Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

With Dickie probably leaving for £3 million... we’ll have a huge budget to improve the XI & bench of what I list below... which is a top half League 1 XI already near enough.

Eastwood
Clare Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Sykes Gorrin Brannagan
Henry Taylor Cooper

Stevens, Long, Mousinho, Hanson, Forde, Hall, Aygei

Add to that 18 a couple of top loans and a few big signings with the Dickie money.. we’ll be right up there next season!

UTFO

With Dickie probably leaving for £3 million... we’ll have a huge budget to improve the XI & bench of what I list below... which is a top half League 1 XI already near enough.

Eastwood
Clare Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Sykes Gorrin Brannagan
Henry Taylor Cooper

Stevens, Long, Mousinho, Hanson, Forde, Hall, Aygei

Add to that 18 a couple of top loans and a few big signings with the Dickie money.. we’ll be right up there next season!

UTFO
Unfortunately it’s not about transfer budget. It’s all about wage budget now

people wetting their pants over this,we have never been among the biggest payers and usual have 4/5/6/Loans of which the parent club pay a big %..on top of that our model is find the gem for relatively small cost and sell on for profit.

One assumes our shrewd businessmen knew this was coming before making the serious intent statement !

people wetting their pants over this,we have never been among the biggest payers and usual have 4/5/6/Loans of which the parent club pay a big %..on top of that our model is find the gem for relatively small cost and sell on for profit.

One assumes our shrewd businessmen knew this was coming before making the serious intent statement !

I'm guessing it was too hot for you to sleep and you've got up in a grump by a couple of your snidey little comments this morning!

Our "shrewd businessmen" have already brought in Taylor, Clare and Cooper as well as extending Brannagan for the next 3 years (when most were expecting him to be sold). And in answer to your other post the board have resisted several approaches for Rob Dickie. He was at the club being tested yesterday, and then mixing with "our" bubble. If a deal had already been arranged then the buying club wouldn't want him mixing with dozens of others and potentially needing to isolate when arriving for training there.

The wages issue is a non-story at the moment. Assuming Napa and Hanson go out on loan, we have a first team squad of 18 with a wage bill at £23.4k per week, out of a maximum of £48k. So we have half of our wage budget still available with, what, 4 or 5 players to come in?

If one of those is under 21, a couple more are loan deals with the large percentage of wages being covered by the parent club as you say, then there is still room to bring in a couple of big players to really push this squad on.

So when you take a hit at the "serious intent" statement, look at the business other clubs in league one have had and show me where we could have been doing better.

Last edited:

Is there a negative criticism in that statement?

So in your opinion, what more can our "shrewd businessmen" do to show "serious intent"?

spend money..... we haven't paid out hardly anything on a player yet? considering the fees we receive for players stop being blinded. They talk the talk but haven't invested by buying players picking up freebies renewing a current players contract and paying little or no money for 2 players we know nothing about.

spend money..... we haven't paid out hardly anything on a player yet? considering the fees we receive for players stop being blinded. They talk the talk but haven't invested by buying players picking up freebies renewing a current players contract and paying little or no money for 2 players we know nothing about.

We lose £millions year on year and income has been seriously curtailed due to Coronavirus. And we'll have paid a 6 figure sum for Clare and it won't have been a packet of crisps only for Joel Cooper either.

And considering the recruitment team's hit rate I trust their judgement. Just because we don't know anything, or only a little, about the players doesn't mean anything. Did you know all about Mark Sykes, Rob Dickie, Gavin Whyte etc before they signed?

Last edited:

Are you serious? We've paid 2 fees, given 3 year contracts on decent wages, and given big contracts to Taylor and Brannagan. That costs money.

And because you don't know about players means nothing. You don't really know anything about our players let alone those at other clubs, so I'll not take too much notice of what you say!!

And spending money just to show intent is stupidity in the extreme.

I would much rather see a shrewd business make their money go as far as they possibly can and extract the most value out of every £ invested, rather than splash it about in some kind of ostentatious, balls-out "signal of intent".

That way lies ruin!

Are you serious? We've paid 2 fees, given 3 year contracts on decent wages, and given big contracts to Taylor and Brannagan. That costs money.

And because you don't know about players means nothing. You don't really know anything about our players let alone those at other clubs, so I'll not take too much notice of what you say!!

spot of shark fishing this morning caught a whopper have a good day NIALL :)

So in your opinion, what more can our "shrewd businessmen" do to show "serious intent"?

i am not the decision maker but as it's a forum for opinions i voice mine.

There is no mileage going over and over old ground but since you asked, i gave my opinion on the recent statement of intent in relation to a promotion opporutinty that was staring us in the face with a few games to go as oppossed to when starting from scratch.
i have also voiced my dislike of the loan system, again just my opinion that it can lead to a lazy approach..Further, i have stated numerous times how nice it would be to actual build a squad with a long term view with the odd tinker and have a proper go at it rather than the constant having to rebuild most seasons.
Why do we need to be seen as a nice nicey club where you can develop your career "at" to the benefit of other clubs rather than "with" our club..We all hear players that join talk about the ambition and vision and we know that in the main these are standard throw away comments because they're told we'll not stand in their way and they're usually gone at the first opportunity.

Like i say it's about opinions, if others are happy with the recent statement then i respect their opinion but i just have a different one.

i am not the decision maker but as it's a forum for opinions i voice mine.

There is no mileage going over and over old ground but since you asked, i gave my opinion on the recent statement of intent in relation to a promotion opporutinty that was staring us in the face with a few games to go as oppossed to when starting from scratch.
i have also voiced my dislike of the loan system, again just my opinion that it can lead to a lazy approach..Further, i have stated numerous times how nice it would be to actual build a squad with a long term view with the odd tinker and have a proper go at it rather than the constant having to rebuild most seasons.
Why do we need to be seen as a nice nicey club where you can develop your career "at" to the benefit of other clubs rather than "with" our club..We all hear players that join talk about the ambition and vision and we know that in the main these are standard throw away comments because they're told we'll not stand in their way and they're usually gone at the first opportunity.

Like i say it's about opinions, if others are happy with the recent statement then i respect their opinion but i just have a different one.

On the contrary horseman, I agree totally with you there, and I bet scotchegg does too.

It would be lovely if we didn't rely on loans, and could get top premier League players like Woodburn on permanent contracts.

It would be really cool if we could say to players coming in that we're never going to let them go, and that you'll be stuck here with us until we say so, and have our targets say "yes, that's fantastic, Oxford 'til I die and all that"

I would love for football to be that simple for us, and yet remain so incredibly harsh and nuanced for everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom