Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

How long before one of the following happen? You could almost make a bingo card out of it:

KR says...
1. "we want to do our business early"
2. "signing is imminent, maybe even before tomorrow/next match"
3. "we need four players in this window"
4. "actually, it's looking more like two players"
5. "we were looking at two players, but now we have to look elsewhere"
6. "the end of the window is looming, the board have to back me"
7. "all the centre backs we were looking for, the clubs were asking for silly money"
7. "XYZ is an exciting left winger and we're looking forward to seeing what he can do"
Looks like KR has already moved to Stage 4. He’s giving Gavin Williamson a run for his money as the great About-Turner.

DmfsWX8W4AAX7_N

MOUS going under the knife means United need to act:

We keep persevering with Irish players but how much success have we really had with it ? Whyte undoubtedly a success, Sykes a mixed bag and the jury still out, Cooper it has to be said a failure and Hoban perhaps the worst of the lot. Maybe the gulf is bigger than our recruitment team think. We’ve had more luck in Scotland where perhaps the standard is more in line with L1.

We keep persevering with Irish players but how much success have we really had with it ? Whyte undoubtedly a success, Sykes a mixed bag and the jury still out, Cooper it has to be said a failure and Hoban perhaps the worst of the lot. Maybe the gulf is bigger than our recruitment team think. We’ve had more luck in Scotland where perhaps the standard is more in line with L1.
Hang on, we haven’t seen Cooper! Sykes is a good player who maybe hasnt quite found his role. You can’t tar all players from a particular country like that.

Hang on, we haven’t seen Cooper! Sykes is a good player who maybe hasnt quite found his role. You can’t tar all players from a particular country like that.

Im not necessarily picking on the country, as in them being Irish, it’s more about the league they are coming from and the standard of it in terms of adjusting to L1. We haven’t seen Cooper, you’re right, so doesnt that mean hes been a failure ? He hasn’t settled, homesickness call it what you want, but that to me is a failure so far. He might come back and come good and I’ll then reassess my view but as of now it’s a transfer that has not been a success.

Im not necessarily picking on the country, as in them being Irish, it’s more about the league they are coming from and the standard of it in terms of adjusting to L1. We haven’t seen Cooper, you’re right, so doesnt that mean hes been a failure ? He hasn’t settled, homesickness call it what you want, but that to me is a failure so far. He might come back and come good and I’ll then reassess my view but as of now it’s a transfer that has not been a success.
From what has been said, it isn't homesickness.

Cooper is dealing with some personal family issues back home in Ireland. That is not the player’s or the club’s fault and it’s not a failure when he hasn’t been able to play due to these issues. Hopefully he can sort out what ever personal problems he has and he comes back in the summer flying.
Sykes is a good player and has shown us that in the past. Unfortunately it seems like he got ahead of himself and started to believe the hype after a few good games last season. I believe that once he brings himself back down to earth and starts doing the basics right, on a consistent basis then he will be a good asset so again I’m not sure we can call him a failure just yet.

Hoban was a flop.

The usual approach is to wait until all the best players have been signed by others and then try to sign the best of what's left. Let's hope they will break with that policy this time

Though it has to be said that there has been an occasional success with this policy.

I think our recruitment policy has been pretty good over the last few seasons. There has been exceptions of course, but no club gets it's recruitment policy right every time. When you list the players that have come in and which we have sold on for decent profits, then we have done well:
Roofe, Lundstram, Rothwell, Ledson, Whyte, Nelson, Dickie to name a few. That's pretty good IMO.

The usual approach is to wait until all the best players have been signed by others and then try to sign the best of what's left. Let's hope they will break with that policy this time

Though it has to be said that there has been an occasional success with this policy.

You mean like Cam Brannagan, Rob Dickie, Rob Atkinson, Marcus Browne etc?

I think our recruitment policy has been pretty good over the last few seasons. There has been exceptions of course, but no club gets it's recruitment policy right every time. When you list the players that have come in and which we have sold on for decent profits, then we have done well:
Roofe, Lundstram, Rothwell, Ledson, Whyte, Nelson, Dickie to name a few. That's pretty good IMO.
Apart from Whyte they’re all Appleton signings so the recruitment policy hasn’t been that great in the last couple of seasons apart from loans

Back
Top Bottom