Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

There was. £100k or so? My point is the very small % of re investment. It can be spun as a salary 'story'..but we are selling off the family silver, and we are not targeting, and recruiting, proper replacements. It seems fashionable now to slag off Eales. But (until he got bored) he was making genuine re investment. Out went COD for £1.5m. In came Johnson for £600k. There'll be the usual apologists on this forum, but.. Rothwell. Ledson. Fosu- Henry. Baptiste. Dickie. All sold. £7m or so? Re investment in fees? £300-400k?....
It looks that way, it would be nice to know how much of that was to be reinvested?

There was. £100k or so? My point is the very small % of re investment. It can be spun as a salary 'story'..but we are selling off the family silver, and we are not targeting, and recruiting, proper replacements. It seems fashionable now to slag off Eales. But (until he got bored) he was making genuine re investment. Out went COD for £1.5m. In came Johnson for £600k. There'll be the usual apologists on this forum, but.. Rothwell. Ledson. Fosu- Henry. Baptiste. Dickie. All sold. £7m or so? Re investment in fees? £300-400k?....
And I forgot Gavin Whyte! So let's say £8m out. And let's be really generous. £800k in total fees paid. So, even with my abacus, that's 10% reinvestment.

maybe they’re saving up for something.... like er I don’t know say a stadium?

or pocketing the cash?
Well, pocketing it to offset the losses, yes. The idea is that some of the new or young players will improve and become valuable assets. Of course that’s unpredictable and won’t deliver us million pound transfers every year.

If you have attacking full backs like Obita & Clare I think a 442 could work with that midfield pairing as theyre defensive.

Ruffles hasn’t become a bad L1 player overnight.
He’s perfectly ok in a good L1 team.

There are far deeper issues than temporary loss of form for one or two players.
The squad had been basically raided for the last few years.
We’ve pretty much sold everyone we have.
It ain’t rocket science.
In the last 12 months we have sold our three best players and have made little/no effort to replace them.
Everyone cites Peterborough as an Oxford model. Or Brentford. But has anyone actually noticed, they both spend money on replacement players. Brentford spend £5m+, Peterborough spend 1m+.

Taylor was a very good signing. But a free .
Winnall is a gamble. And a free.
Atkinson needs time. From the Conference.
And so on.

This is all sticking plaster stuff. We will end up lower mid table.
But when (fingers crossed and all that) things go back to normal, we should be returning to the key issue facing this club.
We have a lease running out on a useless half built stadium that everyone hates.
We have zero assets, apart from players, and we now have one, who is injured and worth maybe £500k or so.
And that’s it.
We have an owner who talks a lot, but systematically sells all our best players.

So what does he actually want for the club?
Separate thread maybe, but far more important than whether we sign a L1 pro at centre half.
And please don’t talk about the money he’s put in....he’s sold everyone .
We got lucky end of last season, but there is a natural consequence to selling your best players every year.
And guess what? In the long term, it’s not good news.
But Taylor is only a very good signing if we have other players and a way of playing as a team that gets the best out of him. Presently he's getting no support and whilst we have 11 players out on the pitch by no stretch of the imagination are they playing as a team. Most of them aren't even playing in a position that suits their abilities. However you dress it up and accepting we're racked with injuries, it's currently a s**t show.

And I forgot Gavin Whyte! So let's say £8m out. And let's be really generous. £800k in total fees paid. So, even with my abacus, that's 10% reinvestment.

I trust you have taken into account those two annoying things those silly accountants call "costs" and "salaries"

KR just said they need to look at his fitness and also mentioned that they need to work out whether the contract will be till Xmas, 1 year or 2 years. Suggests to me that whoever it is wants to possibly use us as a shop window.
Just like Rothwell, Ledson, Roofe, Lundstrum, Nelson, Dickie and Fosu did.

KR just said they need to look at his fitness and also mentioned that they need to work out whether the contract will be till Xmas, 1 year or 2 years. Suggests to me that whoever it is wants to possibly use us as a shop window.
Does that matter? Important is that we can bolster the defence, get to January and then revisit the market. If the incoming player is good and wants to stay, then we can negotiate, if services are no longer required, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom