What have OxVox got to say...

Surely that doesn't matter? You have said (a couple of days ago) that the squad is too good to go down, and (repeatedly) told us that talk of relegation was ridiculous. So why not wait until the best possible candidate is available? We will be in L1 next year and can rebuild over the summer with an excellent manager in place...

Er.We’re too good to go down with a half way decent manager in situ.

That has not been the case though.

For 53 days now.

I assume you’ve noticed this?

What's the proverb?

Proactive as opposed to reactive?
I've been mulling this point over for the past couple of days, and I think it's the perceived lack of proactivity which has irked me the most.

It's been over 4 months since OxVox met with Tiger and some of the questions which they are now "pushing hard" on should be really simple ones for an owner to answer - all the stuff around their plans and visions for the club are the sort of Day One items which should be capable of being answered before they even have a foot in the door. If OxVox haven't been able to extract those sort of basic answers, then IMHO this should've been flagged up much earlier.

So, yes, I'm pleased to see confirmation that OxVox are following up on the issues which many on this forum have raised. The issue now is, what is the timescale being set for them to get answers to these questions? Tiger has had four months to put some flesh on the bones, but none appears to have been forthcoming. So, how long does he have?

I've been mulling this point over for the past couple of days, and I think it's the perceived lack of proactivity which has irked me the most.

It's been over 4 months since OxVox met with Tiger and some of the questions which they are now "pushing hard" on should be really simple ones for an owner to answer - all the stuff around their plans and visions for the club are the sort of Day One items which should be capable of being answered before they even have a foot in the door. If OxVox haven't been able to extract those sort of basic answers, then IMHO this should've been flagged up much earlier.

So, yes, I'm pleased to see confirmation that OxVox are following up on the issues which many on this forum have raised. The issue now is, what is the timescale being set for them to get answers to these questions? Tiger has had four months to put some flesh on the bones, but none appears to have been forthcoming. So, how long does he have?

There is a real quandary in all of this, is this a Thai thing? Is Tiger just unused to having his business questioned? Surely with the experience of Reading FC he should know that the fans will want to know his plans? On the other hand, the only sound bites we have had are very similar to those handed out during his tenure at Reading. (some are identical - insert "Oxford" for "Reading") All of which serve only to frustrate.
Encouraging is the (perceived) increase in media activity, the academy plans and training ground movement. Although all of those have yet to come to fruition, there is something which shows a glimmer of planning.
I really hope that OxVox are acting with intent and not just facilitating to curry favour.

There is a real quandary in all of this, is this a Thai thing? Is Tiger just unused to having his business questioned? Surely with the experience of Reading FC he should know that the fans will want to know his plans? On the other hand, the only sound bites we have had are very similar to those handed out during his tenure at Reading. (some are identical - insert "Oxford" for "Reading") All of which serve only to frustrate.
Encouraging is the (perceived) increase in media activity, the academy plans and training ground movement. Although all of those have yet to come to fruition, there is something which shows a glimmer of planning.
I really hope that OxVox are acting with intent and not just facilitating to curry favour.

To be honest, I am very much for giving Tiger "time" before judging him. He has been found the club in a helluva mess, across all areas, and he cannot be blamed for his predecessor's failings and peccadilloes.

But I am not for giving him time before he is required to answer basic questions that the vast majority of new owners answer proudly on their way into whichever club they are buying. He was (apparently) asked these questions in November, but did not answer them then, did not answer them at his opening press conference and still has not answered them now. These are not complex matters. If he is the real deal then they are one or two line email answers jotted down in 10 minutes in the airport.

On to the role of OxVox. I do not agree with Gary Baldi that they have struck a good balance in their dealings with DE and Tiger. The club is in a far worse state, structurally and performance wise, than it was a year and indeed two years ago. This has happened as a result of a series of decisions that they knew about, and did not question.
Ah. Sorry. That is not quite true. They may have questioned them privately. But not publicly. As a result, the powers that be can simply bully onwards and do what they want, without fear of public reprimand. With big clubs, this role - public questioning of power - is mostly played by the media. But at smaller clubs, with a supine local media monopoly who rely on the club for their lifeblood, it falls to the Trust to hold lightly over the protagonists' heads the threat of a public row. The knowledge that the Trust can/ might do that is what breeds genuine respect. Cowed silence breeds disrespect (hence the disgraceful way that DE hectored OxVox over the stadium situation a year ago).
It is not the role of the Trust to be "close" to the club, but to protect the club's sustainability. If anyone can point out how OxVox's actions have achieved that then I would be grateful.
Finally, a point on the plaintive plea that because they are volunteers who give time to help the club for free then they should be above criticism. I can say, with absolute certainty, that over the last 10 years I have given more time voluntarily to the club than anyone on the OxVox committee. Odd that the committee's protectors do not seem to think that that voluntary service places me - or Myles - above criticism.... Strong organisations are happy to explain and defend their decisions. It is only weak entities that shy like a scalded cat when criticised.

To be honest, I am very much for giving Tiger "time" before judging him. He has been found the club in a helluva mess, across all areas, and he cannot be blamed for his predecessor's failings and peccadilloes.

But I am not for giving him time before he is required to answer basic questions that the vast majority of new owners answer proudly on their way into whichever club they are buying. He was (apparently) asked these questions in November, but did not answer them then, did not answer them at his opening press conference and still has not answered them now. These are not complex matters. If he is the real deal then they are one or two line email answers jotted down in 10 minutes in the airport.

On to the role of OxVox. I do not agree with Gary Baldi that they have struck a good balance in their dealings with DE and Tiger. The club is in a far worse state, structurally and performance wise, than it was a year and indeed two years ago. This has happened as a result of a series of decisions that they knew about, and did not question.
Ah. Sorry. That is not quite true. They may have questioned them privately. But not publicly. As a result, the powers that be can simply bully onwards and do what they want, without fear of public reprimand. With big clubs, this role - public questioning of power - is mostly played by the media. But at smaller clubs, with a supine local media monopoly who rely on the club for their lifeblood, it falls to the Trust to hold lightly over the protagonists' heads the threat of a public row. The knowledge that the Trust can/ might do that is what breeds genuine respect. Cowed silence breeds disrespect (hence the disgraceful way that DE hectored OxVox over the stadium situation a year ago).
It is not the role of the Trust to be "close" to the club, but to protect the club's sustainability. If anyone can point out how OxVox's actions have achieved that then I would be grateful.
Finally, a point on the plaintive plea that because they are volunteers who give time to help the club for free then they should be above criticism. I can say, with absolute certainty, that over the last 10 years I have given more time voluntarily to the club than anyone on the OxVox committee. Odd that the committee's protectors do not seem to think that that voluntary service places me - or Myles - above criticism.... Strong organisations are happy to explain and defend their decisions. It is only weak entities that shy like a scalded cat when criticised.

To be fair it no different to when anyone asks you a question u don’t like. U just go silent and ignore it [emoji6] Yes the questions were asked months ago, but that was also months before he owned the club, so far he has said he will answer all questions once he’s sorted out the manager situation (not unreasonable) and will have a fans forum where everyone not just Oxvox members can ask those questions to his face. Or have a word with him 2moro Charles, u sit 3 rows behind him and will no doubt be enjoying some bangers and mash before the game.

Well you really are showing your true colours now aren't you Charle's. Very happy to sit there and question OxVox and have digs at them constantly but when asked questions yourself you ignore them don't see the post.

Tiger has come out and outlined the short term plans for the club (get a manager, increase marketing, communication, academy, hold a fans forum). I would make a rough guess that long term plans will be outlined at the fans forum but right now, rightly IMO he is more concerned about getting a new manager in to keep us in league 1.

If you are so worried about tiger, the club, the deal that brought tiger to the club then i'd suggest getting yourself to the fans forum to ask your questions directly to the owner rather than repeatedly post them on this internet forum that has no significance to the running of the club.

Having said that I am pretty sure you won't be attending the fans forum to ask your questions but will continue to make the same point across many different threads.

We have the AGM sometime in April and we know that Jem and Simon are standing down, therefore there are at least two vacancies to fill. So let’s all look forward to seeing Dave, Myles and Charlie putting their names forward for election. You never know two of those 3 could be the next Chair and Vice Chair of the trust. Come on Dave you have been a great advocate of the trust, I would vote for you as you will give a balanced view.

We have the AGM sometime in April and we know that Jem and Simon are standing down, therefore there are at least two vacancies to fill. So let’s all look forward to seeing Dave, Myles and Charlie putting their names forward for election. You never know two of those 3 could be the next Chair and Vice Chair of the trust. Come on Dave you have been a great advocate of the trust, I would vote for you as you will give a balanced view.

I'd really worry about the future of the trust if Myles, Sean or Charlie were elected to represent OxVox.

I would also worry if Dave was elected as it would mean OxVox would need a full time proof reader for all press releases ;)

I'd really worry about the future of the trust if Myles, Sean or Charlie were elected to represent OxVox.

I would also worry if Dave was elected as it would mean OxVox would need a full time proof reader for all press releases ;)

I think they would be a breath of fresh air and would not shy away from asking the more difficult questions of the owner. I’m sure Jem and Simon asked the right questions, but they are standing down. As for Dave we would get statements every other day ;)

As someone demanding answers to questions, maybe you could answer mine for the 8th time! You keep talking of a basketcase of a club that is ladened with debt to the previous owner, and Tiger having to raid the piggy bank to buy it. So what's in it for Tiger?

Well it would mean I have far less time to post on here and I wouldn’t want to deprive u all of that

Come on Dave stand for election it’s a win win. You will be on the top table and we will see a reduction of your posts on here. You know it makes sense. ;)

As you will know, dealing with people's egos in public is a tricky thing. Ultimately, DE and Tiger don't need to meet with OxVox do they? So what value add can OxVox as an entity bring to the table so that they can inform and serve their members, and help the club? It would be easy for them to pontificate from the outside and issue press releases ad nauseum, but harder to become a trusted partner to bring a different point of view. The notes from meetings clearly show they are asking the hard questions, but choosing to do it in an appropriate environment.

If enough members think that is inappropriate, then they need to raise the issue at meeting and AGMs and ultimately stand to be a member of the committee by running on that issue. I can only encourage you to stand for the committee and be that agent of change that you desire.

Or Bazzer [emoji47]

Just like Sennate used to asked the hard questions. That didn’t end well did it ?
The local media still are wary of chas and his group from those days.

Several issues.

I realise in this modern era everyone expects instant gratification, but perhaps a little patience is needed too? 'OxVox' is not an individual, but a group of people who don't meet or hold discussions on a daily or even weekly basis. Maybe the 'putting things straight' statement is being worked on and will be released in timely fashion?

The OxVox committee meeting was on Friday. Not unreasonable that minutes may not be finalised and distributed until later this week, or perhaps next week. (EDIT - Apparently there was no meeting, nor was one ever planned. Happy to put that right. Makes criticism even more difficult to comprehend ....)

Then we get to your more contentious and unnecessarily accusatory comments. OxVox are not 'meant to be a supporters' trust', they ARE the only OUFC supporters' trust who work hard as volunteers, have to take negativity such as yours on the chin but get little appreciation in return.

You say the 'general ethos of the board is that they have neglected fans.' Absolute rubbish. A few posters have offered criticism. A whole bunch more have offered support. The vast majority have not commented one way or the other. Don't extrapolate your own frustrations to the general fan base. You have an unreasonable sense of entitlement.[/QUOTE

Very well put Pete.

As someone demanding answers to questions, maybe you could answer mine for the 8th time! You keep talking of a basketcase of a club that is ladened with debt to the previous owner, and Tiger having to raid the piggy bank to buy it. So what's in it for Tiger?

Just seen this. Have actually answered it before but here goes again.
What is in it for Tiger is that he wants to own a football club. My contact at Reading told me that, unlike his partner'

Back
Top Bottom