Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

And Baptiste joined us when he was 17 when Reading released him. Not really an academy product. More of a youth team product.
Sam king has been with the club since he was 7 so that’s one who has come through the ranks still with us, have any of the Academy come from other clubs or from an early age?

Let's face it, lower league football is on a respirator with a DNR sign firmly attached. The government is talking about a relief package for "Elite sport" that can afford more than £50m on a transfer fee or paying a player £300k a week or more. Football is fukked
What about 20 million a season for Bale?

Just how many of our Academy players are in reality likely to be ready to step up to the first team squad either now or in the forseeable future? Surely if our Academy recruitment and training is working we should be seeing at least one per season able to do so. If all we have is "one or two showing promise" is it not a reasonable question to ask whether having an Academy is a luxury we can't afford?

We sold O'Dowda for £1.5m, Baptiste for £2m and even Canice Carroll for a small fee, so I think the reward is well worth the outlay.

I think the cold hard truth is that no academy really exists to create players for the first team. It costs more to bring a player through and develop them than it does to sign a journeyman on a free transfer. They exist to make clubs money by developing and selling on the gems that slip through the Premier League scouts net. Money is why many academies in the lower leagues shut down after the EPPP was brought in.

EPPP probably was a net benefit for the development of young English players (just look at the young PL talent coming through), but it was to the detriment of lower league academies. Which is why the 'one a season' target in unrealistic, as most players who do show potential are likely snapped up by level 1 academies. There just isn't the quality of player around (or the money to persuade them to turn down PL clubs) to be able to create that quality of player consistently.

This is why our model works, because not only are we bringing players through like Long and Stevens, as well as players to sell on like Baptiste, but we're also supplementing our squad with players who haven't made it through Premier League academies but are perfect for our level. So in a way, we do have one academy player come through a season, it's just not our academy that they've come through.

We sold O'Dowda for £1.5m, Baptiste for £2m and even Canice Carroll for a small fee, so I think the reward is well worth the outlay.

I think the cold hard truth is that no academy really exists to create players for the first team. It costs more to bring a player through and develop them than it does to sign a journeyman on a free transfer. They exist to make clubs money by developing and selling on the gems that slip through the Premier League scouts net. Money is why many academies in the lower leagues shut down after the EPPP was brought in.

EPPP probably was a net benefit for the development of young English players (just look at the young PL talent coming through), but it was to the detriment of lower league academies. Which is why the 'one a season' target in unrealistic, as most players who do show potential are likely snapped up by level 1 academies. There just isn't the quality of player around (or the money to persuade them to turn down PL clubs) to be able to create that quality of player consistently.

This is why our model works, because not only are we bringing players through like Long and Stevens, as well as players to sell on like Baptiste, but we're also supplementing our squad with players who haven't made it through Premier League academies but are perfect for our level. So in a way, we do have one academy player come through a season, it's just not our academy that they've come through.
Taking young players and improving them and then moving them on for a fee is our model which has had some success. My argument is that the club's academy is not performing well enough to justify the cost.

Taking young players and improving them and then moving them on for a fee is our model which has had some success. My argument is that the club's academy is not performing well enough to justify the cost.

The lag from the investment such as in the scouting and coaching improvements for the Academy will take time to filter through fully.

We also get significant funding for the Academy so all that is spent isn't just from our direct funds.

If I was the club, with the current state of the country I’d be very careful about signing players on decent money.
If or when the season gets pulled then we are left with a load of contracts that need to be fulfilled.
As has been said on the thread about crowds, I really couldn’t care less about this season, I’m not even a little bit excited about the derby match next month.
In my eyes, we have a good squad to stay in the league and anything more will be a nice bonus but a bit like Wembley, it just wouldn’t mean as much going up without having been there in person for the vast majority of it.

Another victory for the oracles.

Luke Garbett really typifies current recruitment. We really should have been looking at him. A good signing, free transfer, knows the club and players, yet ends up joining a rival,. Yet kr says he is having trouble finding players. Surely the keystone cops in recruitment must have had him on their radar.

If I was the club, with the current state of the country I’d be very careful about signing players on decent money.
If or when the season gets pulled then we are left with a load of contracts that need to be fulfilled.
As has been said on the thread about crowds, I really couldn’t care less about this season, I’m not even a little bit excited about the derby match next month.
In my eyes, we have a good squad to stay in the league and anything more will be a nice bonus but a bit like Wembley, it just wouldn’t mean as much going up without having been there in person for the vast majority of it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't care about this season, but my one and only hope is that the club comes out the other side of this in one piece. Having star players and winning every week would be amazing, but if staying as we are allows us to survive then I'm more than happy to stick with what we have.

Luke Garbett really typifies current recruitment. We really should have been looking at him. A good signing, free transfer, knows the club and players, yet ends up joining a rival,. Yet kr says he is having trouble finding players. Surely the keystone cops in recruitment must have had him on their radar.

How much do you think Garbutt is earning? £5k a week? £250k a year, plus bonuses for someone who wasn't good enough at left back and lacked the pace we need on the wing.

In the current climate I'm glad we passed on him.

And my first three paragraphs were explaining why they were worth it, and that your aspiration for what an academy at this level looks like is unrealistic. Million pound Premier League academies don't produce a player for the first team a season, so why should we expect the same for a League One academy that is probably at the envy of many in the division? I'm not au fait with the finances of our Academy, but the sale of Baptiste has probably allowed it to be funded for the next four years.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't care about this season, but my one and only hope is that the club comes out the other side of this in one piece. Having star players and winning every week would be amazing, but if staying as we are allows us to survive then I'm more than happy to stick with what we have.

Maybe not caring was a bit harsh but I certainly can’t get motivated to watch the matches on iFollow as I did when I watched games on iFollow when fans were in attendance. Even being in Chester you could feel like you were there. Right now it feels like we are going to watch 46 friendlies.

With the salary cap doesn't the cost of the academy become almost moot?

It's one playing area which can be invested in with impunity and it wouldn't have to be to the detriment of the 1st team squad.

Maybe not caring was a bit harsh but I certainly can’t get motivated to watch the matches on iFollow as I did when I watched games on iFollow when fans were in attendance. Even being in Chester you could feel like you were there. Right now it feels like we are going to watch 46 friendlies.

We always lose when I watch on TV, so for the good of Oxford United I'm giving iFollow a rest for the next few weeks. Plus watching it feels like watching FIFA on a ps2, with me controlling Oxford!!!

The way we've performed in the opening games I'd have to agree!

With the salary cap doesn't the cost of the academy become almost moot?

It's one playing area which can be invested in with impunity and it wouldn't have to be to the detriment of the 1st team squad.
Yes, you’re allowed to develop as many young players as you like, even if you spend more than you would have on wages under the previous rules, and therefore any notion that it’s to protect your finances is blown out of the water. Then when they turn 21 you need to sell them or others on to teams who don’t have salary caps of any kind, and can therefore have the pick of the bunch, because you have a quota of how many players you’re allowed in your first team who are that age or older, whereas any club in the top two divisions are unrestricted.

It’s called progress, mate. And it’s for our own good.

He choose to stay in the area he has been living and at a club financially better off than us who no doubt offered better money .You win some you lose some , maybe you would be happier supporting Liverool or Man City ??

I have such an old school romantic view of our academy structure, I just can't see it in monetary terms. For me it's a vital link to the community, we are getting at the ground level hundreds of kids associated with the club. This builds bonds with the community, promotes good will for the club, encourages whole families to become OUFC instead of going somewhere else.

Seacole, Brock, Jones, Beauchamp, Allen, Powell, Brooks, Mustoe, Ruffels, Long, Baptiste. The sharp end of what happens, but countless others. One club.

Really hope the time doesn't arrive when we have to take a colder look at this, but I fear it may be close. As I said, a romantic view.

Back
Top Bottom