World Cup 4/12/2022: Knockout - England v Senegal: 1900

Who will win

• England

Votes: 30 90.9%
  • Senegal

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Massive quarter final against France lined up for next Saturday with that third just gone in.

Never seen an England team make the quarters of a tournament so easily, starting to get the hope up.
Not really played anyone good as yet though. The France game is huge - beat them and there’s no reason why we can’t go all of the way.

Who thought we would win so easily!
I did to be fair. We're pretty good against lesser teams and Southgate seems to have taken the handbrake off a bit which I proves us no end.

Senegal are very fit and strong and no pushovers but it's possible to go too far when saying you need to respect other teams. Of course you do but also they started a couple of Chpionship players out wide, brought on another who after several years at Bristol City moved to Turkey, have a keeper who isn't first choice for their club anymore and a midfielder who can't get into Leicester's team while we've got Premier League and Champions League winners on the bench. We should be comfortable, although it's another thing entirely doing it.

Munch, munch, munch ( - thats me eating humble pie after my pre tournament prediction of wales going out at the group stage & england exiting at the first knockout game) .... .... into the quarter final then - V France , on Saturday

Will our home game v Bansley be moved ?

England are VERY good going forwards once the game opens up.
Bellingham and Foden give real optimism for the future.
I feel pleased for Henderson. He has taken so much abuse, but played well today and proved his point ( as well as scoring).
Bring on France!

England’s superlative manager succeeds again. I’ve lost count of how many matches he’s won in major tournaments now.
Lucky he's changed tack from the dull, 5 at the back/2 holding midfielders carry on and let our exciting attacking players off the leash a bit, like a lot of us wanted isn't it? ; )

That was impressive once we’d stopped giving the ball away. I appreciate that his measured style isn’t to everyone’s taste but Southgate has done a great job for us. Quarters are just about what you’d expect, anything else is a fun bonus.

Took a while to settle then utterly professional.

It's great reading the semi-meltdowns afterwards.

One thing I’ll add is I really like the fact that our players don’t roll around, surround the referee and seem a decent enough bunch. For all the criticism it’s refreshing and makes me give a gentle nod to national pride , having watched Uruguay, Portugal, Argentina etc

One thing I’ll add is I really like the fact that our players don’t roll around, surround the referee and seem a decent enough bunch. For all the criticism it’s refreshing and makes me give a gentle nod to national pride , having watched Uruguay, Portugal, Argentina etc

Uruguay have had 4 players charged by the FIFA and the FA as well due the tantrum after the final whistle.

One of them, Atletico Madrid player Jose Maria Gimenez, could face a 15 game ban for using an elbow on a FIFA Official and abusive language. If that is the case I'd laugh if it affects club football as well:

Would be quite a way to end an international career if a replacement makes their spot in the squad their own. The others, such as Suarez and Cavani, charged are probably retiring from international football anyway.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I've never been Southgate's biggest fan but you can't deny that there is an air of class around the national team now, both on and off the pitch, and they can generally be looked at as fantastic role models. Only the most one eyed fan would deny that there has been a massive leap forwards in terms of the togetherness of the group now which I think must be a huge part of things in these tournaments, just look at the Belgians to see how it can go wrong otherwise.

My concern about him was that I thought he was too negative in team selection with the amount of attacking talent we have and that he can't change things in game when plan A doesn't work. He looks to have moved away from the first part with the teams he's picked this tournament but is yet to really be tested in game against a better opposition. Hopefully he can pull it out the bag on Saturday when there doesn't look to be much between the two teams.

Back
Top Bottom