Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Turner, last at Mansfield, 30 year old left footed CB. Listed as a free agent. Replacement option for Nelson?

Tommie Hoban (Watford) and Efe Ambrose (Derby) also listed as free agents - right footed though.

Up front, Will Keane (Hull) and Gary Hooper (Sheff Wed) are surely worth a look at given they are free agents.

The same Gary hooper who has been on £30k a week, linked with Celtic and a possible move to China!!

Maybe Fosu and Caden have had a look on this forum, seen the meltdown and panic, and decided to hold out for other offers...
Well most haven't 'panicked' until this latest rumour of financial stupidity surfaced today - and if we've heard it here, they've heard it from elsewhere. Football is a small world. If it is true, then I for one wouldn't blame them looking elsewhere. If it isn't then the club has got to reassure them pretty quickly. Or we'll have a team with quite a few of the U23s in it come August.

Mous realising that, under the current circumstances, there’s probably a big opportunity here for first team football after all

And no set captain for next season

Mous realising that, under the current circumstances, there’s probably a big opportunity here for first team football after all

And no set captain for next season

So forget the bit where Robinson says he will be a fringe player then.

So forget the bit where Robinson says he will be a fringe player then.
And this bit while we’re at it?

Robinson said: “He wants to fight for his place, so that’s fine.

“Whether he wins that fight, that’s down to his performance levels and that’s where we are.

I’m not saying he’ll be a first team regular but it hardly sounds as if KR has written him off, and rightly so, he’s a big influence on what might be a young squad this season.

“Whether he wins that fight, that’s down to his performance levels and that’s where we are.

I’m not saying he’ll be a first team regular but it hardly sounds as if KR has written him off, and rightly so, he’s a big influence on what might be a young squad this season.
He was always going to play games anyway just not as much.

Part of the problem being they didn't see eye to eye everytime last season.

The same Gary hooper who has been on £30k a week, linked with Celtic and a possible move to China!!

Wasn't aware of that.

Being from Melbourne, Australia where the league is salary capped and the idea of a transfer fee is like a "quiet Saturday night", free agency is always intriguing. I don't understand how Hooper wasn't good enough to get another contract with Sheff Wed, but can demand a 30k weekly wage, thus putting us out of contention for him.

Surely if he fitted the bill of the kind of player we wanted, the club puts him an offer of say 5k per week and see what he says. What's the harm?

Wasn't aware of that.

Being from Melbourne, Australia where the league is salary capped and the idea of a transfer fee is like a "quiet Saturday night", free agency is always intriguing. I don't understand how Hooper wasn't good enough to get another contract with Sheff Wed, but can demand a 30k weekly wage, thus putting us out of contention for him.

Surely if he fitted the bill of the kind of player we wanted, the club puts him an offer of say 5k per week and see what he says. What's the harm?
I don't know Hooper's circumstances but it's perfectly possible he refused to sign a contract extension. So he is a free agent because his contract has expired. Why would a half way decent player do that? Well if they are confident that they will attract interest, they will attract MORE interest because there is no fee involved. No fee = bigger wages (potentially).
There would be no harm in offering him a lower wage (although I expect you'd get a short answer if you offered him one sixth of what he could potentially earn elsewhere!) - as long as you don't put interest in other players on hold. Do that and not only will you not get the main player, you'll also end up losing out on your other targets for that position because they'll have gone elsewhere.

Last edited:
Tariqe Fosu supposedly decided last Tuesday that he was joining us, is it too much to hope that he is out in Portugal at the moment and we may get a surprise Sunday klaxon?

Tariqe Fosu supposedly decided last Tuesday that he was joining us, is it too much to hope that he is out in Portugal at the moment and we may get a surprise Sunday klaxon?

Assuming football contracts work in the same way as anywhere else.

So if his contract starts 1st July then that is when he’ll start training with us. He wouldn’t want to risk getting injured before the contract starts - could you imagine a player doing his Achilles a couple of days before contract start date, am guessing in that situation the club would pull the contract.

I’m sure a couple on here know how it works better than me.

So if his contract starts 1st July then that is when he’ll start training with us. He wouldn’t want to risk getting injured before the contract starts - could you imagine a player doing his Achilles a couple of days before contract start date, am guessing in that situation the club would pull the contract.

True but it would be a bit harsh, I would’ve thought clubs could take out an insurance policy, or have something drafted into a pre-contract agreement, if it meant a new signing wouldn’t miss out on important pre-season assessments and fitness tests etc?

Surely the club would’ve announced the signing if it was all agreed. Other clubs do it. I’ve wondered before if he might still be away on holiday and so joining up a bit late, clutching at straws I know..

Indeed, remember the undignified situation around Sala after his death about claiming he had/hadn't signed between the 2 clubs. That should be a cautionary warning for any player!

I’m fairly certain the club couldn’t pull out of the deal in that situation. There would be agreements in place to cover that kind of thing. The same would apply to Gorrin surely who is out there training with the squad now and all the other out of contract players who are already in training with their new clubs.

If that were the case then why has Gorrin started training already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom