Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile Peterbrough have signed George Boyd. Huge backing for their manager by chairman this summer. Feels very s**t or bust.
Bigger budgets come when you sell players for bigger money. Smaller budgets come when you let players run down their contracts and leave for free. In fairness to Tiger/KR, only Nelson has done this on their watch thus far, they inherited the others. Signing Dickie to a longer contract is as important (financially) as any other player we may try to sign.

Interesting thing Re:Guthrie is that, as well as being kept waiting by certain players, certain players are being kept waiting by the club.

There's been a lack of business done in general so far by all teams. There seems to be a stalemate that should be broken at some point by key signings. As soon as clubs higher up than us make their choices between their first choice targets and 'backups', then we might soon be able to sign, say, Preston's version of Guthrie.

I don’t think Guthrie is good enough!

Will be staggered if there aren't a few young loanees incoming from Prem/Championship. They tend to get sorted out fairly late in the day so when the larger clubs have balanced their options a bit and no longer need them for pre-season. Even last year Smith and Browne didn't join until late July.

If you look at KR's transfer history every season he's ended up with half a dozen loan players joining, some not until late August/September time. And that's normally reinforced again in January.

A lot of fans tend to look down their noses at loan players, but given how many players at this level are on relatively short-term contracts anyway, it's normally a good way of getting a player in fairly cheap without too much risk.

Will be staggered if there aren't a few young loanees incoming from Prem/Championship. They tend to get sorted out fairly late in the day so when the larger clubs have balanced their options a bit and no longer need them for pre-season. Even last year Smith and Browne didn't join until late July.

If you look at KR's transfer history every season he's ended up with half a dozen loan players joining, some not until late August/September time. And that's normally reinforced again in January.

A lot of fans tend to look down their noses at loan players, but given how many players at this level are on relatively short-term contracts anyway, it's normally a good way of getting a player in fairly cheap without too much risk.
I'm sure all of that is true. And I am equally sure that everyone is expecting some loanees in, probably some young ones from up the pyramid. But we are expecting them *in addition* to the experienced signings in vital positions that we are short of. They cannot *be* those signings.

I don’t think Guthrie is good enough!
No, we'd much prefer someone like Findlay from Kilmarnock. Who (for example) might be waiting as Preston's backup in case they can't get someone like Katic from Rangers.

They might not be able to do this, let's say, because Katic is waiting to hear back from Fulham, who would prefer to get Fosu Mensah from Man United.

And so on and so forth. But if none of the 'primary' deals go through then the backup players jump into those slots, and we have to settle for someone like Guthrie. Who is probably wanted by a team like Colchester as their first choice. But he's waiting on whether we might end up getting him!

And all of this is made worse by having a transfer window that ends a month into the season!

Kip, what are your thoughts on the £1-2M OUFC are losing every single season?
Credit to the board for covering it. Without them wed be screwed. But wish they would be honest around our ambition- i.e if we are realistically treading water until the income sitiation is sorted, say so.

Dont bullcrap us about aiming for the championship when we clearly arent being funded to that level.

I wonder if we removed the transfer window that it would make it weighted towards to club rather than the player/agent?
I doubt it would change in that way. But it would mean that the whole farrago would be shifted back in the summer by a month (compressing the whole process, giving agents less time to dick about) and that teams would actually start the season with their squad. Now we get a month's worth of games (potentially seven of them!) without proper teams/squads and then further time as the late signings try to integrate into their new teams. It is lunacy.

I
Not necessarily. As I have mentioned before, players sign for clubs for a variety of reasons. Just because we have the funds (hopefully) doesn't mean players will come here. Yes, money talks but so does family circumstances.
I Have no figures, but how many players don't move because of family circumstances? I wouldnt say that many, as it comes with the territory of being a professional footballer.

Are you saying that may be the case regarding the 6/7 we've lost out on.

If money talks as you say OUFC's money clearly has lost its voice.
£500000 bid in for this player, substantial bid for that player. Is the money really there, or is it about as real as the 48hour promises we keep getting from KR?

Reading the OM article...
“There are so many different facets to it that we’ll sit down and analyse over the next 48 hours.”
Sit down and analyse?, eek! For some targets they are not even at the contract back and forth phase, looks like the wait could well be longer than 48 hours for a signing.
Btw:

KR: "48 hours"
Malcolm Shotton: "very much so"
Michael Appleton: "top, top player"
Pep: "Focus"
What other sayings have our managers had?
Pattacake - great bunch of lads.

Reading the OM article...
“There are so many different facets to it that we’ll sit down and analyse over the next 48 hours.”
Sit down and analyse?, eek! For some targets they are not even at the contract back and forth phase, looks like the wait could well be longer than 48 hours for a signing.
Btw:

KR: "48 hours"
Malcolm Shotton: "very much so"
Michael Appleton: "top, top player"
Pep: "Focus"
What other sayings have our managers had?

That was from his interview on RadOx immediately after the Woking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom