General Yesteryear

Happy 44th birthday to Michael Duberry born on this day in 1975.
35 year old Dubes was signed on a two year contract on June 1st 2011 by Chris Wilder.

BpOmWkICMAAtUUI

Help me out with this one from the OM sad report on Shuk's dementia:

Shuker applause.jpeg

I reckon that is Dick Lucas, Geoff Bray, Roy Burton (hidden), John Fleming and Max Briggs with presumably Dave Roberts to the right.
But who's the hairy guy on the far left, and the tall one in the doorway??

Last edited:

View attachment 2322

I reckon that is Dick Lucas, Geoff Bray, Roy Burton (hidden), John Fleming and Max Briggs with presumably Dave Roberts to the right.

Edit - could the latter be Rod Smithson?
Jimmy Light far left.

It is indeed Jimmy Light. Thanks. Who could ever forget his own goal at Burnden Park when he chipped the ball over Burtie from the half way line about five minutes into the match.
Wow, that would have been something to see! ?

31st October 1984 : League Cup Round Three

Oxford U 3 - 2 Arsenal

Attendance 14,393

U’s: Hardwick; Langan, Briggs, Shotton, McDonald; Lawrence, Hebberd, Trewick, Brock; Hamilton, Aldridge
sub: Rhoades-Brown
⚽ Aldridge, Hamilton & Langan
Gunners: Jennings; Anderson, O’Leary, Caton, Sansom; Rix, Talbot, Robson, Allinson; Nicholas, Woodcock
sub: Adams
⚽ Rix & Allinson

View attachment 2322

I’d say it is John evanson but the player by the door isn’t max Briggs. Brian heron is a good shout though.

I’d say it is John evanson but the player by the door isn’t max Briggs. Brian heron is a good shout though.
Definitely Jimmy Light. Then its Lucas, Bray, Burton(hidden) Heron, Briggs, McCulloch(in doorway) Roberts on right.

View attachment 2322

Would probably buy one of those ^ (now) retro trackie/ zip-up training tops , yellow with navy blue trim, should they ever become available

Definitely Jimmy Light. Then its Lucas, Bray, Burton(hidden) Heron, Briggs, McCulloch(in doorway) Roberts on right.
Yep you’re right, just googled him, great story on tinternet from an old schoolmate of his about his goal at old Trafford, I’d put it on here if I knew how.

Remember going to Old Trafford in a cup replay, Bray got our goal we lost 3-1
There side included Best and Charlton etc
I have a few newspaper clippings of that game, if I think about it next week will take them to work, scan them and see about posting them up.

I have a few newspaper clippings of that game, if I think about it next week will take them to work, scan them and see about posting them up.

geoff_bray.jpg
Here's the goal, diving header. Not sure if that's Evo or Steve Aylott watching on but it's Wee Davey Sloan ducking out of the way. Probably Ken Skeen far right, might be Shuker.
Their front line was Best, Law, Charlton and Storey-Moore.
Ours was Sloan, Skeen, Cassidy and Bray. Happy Days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom