World Cup 21/11/2022: Group stage - England v Iran

Even the Aussie broadcast team are going on about the inconsistency compared to the shout in the first half. Bosnich is waxing lyrical about England.

You can scratch that last goal off. If that's a penalty, so is the one on Maguire. Jenas is right in that VAR is inconsistent. If people taking multiple views of it are getting it wrong, what hope do we have? What's the point of it? Just have the ref who has one look at it the person who makes the decision.
Fortunately it didn't matter but it's a real concern to see such blatant cheating from the officials, I can't believe that anyone involved in refereeing at World Cup level can miss the foul on Maguire and somehow see the Stones one at the end, it's pretty outrageous and would be a horrendous way to go out if it happened in a knock out game.
6-2. BuT sOuThGaTe'S eNgLaNd ArE bOrInG!!!!!!11
I've been fairly critical of Southgate as I've always said our best options are going forwards and yet we've played with 3 centre backs, wingbacks and a couple of holding midfielders which is negative. The lineup today was much more like what I'd been wanting to see, I don't feel silly for saying we've been negative in the past because we've done a complete 180 today. You've mentioned before that you've been a big fan of how we've approached tournament football as we've been solid, safety first. Are you disappointed to see us take the handbrake off and go at teams? I'd love to see us carry on like this, we may need to change things a little against the better teams but that was brilliant today.

You can scratch that last goal off. If that's a penalty, so is the one on Maguire. Jenas is right in that VAR is inconsistent. If people taking multiple views of it are getting it wrong, what hope do we have? What's the point of it? Just have the ref who has one look at it the person who makes the decision.

6-2. BuT sOuThGaTe'S eNgLaNd ArE bOrInG!!!!!!11
They should have had a third just before it - would be interesting to see how we fare defensively against a decent team in the knockouts.

It was a P**s poor penalty that Pickford should have saved, that’s almost as annoying as the award of the penalty.

Haven't watched an England game since the Euros, but man, Bellingham is a player now.

Phillips was alright but it makes such a difference to have a guy in the middle of the park who is a physical unit and serious danger going forwards.

Love the fact that Southgate has clearly decided he doesn't have the players to play tedious negative football, so just went for it with his ridiculous array of attacking options. Going to be a fun tournament if we keep going like that, although will be interesting to see what a good attack does against us.

Iran were bobbins, but still, I can remember thoroughly uncovincing performances against the likes of Egypt (90), Tunisia (98), Trinidad (06), Algeria (10), and Tunisia again (18).

Feels good to start with a bang.

Exactly. Just bloody wait..
Then they just smash it in the corner and Pickford can’t get near it…if the penalty taker has the nerve and calmness to watch what the keeper is doing then it’s nearly impossible to save…

Or the penalty taker waited for Pickford to move and then calmly slotted it home to the other side of him.
As a keeper, I always think that if a player takes a slow run up for a penalty, you should stand him up as it's likely he's waiting for you to move. Don't make the decision for him. As a taker, just welly it high and hard and be done with it, Crosby style

As a keeper, I always think that if a player takes a slow run up for a penalty, you should stand him up as it's likely he's waiting for you to move. Don't make the decision for him. As a taker, just welly it high and hard and be done with it, Crosby style

Moods beats Andy Crosby* for that style of penalty.

*Bloody good player though.

Then they just smash it in the corner and Pickford can’t get near it…if the penalty taker has the nerve and calmness to watch what the keeper is doing then it’s nearly impossible to save…
I’ve had this row on here before so you can’t change my mind; as a former goalkeeper I know that you should do everything to unsettle the taker, deciding which way you’re going before they kick it makes it far too easy. Wait for the body shape, non kicking foot placement and trust your judgement. At least go the right f*****g way!

Bit late to this thread, but does anyone reckon we would have beaten Iran?

Back
Top Bottom