Home Match Day Thread 14/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Wigan

Awful stuff that was but very happy with the points.

I think there's a simple formula here- play Kelly in midfield, we struggle. Please keep him away from the starting 11 when we have such a talented squad. He does NOTHING.

He does. You just don’t see it.

Do Wigan know something we don’t?

Oxford started the season with a squad that had narrowly missed out on promotion to the championsip with a Manager who is widely regarded as one of the best in the division. Their wage bill is well over 3 million per year
It hasn’t been below three million quid a year since we were in League Two, so that’s nothing new. Nor is such a figure bank busting for this level. It’s very decent and competitive, but not remotely OTT. The top ten clubs in the division in terms of budget are spending at least that number. Not sure why they’re using 3m as some sort of benchmark for apparent big spenders.

It hasn’t been below three million quid a year since we were in League Two, so that’s nothing new. Nor is such a figure bank busting for this level. It’s very decent and competitive, but not remotely OTT. The top ten clubs in the division in terms of budget are spending at least that number. Not sure why they’re using 3m as some sort of benchmark for apparent big spenders.
Hmm what were they paying at the start of last season?

Maybe something to do with the wage cap.

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Maguane/Sykes Brannagan
Barker Taylor Lee/Shodipo

I for one CANNOT WAIT until we are able to field this team, or something very similar. I am genuinely excited about the return of Maguane. Kelly offered absolutely nothing today and our midfield will improve no end, once Marcus is back in the side. Sykes was brilliant today. After his spell out of the side, I am chuffed for him.

2 games in hand and 6 points off of 2nd 👀

You also missed out Henry. Sure he might of not been at his best recently, but he was arguably our best player the last couple of seasons and he was starting to get back to some kind of form, an assist Tuesday night and that Goal against Rochdale proves that.

Kelly has to be one dropped anyways as once Mcguane is back we will be over the limit of loanees in a match day squad.

You also missed out Henry. Sure he might of not been at his best recently, but he was arguably our best player the last couple of seasons and he was starting to get back to some kind of form, an assist Tuesday night and that Goal against Rochdale proves that.

Kelly has to be one dropped anyways as once Mcguane is back we will be over the limit of loanees in a match day squad.
We’ve got so many good players! Kelly is not particularly high up in the ranking, to me.

Maybe something to do with the wage cap.
Loads of clubs are paying more than the wage cap of 2.5m in reality, because of the ‘divisional average’ applied to any player signed and contracted before the cap was brought in. If they’re angry at Oxford United then god only knows how livid they must be at Sunderland, Ipswich, Charlton and the like.

Anyway, Wigan can f**k off. They were paying a dozen players at least 10k per week a year ago, plus many more 7/8/9k. I didn’t hear them complaining when they came down and bounced straight back up in 17/18, while spending five or six times what the rest of the division was. Amazing they have the nerve to comment on anybody’s finances, actually, given what Papa Dave spent on them 20-odd years ago.

Loads of clubs are paying more than the wage cap of 2.5m in reality, because of the ‘divisional average’ applied to any player signed and contracted before the cap was brought in. If they’re angry at Oxford United then god only knows how livid they must be at Sunderland, Ipswich, Charlton and the like.

Anyway, Wigan can f**k off. They were paying a dozen players at least 10k per week a year ago, plus many more 7/8/9k. I didn’t hear them complaining when they came down and bounced straight back up in 17/18, while spending five or six times what the rest of the division was. Amazing they have the nerve to comment on anybody’s finances, actually, given what Papa Dave spent on them 20-odd years ago.
That’s why they’re in so much financial s**t at the moment, now with the wage cap abolished I can see the FFP being broken by some of the bigger clubs as they feel they belong in the premiership

If he can return to form and show that he is worthy of starting, that’s fair enough. It’s hard to argue when you select a player that’s in form. However, up to now, he’s played well in a handful of games at the most. If we want to go up (and we are in with a real chance of doing so), we need to select players who are on form, not based on sentiment and what they did a couple of seasons ago. I would much rather have Brannagan and Maguane at CM with Lee, Barker and Shodipo, rotating out wide. Sykes is also forcing his way back into selection so for me, Henry has a lot of work to do.

Last edited:
Quite crazy how much our performance picked up once the pitch became quicker, we really need to work on an alternative as we won't always be so lucky. But we got the dirty win and it felt great, well done boys.

Subs were terrific, Winnall proving his worth with a lovely header. The League one Cavani!

If he can return to form and show that he is worthy of starting, that’s fair enough. It’s hard to argue when you select a player that’s in form. However, up to now, he’s played well in a handful of games at the most. If we want to go up (and we are in with a real chance of doing so), we need to select players who are on form, not based on sentiment and what they did a couple of seasons ago. I would much rather have Brannagan and Maguane at CM with Lee, Barker and Shodipo rotating out wide. Sykes is also forcing his way back into selection so for me, Henry has a lot of work to do.
I hope Henry returns to the form we know he’s got, but if he’s not at his best then more than happy with Sykes starting and hope KR gives Sykes a new contract.

Quite crazy how much our performance picked up once the pitch became quicker, we really need to work on an alternative as we won't always be so lucky. But we got the dirty win and it felt great, well done boys.

Subs were terrific, Winnall proving his worth with a lovely header. The League one Cavani!
A lovely header from a lovely cross.

I hope Henry returns to the form we know he’s got, but if he’s not at his best then more than happy with Sykes starting and hope KR gives Sykes a new contract.
I think we now have so much quality throughout the team, we don’t need to be starting players that aren’t firing on all cylinders. If Henry starts in midfield, that means either Maguane or Sykes won’t start. Maguane, despite his slow start, has grown into the team and has played MUCH better than Henry. If he plays out wide, one of the wingers will have to miss out. Shodipo has scored double figures. Lee and a Barker have played really well since coming into the side.

I don’t think Henry is the automatic selection that he once was. I hope he comes back and finds form. However, we’re half way through the season and it shouldn’t take 30 games to find it..

Last edited:
Nice problems to have. That's how it should be if we want to be in the championship. It's a squad game. Especially under current circumstances with matches coming thick and fast.

I think we now have so much quality throughout the team, we don’t need to be starting players that aren’t firing on all cylinders. If Henry starts in midfield, that means either Maguane or Sykes won’t start. Maguane, despite his slow start, has grown into the team and has played MUCH better than Henry. If he plays out wide, one of the wingers will have to miss out. Shodipo has scored double figures. Lee and a Barker have played really well since coming into the side.

I don’t think Henry is the automatic selection that he once was. I hope he comes back and finds form. However, we’re half way through the season and it shouldn’t take 30 games to find it..
Don’t think anyone has an automatic right to start

Back
Top Bottom