Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
After, what turned out to be, accurate ‘leaks’ of targets names a couple of weeks ago, ie. Cadden, Wilson and Fosu, it’s all gone really quiet again with no further names being talked about. I hope this is a good sign and it’s just a case of Robinson keeping names close to his chest. Especially now at least one of those transfers has fallen through.

So according to Robinson, it doesn’t look like they’ll be any new faces in Portugal but he’s hopeful they’ll maybe be some meeting them when they get to Glasgow.

I know I’m going to get shot down for this and labelled a squawker etc but this article highlights, to me at least, why it’s such a shame he couldn’t get the majority of his dealings done before Portugal. He, along with Short, talks about the importance of the fitness program but also the character building regime and general team bonding that the week is all about. All things that the new signings will miss out on.

Last edited:
So according to Robinson, it doesn’t look like they’ll be any new faces in Portugal but he’s hopeful they’ll maybe be some meeting them when they get to Glasgow.

I know I’m going to get shot down for this and labelled a squawker etc but this article highlights, to me at least, why it’s such a shame he couldn’t get the majority of his dealings done before Portugal. He, along with Short, talks about the importance of the fitness program but also the character building regime and general team bonding that the week is all about. All things that the new signings will miss out on.

Yep, confirms that unfortunately, for whatever reason, we are in the same situation as last summer. Really poor.

Yep, confirms that unfortunately, for whatever reason, we are in the same situation as last summer. Really poor.

Yep, it highlights that we need to think about the management structure and whether someone who is a bit more football business savy is needed to get deals over the line. With the power of football agents today, you need someone with good connections and an understanding of how the game now operates. It is a 24hr job during the transfer windows.
It also needs more investment throughout the season. Teams like Southampton have a strategy that it they loose a player they already have 2-3 replacements identified.

Serious question to anyone in the know have we got a head of recruitment? & if not why not I remember Robinson going on about it last season how important it is to have one

In fairness, the big strength from last years squad was their team bonding. Loanees and signings throughout the season quickly settled and the togetherness was seen when times were tough as well as when running on the pitch to celebrate.

Also, fitness levels throughout the squad were generally good, once people got fit. You're right that our start was hampered by injuries and Holmes and Mackie not being at their best, but that is as much to do with recruitment as it is with pre-season work.

Looking a positives, the likes of Jones and Lopes will benefit from being with the first team and we have a strong core who will provide a good base to add to in the coming weeks. Not perfect of course, but no different than 99% of the other teams.

Don't be in a rush i can get you another x amount per week, we have all the power and it's only July make the fuc*ers wait....Remember when you sign it was a no brainer, great club, facilities etc they'll be like putty in your hands.:)

Too late!!!
No meltdown from me as such ? I just think it’s a shame that things probably haven’t worked out as planned and so there’s been a missed opportunity to get the full benefit of this week. Having said that maybe Robinson isnt that bothered about when he gets the players in, it would be interesting to get his take on how things are going and whether he’s satisfied with events.

i would have thought that when he states he would like to get business done early then your question is already answered. There is only so much he and the staff can do however and you can't make them sign...i suspect that there are a lot of mind games nowadays with clubs being used to extract £££££ from other clubs.

Yep, it highlights that we need to think about the management structure and whether someone who is a bit more football business savy is needed to get deals over the line. With the power of football agents today, you need someone with good connections and an understanding of how the game now operates. It is a 24hr job during the transfer windows.
It also needs more investment throughout the season. Teams like Southampton have a strategy that it they loose a player they already have 2-3 replacements identified.

May be times have changed, but we seemed to do better when Appleton/Ashton were at the club, and Eales for the first 18 months of his tenure

Its the first of July, contracts finished now so we will start to see plenty of movement. Players have been weighing up the options while their contracts ran down .
When have we ever done our summer signings by this date , ever ?? I don't have stats but bet its unlikely

The season seemed to start much later in the month of August a few years ago, so with it now being earlier in the month (3rd) it effectively only gives a month from the end of a player’s last contract to the start of a new one, hence the need to get business done early I guess.

It looks like we did do our business a bit earlier under Appleton. He did not waste much time in the summer of 2015. These are permanent deals; loans seem to come during July and August.

Kemar Roofe West Brom Signed 12 May, 2015

Liam Sercombe Exeter Free 13 May, 2015

Ryan Taylor Portsmouth Free 26 May, 2015

Sam Slocombe Scunthorpe Free 11 Jun, 2015

John Lundstram Everton Free 13 Aug, 2015

Simon Eastwood Blackburn Free 23 Jun, 2016

Aaron Martin Coventry Free 25 Jun, 2016

Wes Thomas Birmingham Free 25 Jun, 2016

Christian Ribeiro Exeter Free 01 Jul, 2016

Curtis Nelson Plymouth Free 04 Jul, 2016

i would have thought that when he states he would like to get business done early then your question is already answered. There is only so much he and the staff can do however and you can't make them sign...i suspect that there are a lot of mind games nowadays with clubs being used to extract £££££ from other clubs.
I guess there’s a lot more influence from agents, playing clubs off against each other, even in the lower leagues these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom