the whole.

A hundred more runs would have have made this interesting, as said above we just haven't put enough runs on in this series. Whether not bazballing would of made a difference is hard to tell, we were not putting on big scores pre it so its most likely we would of posted similar scores, just always likely to struggle against quality spin on these type of surfaces.

A hundred more runs would have have made this interesting, as said above we just haven't put enough runs on in this series. Whether not bazballing would of made a difference is hard to tell, we were not putting on big scores pre it so its most likely we would of posted similar scores, just always likely to struggle against quality spin on these type of surfaces.
I blame Des for this, too much playing it around the back rather than scoring runs for my liking!

Well done both teams.
England needed more runs in the second innings and the lead in the first looked as if it would be a lot more at one stage.
But Ashwin Jadeja and Yadav verses Bashir, Hartley and Root seems a mismatch and England did really well to make it such a close Test Match.

From all the evidence so far, it is obviously easier to introduce spinners who can take advantage of Indian pitches than it is to introduce batters who can play on them. I suppose it was ever thus.

In a funny sort of way, our demise isn't so painful because it starts so early in the morning that when you wake up and hear the reports, the collapse has mostly happened already!

From all the evidence so far, it is obviously easier to introduce spinners who can take advantage of Indian pitches than it is to introduce batters who can play on them. I suppose it was ever thus.

In a funny sort of way, our demise isn't so painful because it starts so early in the morning that when you wake up and hear the reports, the collapse has mostly happened already!
Agreed - the spinners generally did better than expected. Bashkirs had 10 first class wickets and is a victory for talent spotting of potential. Nice high, repeatable action and gives the ball a tweak. Now he returns to be being a second, barely use spinner behind Leach (if fit), as does Hartley behind Lyon this season.

As for the batting, just too inconsistent. Some great one-off innings, but no real consistency and Crawley not being able to turn starts into big scores. Bairstow was disappointing, as was Stokes generally with the bat. Pope had one big innings and it took Root 4 tests to get going.

5th Test.
England have replaced Robinson with Wood.
The thought was that it could seam , but England 163 for 3 and Kuldeep has all 3 wickets ( and has just dropped Bairstow)
Bairstow is definitely not hanging around.

Back
Top Bottom