General Yesteryear

9 years ago today who can remember what they were doing?

Me, I was in a pub on Marylebone road, where I'd been for an hour or so by this time ( around 11.30am) and was thinking about getting the underground to Wembley , to head for The Green Man ... continuing the build up to the conference play off final v York City
It was yesterday lol 9 years ago i was back at work on the Monday morning

9 years ago today who can remember what they were doing?

Me, I was in a pub on Marylebone road, where I'd been for an hour or so by this time ( around 11.30am) and was thinking about getting the underground to Wembley , to head for The Green Man ... continuing the build up to the conference play off final v York City

Wembley would have been pretty empty nine years ago today, just saying! ;)

EDIT: As for ourselves, we were sorting out return flights as the ash cloud had put the kibosh on getting home. Worked out in the end...unexpected extra couple of days holiday without the kids.

Was it a two thirty kick off, just cannot remember? Every player did us proud.

Was it a two thirty kick off, just cannot remember? Every player did us proud.
4pm i think. went on the coaches from the kassam and got there just after midday then had to wait ages before they let people in. couldn’t drink cos drove to oxford.
was great seeing us win at wembley with my late dad. he wasn’t going to go but glad he did now. great memories

4pm i think. went on the coaches from the kassam and got there just after midday then had to wait ages before they let people in. couldn’t drink cos drove to oxford.
was great seeing us win at wembley with my late dad. he wasn’t going to go but glad he did now. great memories
post match in The Priory was a rare occasion for me, me dad ( in his late 70s at the time) and me youngest lad all in a pub together celebrating .... was possibly the last time me dad drank alcohol ( meds hes on since dont allow him to - despite being in his late 80s now, me old man is still a ST holder, and gets between 7 & 10 away games a season in these days)....The Green Man pre match that day was bouncing

2 subsequent Wembley visits ( paintpot trophy/ Shaun Harvey's b'team trophy) where OUFC travelling support was allocated the Torch pre match, were flat in comparison!

Small fact, me and my bro in law actually got the match ball, it currently resides in my nephews bedroom!
Clarkey hoofed it into the fans after all the celebrations, i put my foot on it whilst my bro in law dived onto it before anyone else could :)

ON THIS DAY 35 YEARS AGO :

Oxford boss Jim Smith signs Burnley’s Northern Ireland international
striker Billy Hamilton for £80,000 plus Neil Whatmore , who was valued at £25,000.

Hamilton featured against Reading at the Manor on August 18th 1984 in a PSF and made his full league
debut at Leeds Road , Huddersfield the following Saturday in a 3-0 U’s victory.

EBtFRacXkAI6hcf

Last edited:
About 1980?
He was a great player for us. Scored loads in the old Div 3.
I remember being extremely pd off when we sold him to Southampton for about £150k. We also got one of Southampton's cast offs as part of the deal.......Trevor Hebberd! So it worked out quite well for us in the end.....
Not just Trevor Hebberd but George Lawrence on loan.
TH was brought in as a striker and Jim Smith said that he would score us a load of goals.
He had a very poor start for Oxford but the following season was moved into midfield and became one of our best ever players.

OUFC first team ... 64/65 season
pre the fa rule change allowing one substitute

Simple but stunning kit ( yes its a b/w image) in those days, gold and black with no frills, fripperies or sponsors logos emblazoned all over the shirt in those days... and, a team that were not only good to watch, but hard as fcuk too.... no-one could accuse that OUFC team of not being able to score, defend or handle a bit of the rough stuff- this team of 11 players , week in, week out- with the occasional player from the reserve team replacing injured first teamers-could score goals regularly, defend well and dish out plenty of rough stuff of their own.... losing around 10 matches in all competitions in the entire season. Winning promotion from Old Division 4( now league2) in the final (4th) place to old Division 3, now ,where we are this season , league one- promoted alongside Brighton, Millwall and York City- pipping Tranmere to the last promotion spot (no playoffs back then) by one point..... Those were the days (my friend) :)

69598389_10216855396389536_9048269492961935360_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom