Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • USA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well we'll see.

England have progressed under Southgate as far as I see it. I don't ever remember an England side being particularly 'great' to watch either.
theres no way we are winning anything and we all know how its going to end already.

It just shows that football fans make no sense.

I find it interesting that Southgate is slammed for his dull style despite his success on the pitch, while Robinson is slammed by the same people for his lack of success, ignoring our sparkling attacking play of the last three seasons.
If I didn't know better, I'd suggest some people just love a grumble

Not a great performance....but, its tournament football, group stage the aim is to qualify for stage 2....though probably need to win on tuesday- hope last nights negativity doesnt come back to bite southgate on the a**e

Wales will raise their game on tues

Ian Atkins was the master of winning games 1-0 for us and the majority of our fanbase couldn't stand the brand of football on offer. To me football is more than a game where its just the result that matters.
For me football is about being successful I want to be entertained but if we win 1-0 playing entertaining football then I'd be happy if we were successful I don't see the point in playing nice football but not actually being successful

For me football is about being successful I want to be entertained but if we win 1-0 playing entertaining football then I'd be happy if we were successful I don't see the point in playing nice football but not actually being successful

It's finding a balance for me. I hate 0-0 draws more than I do if we lose the game 3-2.

Plus ca change.

But do tell, I'll put some money on it...
same as the other times ,the first good team we play we will lose with everyone sat behind the ball, Kane looking knackered and Southgate will do nothing to change it.

I'd rather lose 1-0 than draw 0-0

No no no. Losing 1-0 to Sunderland at home last season was dreadful, where the 3-2 loss to Bolton at home was a great game. I come to football to see decent football being played by both sides.

But if we can't be misty-eyed about Italia 90 then why are we doing any of this?

Italia 90 - the tournament with the lowest goals-per-game ratio in history. A tournament so tedious that they had to invent the backpass rule immediately afterwards.

It's only remembered fondly because England did well, and because Puccini can write a heck of a tune to set a montage to.

Nah, give me Mexico 86 or USA 94 or frankly just about any World Cup in my lifetime (with the possible exception of South Africa 2010) and I'll find something to get misty eyed about.

But not Italia 90.

Italia 90 - the tournament with the lowest goals-per-game ratio in history. A tournament so tedious that they had to invent the backpass rule immediately afterwards.

It's only remembered fondly because England did well, and because Puccini can write a heck of a tune to set a montage to.

Nah, give me Mexico 86 or USA 94 or frankly just about any World Cup in my lifetime (with the possible exception of South Africa 2010) and I'll find something to get misty eyed about.

But not Italia 90.

Don’t forget this legend though.

5419009a3da39e9f8f7be722eabd38e3.jpg

No no no. Losing 1-0 to Sunderland at home last season was dreadful, where the 3-2 loss to Bolton at home was a great game. I come to football to see decent football being played by both sides.
Steady on there! Bolton was just annoying and sloppy. Palace was an example of a good game I didn’t mind us losing.

Steady on there! Bolton was just annoying and sloppy. Palace was an example of a good game I didn’t mind us losing.
That was kinda my point I obviously don't like to see is lose but sometimes it makes the game better of we are losing sometimes I find our play lazy if we aren't pushing for an equaliser or late victory

But not Italia 90.
Yeh, but... England were there, Scotland were there, Ireland were there, you had Schillaci, England v Cameroon was better most boxing bouts, Mark Wright scored, Bonner's penalty save, did I mention Schillaci? .... it's more than just stats.

Yeh, but... England were there, Scotland were there, Ireland were there, you had Schillaci, England v Cameroon was better most boxing bouts, Mark Wright scored, Bonner's penalty save, did I mention Schillaci? .... it's more than just stats.
World in Motion by New Order.

So in defense of a tournament that was statistically the worst ever, you're offering eight magic moments - two of which are the same, two are questionably good things (Scotland and Ireland being there), one is true of every world Cup since 1982 except one, and one is celebrating a minor achievement by one of our worst ever managers!

Compare with USA 1994 - Romario and Baggio, Darlin and Brolin, Stoichkov, Letchkov (especially his winner against Germany) and the Wolf Man Ivanov, the magic of Hagi, Ray Houghton (a real Oxford legend) scoring to beat Italy, Al-Owairan's goal against Belgium, the brilliance of Nigeria, Bautistuta. All that and an additional half a goal every game.

Now that was a World Cup that had some magic moments! Italia 90 just had England, Schillaci and the best opening match ever.

Back
Top Bottom