World Cup 10/12/22: Quarter Finals: England v France

Who will win?

• England

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • France

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The QR juniors are watching Junior Eurovision. Ireland have just given France 12 points. Top trolling or what. šŸ˜ 

But we are talking about today's teams. All those lands were good teams but only France is still up there. Other lands are coming on strong now, Europe's highs are gone.
Not sure about that. 3 of the last 4 are European. I suspect that 1 will win it ( again)
I would say that South American teams have been poor this year. Japan , South Korea ( and US) plus Morocco are improving but still some way behind

Iā€™m right. The first thing he did was bring his favourite Mount on, and took our most effective player off ie Saka.
This 'favourites' thing bemused me.
Southgate has proven to be a quality International manager.
He has often brought Grealish and Rashford iff the bench.
Everybody has players they think are better in the game. We can disagree (us armchair supporters who generally done nothing), but to suggest that a manager has their favourites- players who are not as good but the manager 'likes them ' in my view is ludicrous

Not sure about that. 3 of the last 4 are European. I suspect that 1 will win it ( again)
I would say that South American teams have been poor this year. Japan , South Korea ( and US) plus Morocco are improving but still some way behind

Errrrmm.....Argentina? Morocco?

If populations won you World Cups, China and India would be cleaning up.

We should have won far more over the years because of the money in our game, and the passion we have for it. That we haven't is down to mismanagement from the football authorities and the clubs at the top level doing everything for themselves to the detriment of the game as a whole.

100% agree with the second paragraph.

On the first - I'd say that population is one of four factors that should contribute to World Cup success.
It's 'How many people do you have?', 'How much do they care about football?' and then "Do you have the football tradition so that there's enough institutional knowledge around to help train up the next generation?' and 'Do you have the money to get that training to the talent?'

India and China fall down on #3 (plus they've only recently started caring and investing). The US and Australia fall down on #2 & #3.
But England should have no excuse for failing so much compared to our peers.

We should have won far more over the years because of the money in our game, and the passion we have for it. That we haven't is down to mismanagement from the football authorities and the clubs at the top level doing everything for themselves to the detriment of the game as a whole.

On the first part of this, it would seem that things at the FA have changed for the better in the last 10 or so years in terms of the national team. The move to St George's Park has been a bit of a catalyst and England have at least had some good success at youth levels more recently. It does feel like the players coming into the national team now are moving things in the right direction and there is a bit more of an identity to things, rather than kick and rush and pash-un. It also no longer feels like a collection of individuals flung together and former pros have commented on how the squad these days are more together than in their days, when players often stuck with their club mates at international level.

On the second point, unfortunately I agree. For all the good things the FA may have done with the structure around St George's Park, it feels like they have lost all control of the Premier League - that is a tail that has wagged the dog for far too long now.

.... four factors that should contribute to World Cup success.
It's 'How many people do you have?', 'How much do they care about football?' and then "Do you have the football tradition so that there's enough institutional knowledge around to help train up the next generation?' and 'Do you have the money to get that training to the talent?'

And, do you have a plan to construct a team that will use the best bits of how your country at the inaccessible (to top level trainers) levels plays? Can you develop or reinforce a culture that will permeate to the inaccessible levels of coaching?

England have plenty to build on.
Bellingham Foden, Rice , Saka Radhford, James, TAA, ( Pickford, Stones, Kane, could still do a couple of tournaments)
Who are the best young English Centre Backs and strikers coming through? I guess Ben White could great decent CB but who else is coming through?

Bellingham Foden, Rice , Saka Radhford, James, TAA, ( Pickford, Stones, Kane, could still do a couple of tournaments)
Who are the best young English Centre Backs and strikers coming through? I guess Ben White could great decent CB but who else is coming through?
James Golding is one name I understand šŸ˜‰

Ben White would need a different manager (or at least assistant manager) at the helm now I would imagine, given the news why he left Qatar.

Well according to some, Rob Dickie was going to be that guy. But as far as centre backs go, I think the next hopes will be White as he made the squad, then Tomori at AC Milan and probably Guehi at Palace.

Further down there's the likes of Colwill, who did well in the Championship by all accounts last season, Harwood-Bellis (who played against us about 3 years ago) and then Cresswell. I'm sure there are probably a couple of others knocking around too.

In my opinion it's down to the physical culture of our mentality towards sport. The sliding tackle by Romero last night was called out by the commentators, Cathcart did something worse against Spurs a few yrs ago in a PL match and the comms said nothing, what Cathcart did was psychotic IMO. If the Spurs player hadn't dived over his feet sliding towards him it might have ended his career.

I remember a similar incident regarding Glenn Johnson.think he was playing WBA away, a WBA player came into him after Johnson had just kicked a long pass by the sideline, it looked awful, the comms again went quiet, they should have called it out and said that's the type of behaviour we want out of British football.

IMO Messi would not be a professional footballer today if he had been brought up in Sheffield, Middlesborough or most other British cities.

In my opinion it's down to the physical culture of our mentality towards sport. The sliding tackle by Romero last night was called out by the commentators, Cathcart did something worse against Spurs a few yrs ago in a PL match and the comms said nothing, what Cathcart did was psychotic IMO. If the Spurs player hadn't dived over his feet sliding towards him it might have ended his career.

I remember a similar incident regarding Glenn Johnson.think he was playing WBA away, a WBA player came into him after Johnson had just kicked a long pass by the sideline, it looked awful, the comms again went quiet, they should have called it out and said that's the type of behaviour we want out of British football.

IMO Messi would not be a professional footballer today if he had been brought up in Sheffield, Middlesborough or most other British cities.

This is just absolute B*****s.

I've seen plenty of challenges go unpunished this WC which would have been yellow or red cards at league 1 level, let alone prem!

The balance was well and truly shifted in recent years.

This is just absolute B*****s.

I've seen plenty of challenges go unpunished this WC which would have been yellow or red cards at league 1 level, let alone prem!

The balance was well and truly shifted in recent years.
British officials have been protecting skilful attackers more over recent years, but not as much as they are protected in La Liga and Ligue 1.

I'd like to see these challenged you are on about. There was talk that at the beginning of the tournament the refs were allowing to much to go. Granted I didn't watch much of the group stages, but going by last nights match (Arg. v Croatia) defenders were more weary in the 2nd half, as if the ref had given them a warning at half-time, I'll take a guess that the ref was told via his ear piece that he wasn't being strict enough.

There are obviously going to be instances in football because it's a 360 degree sport, compared with rugby league which is obviously more of a 180 degree sport; I'm sure you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom