Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

After missing out on Darren Byfield first time around (when we ended up signing the 'Bus), he has finally agreed to put pen to paper!

YHIHF!

100%, said that at the time. He was unreal for us but never thought he was the finished article had a lot of progress to make and don't think he was ever gonna play regularly for Cardiff having just came down from the Prem. Could have been some some player by now if he played last season with us

I think it's unfair to say that he moved too early. Shove a deal in front of a youngster to play second tier football for a decent side and you're going to see them sign it. The main issue has been that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of development plans for these players in the Championship. They seem to be expected to either sink or swim. I'm surprised that some players who have performed so well with us haven't kicked on.

I made this point a month ago that of all of our players that we have sold since DE took over the club and Tiger followed, how many would command the safe transfer fee now?
  • Kemar Roofe to Leeds United for £3m
  • Callum O’Dowda to Bristol City for £1m (+add ons)
  • John Lundstram to Sheffield United for £700k
  • Marvin Johnson to Middlesbrough for £2.5m
  • Ryan Ledson to Preston North End for £500k (best estimate)
  • Joe Rothwell to Blackburn Rovers for £150k (best estimate)
  • Gavin Whyte to Cardiff City for £2m
  • Shandon Baptiste to Brentford £2.25m
  • Tariq Fosu to Brentford for £750k
At a guess, Lundstram and Rothwell would have increased in value (transfer fees were low to start with), Roofe would still command a decent fee and it's too early to call on FosBap. The others though? If anyone offered £1m for O'Dowda, Bristol City would be driving him to his new club tomorrow. Maybe these players hit their limit too early, but my thought is that if you acquire talent from a lower division, you have to be prepared to be patient - nurture them, develop them, accept mistakes and rectify them. A loan plan may be part of it but you won't create a better player by having him sit on the bench or play development matches. The patience doesn't seem to be there in the Championship where the prize of PL football looms large over everything clubs do.

After him last summer, very highly rated. Should cost a fair whack

Yes, but also entering last 12 months of his contract. Value seems to have dropped accordingly, but still in the £500k bracket:

Yes, but also entering last 12 months of his contract. Value seems to have dropped accordingly, but still in the £500k bracket:

According to one article his value was £500k before he went into the last year of his contract, but now should be significantly lower

I’m not sure we need a CB as such, but he does seem a decent player so I’d be happy enough if we got him

According to one article his value was £500k before he went into the last year of his contract, but now should be significantly lower

I’m not sure we need a CB as such, but he does seem a decent player so I’d be happy enough if we got him
Not even if Dickie goes?

May help getting Stephen O'Donnell (RB) if he get Findlay as they were teammates at Kilmarnock, or vice versa. Would be happy with both

Findlay would be an excellent signing by all accounts. With a year on his contract, now would be an excellent time to strike. However, I would imagine that we won't be the only interested club! If indeed the link is true! EFL Hub tends to make a fair few stories up - however they are also good at clocking onto real stories from other sources and passing them on...so maybe something in it.

Shosho posted on another thread I think that he had heard two players could be signing from the same Scottish club. I guessed at it being Kilmarnock with O’Donnell and either Findlay or Brophy joining.
Selling Dickie and then signing Findlay at a much lower price would be good business. Him and Moore would certainly make a big CB pairing. With Mousinho and Atkinson as cover we could get Nico out on loan for the season to develop.

Back
Top Bottom