General Yesteryear

Always used to watch a few reserve games when free with the season ticket. Tony Obi, the Maradona of the Football Combination, sadly made no impact on the 1st team.
Yeah I watched a fair few as well from the Beech Road 'shelf'

Tony Obi, one appearance v Watford in the last game of a season wasn't it...

Yeah I watched a fair few as well from the Beech Road 'shelf'

Tony Obi, one appearance v Watford in the last game of a season wasn't it...

Yes, according to Rageonline he played the last 15 mins of that game.

Always used to watch a few reserve games when free with the season ticket. Tony Obi, the Maradona of the Football Combination, sadly made no impact on the 1st team.
Vaguely remember seeing the legend that was Tony Obi, probably for the reserves, wearing gloves while he was on the pitch :oops:

OUFC first team ... 64/65 season
pre the fa rule change allowing one substitute

Simple but stunning kit ( yes its a b/w image) in those days, gold and black with no frills, fripperies or sponsors logos emblazoned all over the shirt in those days... and, a team that were not only good to watch, but hard as fcuk too.... no-one could accuse that OUFC team of not being able to score, defend or handle a bit of the rough stuff- this team of 11 players , week in, week out- with the occasional player from the reserve team replacing injured first teamers-could score goals regularly, defend well and dish out plenty of rough stuff of their own.... losing around 10 matches in all competitions in the entire season. Winning promotion from Old Division 4( now league2) in the final (4th) place to old Division 3, now ,where we are this season , league one- promoted alongside Brighton, Millwall and York City- pipping Tranmere to the last promotion spot (no playoffs back then) by one point..... Those were the days (my friend) :)

View attachment 2072
wow that was when I first started going did we beat southport to go up that season?

I am old enough (too old maybe) to remember that it was possible to walk from the home end ie London Road (when we were kicking downhill) through the open gate to the Cuckoo Lane end so we could watch us score up the hill. No stewards on the Osler Road gate in those days.

I am old enough (too old maybe) to remember that it was possible to walk from the home end ie London Road (when we were kicking downhill) through the open gate to the Cuckoo Lane end so we could watch us score up the hill. No stewards on the Osler Road gate in those days.
I can remember being able to walk all the way around The Manor ground, in pre segregation days

I remember standing behind home dugout at reserve games and chatting to Steve McLaren who was managing the “stiffs” in those days. Nice bloke and a good laugh at the time. Happy days! Long ago!

I remember standing behind home dugout at reserve games and chatting to Steve McLaren who was managing the “stiffs” in those days. Nice bloke and a good laugh at the time. Happy days! Long ago!
Yes. I remember Mick Brown doing the role as well. The air was very often as blue as it could get!!

ON THIS DAY : 13-09-1985

Oxford Utd manager Maurice Evans pips WBA to the signature of Fulham midfielder Ray Houghton on this
day 34 years ago. Houghton cost the U’s £147,000 and made his debut the following day in a 2-2 draw with Liverpool
at the Manor.

D9hjal3XoAAlOTu

Back
Top Bottom