World Cup England squad

I'm surprised there hasn't been more backlash on here against Maguire's inclusion. Hopefully, people agree that while form is temporary, class is permanent. He was in the team of the year at last year's European Championships and while he's had some issues for Man Utd, he hasn't let us down yet for England. The international game is played at a slower level, so that probably helps him. It also probably helps that he clearly has Southgate's ear.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more backlash on here against Maguire's inclusion. Hopefully, people agree that while form is temporary, class is permanent. He was in the team of the year at last year's European Championships and while he's had some issues for Man Utd, he hasn't let us down yet for England. The international game is played at a slower level, so that probably helps him. It also probably helps that he clearly has Southgate's ear.

I think it's probably a reflection of the lack of decent options at CB.

If we'd left some quality players behind who had been playing brilliantly in top European leagues, then I think there would have been some backlash.

But when it's the likes of Tomori and Mings? Hard to get too angry about that.....in fact it probably makes sense to bring Maguire (who's been an excellent tournament player for the past two) even if he has been a liability for Man U for the past two seasons. Not going to go as far as saying that he's class.....but he's at least got experience and know how. And frankly most of the attacks you face at a World Cup are not as good as the ones you face at the top of the PL.

It still feels odd that England are going to a World Cup, and our biggest worry is that we won't be able to field a competent central defense.....but have a ton of other attacking options that we're leaving at home. It's not how it's been in my lifetime!

Back
Top Bottom