Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

We don’t need a left winger (Shodipo Cooper, Ageyi & Obita if need be is enough) but Browne can offer more in midfield in a number 8 & 10 role but also as a false number 9 when he was very impressive against Blackpool

I think we may need to bring in a right winger imo Henry really struggled so far Sykes being used as attacking number 8 a lot more this season (maybe due to Brannagan being out) Ageyi can’t nail down a place in the team & Hall’s non effective he doesn’t look like he can play right wing any more & if the opportunity there to get Gavin Whyte it would be a perfect fit
Whyte would be good but alas I can’t see him coming back

I doubt if a lot of money in either transfer or loan fees will be spent in January,the news that club’s are struggling to pay wages makes being prudent with expenditure more important than ever

I doubt if a lot of money in either transfer or loan fees will be spent in January,the news that club’s are struggling to pay wages makes being prudent with expenditure more important than ever
I agree. Loaning out ineffective squad players is possible though. Hall, Hanson surely must be high on the list. Just a couple of tweaks to the squad 22 will make all the difference.

As far as I understand it, the list of 22 cannot be changed once submitted, except to fill any gaps left open (ie obita).
No-one can be removed, even if they are loan players returning to their parent clubs.
In other words, we can't remove Hanson, Hall, Kelly, Mous or anyone even if they are loaned out, retired, returned or put down.
Likewise we cannot put Osei Yaw in under any circumstance, so we might as well get him some loan time as not....

Saying that I agree that putting him in the squad for his strike rate from sub cameos would have been a good idea, but it is worth remembering that Hanson was all ready to return on the day the list was submitted (perhaps being considered as alternative in MF to Kelly?) and only pulled up injured again after that.

My question regarding squad list though is how it works across the January transfer window?
- Presumably a revised list has to be submitted at the end of the window, but when does the current list remain in place until?
- If it remains in place until the new list is submitted, then anyone signed in Jan cannot play until February
- But if it expired at the beginning of the window, does that then allow a free-for-all and the ability to choose from anyone at the club whether on the first list or not?
- Do we reckon anyone at the EFL has even thought about this?

I'd rather have a player who plays well on a match day, as I think Agyei has on the whole, than a great player in training who does little in games that matter.
In general I think Agyei is pretty average on match days.
He does have huge potential.
I am not sure how Agyei performs in training but totally get how any manager would want players putting 100% in training.
If you listen to Gerrard Kopp, Pep even Beilsa at Leeds they insist on 100% effort in training. Why should L1 clubs expect less?

Worth mentioning that squad sizes will be even lower lext year. No room for mistakes when selecting the players that you want.

It's all the more reason to have a strong set of young players ready to step in, and who have tasted first team action. This year is important in giving some of the youngeters first team football - either on loan or in our own first team. Having an Elechi, or Jones who can be trusted to step in is absolutely vital. I hate seeing players play out of position, and would much rather give a young player the chance where there are injuries.

I am not sure how Agyei performs in training but totally get how any manager would want players putting 100% in training.
If you listen to Gerrard Kopp, Pep even Beilsa at Leeds they insist on 100% effort in training. Why should L1 clubs expect less?
I will nip this in the bud right now - there are no issues with Dan Agyei’s efforts in training, nor his attitude. He’s well liked and is a quiet guy from a religious background who is no trouble at all, and he certainly doesn’t swan about not putting any effort in. The manager doesn’t seem to like / rate him and that’s up to him, but these seeds that have been planted regarding his attitude and effort are complete B*****s. My source is one of the guy’s own team mates, so we’ll put this to bed right now. It’s nonsense.

The person who started this rumour should wind their neck in.

I will nip this in the bud right now - there are no issues with Dan Agyei’s efforts in training, nor his attitude. He’s well liked and is a quiet guy from a religious background who is no trouble at all, and he certainly doesn’t swan about not putting any effort in. The manager doesn’t seem to like / rate him and that’s up to him, but these seeds that have been planted regarding his attitude and effort are complete B*****s. My source is one of the guy’s own team mates, so we’ll put this to bed right now. It’s nonsense.

Didn't Robinson say he wanted more aggression from Agyei?

That might fit with the above.

Obika-syndrome: bloody nice bloke but not nasty enough to be a really effective striker?

Disclaimer: may be absolute gibberish

• React
Reactions: Ian
In general I think Agyei is pretty average on match days.
He does have huge potential.
If agyei is pretty average on matchdays the rest of our team are way below average. Agyei is one of the only players who has looked pretty decent imo.

The only thing I want to know about your post about a that you say the manager doesn’t like/rate him? I would love to know why? As the effort that KR put in to get Agyei, that doesn’t sound right.

• React
Reactions: Ian
I see the EFL rules contain the following:

The League will only consider granting permission to make changes to the Squad List outside of a Transfer Window where:
  • the Club’s current Squad List contains less than the maximum number of Players permitted to be included on the Squad List and the Club wishes to add an Out of Registration Player or another Player registered with the Club but not currently included on the Squad List, or
  • in other truly exceptional circumstances.
(source: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/ )

That seems to put the lid on any notion of swapping players in and out of the 22 outside of a transfer window.

The slightly alarming prospect is that the limit reduces to 20 next season, which I reckon places even more of a premium on players who can deliver consistently 35-40+ games a season with good fitness/form/disciplinary records. It also means you can't any longer think in terms of pairings i.e. having in mind a player A and a backup B for each of the 11 positions! Good news for the versatile, as well as for under 21s on the verge of the first team, as they don't count in the 22.

The League will only consider granting permission to make changes to the Squad List outside of a Transfer Window where:
  • the Club’s current Squad List contains less than the maximum number of Players permitted to be included on the Squad List and the Club wishes to add an Out of Registration Player or another Player registered with the Club but not currently included on the Squad List, or
(source: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/ )

That seems to put the lid on any notion of swapping players in and out of the 22 outside of a transfer window.

The slightly alarming prospect is that the limit reduces to 20 next season, which I reckon places even more of a premium on players who can deliver consistently 35-40+ games a season with good fitness/form/disciplinary records. It also means you can't any longer think in terms of pairings i.e. having in mind a player A and a backup B for each of the 11 positions! Good news for the versatile, as well as for under 21s on the verge of the first team, as they don't count in the 22.
I wouldnt be suprised if this rule is challenged in the courts due to restraint of trade.

‘In the know comments’

95% B*****s.

Persevere with Dan. Though I can see where the manager is coming from.

He’s got a lot of ability and Robinson’s trying to unlock it. His body language is often not great though, looks like a confidence player.

He’s always been most efffective as a central striker in my view but we don’t play 2 up top. Our style is not that suitable for him.

Didn’t see the game last night how did Winnall play, any signs of him getting up to speed?

I won't get into the ITK battles, or he said, she said stuff.

For all his faults, Robinson has kept a pretty tight ship and every comment from people associated at every level of club talks of a really good team spirit. So, I don't think Robinson dislikes Agyei or treats him differently from anyone else.

Dan has a great deal of potential and it's in everyone's interest (including KR's) to find the best way to maximise that potential. If dropping him for a game and a half gets him fired up, then that's great. Equally, if he needs an arm round his shoulders or more support from the senior squad members, then I'm sure that will also be available.

Ultimately we all want everyone at the club giving 100%, especially during these difficult times. How they get there is down to the players, the management team, and the board.

‘In the know comments’

95% B*****s.

Persevere with Dan. Though I can see where the manager is coming from.

He’s got a lot of ability and Robinson’s trying to unlock it. His body language is often not great though, looks like a confidence player.

He’s always been most efffective as a central striker in my view but we don’t play 2 up top. Our style is not that suitable for him.

Didn’t see the game last night how did Winnall play, any signs of him getting up to speed?

Winnall was unlucky not to score at the near post (was a good run/positioning by him) after a very good reaction save by their keeper and had another decent effort saved after a great run by Cooper. You could tell that he needs matches though for fitness and linking up with other players but tbf he didn't have that much service.

I think it might screw up careers for players just over the age limit. I reckon Sam Long wouldn't be at Oxford now if this had been in place when he was that age as he was a bit part player iirc. I think it hampers late developers and could hinder the development of young players as they may be pushed into the 1st team picture a bit too early.

I don't get the rationale for a salary cap and squad limit. Whilst I can't see the Salary Cap getting voted out, I could see the squad limit going.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom