General Yesteryear

Out of the Club at 3.10 and into the back of the London Road. So easy. Happy days.
We used to get to the club for 12ish, I'd be with dad and his group of mates. They had a board game "sporting triangles" based on the TV show, which was kept behind the bar, play a game of that, out for the game at 2:50, watch the game, back in afterwards until around 7. Great days.

MANOR GROUND - summer of ‘75.

BCnEo9BCIAA1ENW

It was unreal, no idea why it came in all of a sudden, there weren't many issues the previous season. I remember Pompey invading the LRT, which fencing wouldn't have stopped, and the Leeds incident, which again the fencing wouldn't have prevented. There was an unscheduled pitch invasion in the 89th minute of the Shrewsbury game when people thought the game was over and we were up but it was a whistle for offside.

It was unreal, no idea why it came in all of a sudden, there weren't many issues the previous season. I remember Pompey invading the LRT, which fencing wouldn't have stopped, and the Leeds incident, which again the fencing wouldn't have prevented. There was an unscheduled pitch invasion in the 89th minute of the Shrewsbury game when people thought the game was over and we were up but it was a whistle for offside.

If memory serves, wasnt all the caging introduced (across England) following the Millwall visit to Luton- with the footage of the err, pitched battle, on the pitch, between Bedfordshire Police and the marauding 'wall hordes still available on Youtube- cage fencing was introduced by the Thatcher government of the time

If memory serves, wasnt all the caging introduced (across England) following the Millwall visit to Luton- with the footage of the err, pitched battle, on the pitch, between Bedfordshire Police and the marauding 'wall hordes still available on Youtube- cage fencing was introduced by the Thatcher government of the time
Yeah that would have been about that time, but not sure it justified fencing in the Osler Road faithful who wouldn't say boo to a goose... But of course we supporters were treated appalling back in the 80s.

Yeah that would have been about that time, but not sure it justified fencing in the Osler Road faithful who wouldn't say boo to a goose... But of course we supporters were treated appalling back in the 80s.
marginally, just marginally better treated these days - football the only spectator sport where you cant enjoy a beer while watching your team play live, football the only spectator sport where an extended family are not allowed to watch the match together due to segregation, football, the only spectator sport where supporters are treated like third class citizens .... 30- nearly 40 years on from the 80s not much has changed in how football supporters are percieved or for that matter treated

I saw most of the home games through a gate in the London rd fence , a sledgehammer to crack a nut, I thought the most was a knee jerk reaction in the first place,the pitch at times has to serve as a place of safety in times of emergency, plus i think that Maxwell finally got the idea that Thames valley totals was a non starter after a very peaceful pitch protest

Mr Evans, Luton’s Tory chairman ensured the Government response was as thoughtful as you would expect.

Mr Evans, Luton’s Tory chairman ensured the Government response was as thoughtful as you would expect.
aways fans banned at Luton for some years.... and the Thatcher government attempted to introduce an id card exclusively for football supporters in England, which thankfully didnt happen, instead cage fences were installed

then there was the Hillsborough disaster.... yet unbelievably, it wasnt until a few seasons after Hillsborough that cage fences were (rightly IMO) removed ..... followed by a misinterpretation of The Taylor report leading to all-seater stadiums for football ( of a certain level) imposed

I saw most of the home games through a gate in the London rd fence , a sledgehammer to crack a nut, I thought the most was a knee jerk reaction in the first place,the pitch at times has to serve as a place of safety in times of emergency, plus i think that Maxwell finally got the idea that Thames valley totals was a non starter after a very peaceful pitch protest
Yeah, Maxwell was there that day. He got some serious verbal abuse from some on the Beech Road terrace. Buggered off at half time.

Back
Top Bottom