General The Role of OxVox

We were much closer to the brink last time, didn't ask about hand hygiene, and look where that got us...
We were. I suppose the question we have to ask is (and I know this is going over old ground and probably for another thread and another time) if we'd told FK where to go, where would we be now, for good or ill?

Anyway, I am not equating our landlord with our 'new' owners. There is caution - and there is paranoia! ;)

OxVox asked for questions on Monday via email from members. They were in attendance at the club's AGM on Tuesday and met with Grant Ferguson on Wednesday. Their own AGM is on 8th October.
OxVox sent an email out at 5:20pm on Monday asking for questions from members for the club AGM held on Tuesday morning. In that email they said that their own AGM is "Likely" to be on 8th October, having also previously indicated it would be on 17th or 24th Sept. Under the OxVox constitution, they have to give 14 days notice of the AGM. Monday's email is less than 14 days, and 'likely' isn't a confirmed date either. Coupled with their failure to report changes in the club ownership which happened over the past 18 months or so, you'll forgive me if my trust in them is waning somewhat!
The stadium development is still in its infancy. We only know a fraction of what's occurred so far. The finance questions are good ones, but there's not much use getting in a tizz over them at this moment in time. There's a long way to go and I'm sure that they will be asked.
I disagree. The earlier the questions are asked and answers given, the better. We are not asking for minute details, but the broad brushstrokes of how it will be financed, where any debt will sit, what is the position the club will actually be in if/when this all goes through.
Just theorising, I imagine that the board's collective wealth will see the stadium built and they'll look to reclaim their profit from whatever developments go with it (ice rink, hotel, commercial space). I too would be uneasy if that level of debt is hoisted entirely on the club and not themselves.
Agreed, and I have no problem with that. It would be naive to think that they are in this for much more than making a tidy profit for themselves. That doesn't mean I think they will leave us in the same sort of mess that Kassam has, I don't. But we also need to remain vigilant to prevent, as far as we can, that from happening.

So, if I understand you correctly, you want, insist, upon iron clad guarantees that the new owners will fund the club, the stadium and further, add future proof guarantees that for generations to come, they will continue to fund or, at the very least, ensure that the club continues to exist?

That they, the current owners, have provided funding for the club (including all the teams), the training ground and, have covered all the operational costs for the last four years, has either passed you by, or has failed to convince you that they are serious players?

As for the clarity you talk about, much has been clarified already. The FAQs have spelled out the broad aims of the board/current owners and they include leasing the stadium to the club for 250 years among other measures to assure that the club will retain the benefits of the stadium.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? I have said explicitly that I have no doubts over their ability to deliver on the deal, so the comment about me not deeming them 'serious players' is just odd.

As I have already said, the FAQs say nothing about how the project is to be financed, where any long-term debt will sit, what is the final outcome for OUFC etc etc. Now, I don't know what your agenda is, but having such an issue with people asking questions about the future stability of our club isn't a good look.

We were. I suppose the question we have to ask is (and I know this is going over old ground and probably for another thread and another time) if we'd told FK where to go, where would we be now, for good or ill?

Anyway, I am not equating our landlord with our 'new' owners. There is caution - and there is paranoia! ;)
Completely agree. The problem is, we were so desperate to grasp to any liferaft at that time, that any thoughts of proper due diligence pretty much went out the window. This was a pretty big failure on the part of the city council, who could have used the leverage they had to get stronger guarantees from Kassam to safeguard the club. As you say, it is going over old ground, but those who fail to learn the lessons of history and all that...

I agree with the sentiment that OxVox have been far too quiet. What I have never understood about the takeover situation is that there was publicly-available information regarding shareholdings which was never reported by OxVox. I find that strange because that's clearly not commercially-confidential information as it's in the public domain.

With the arrangements for the stadium, OxVox has to be completely transparent about what is being proposed by the club and not be afraid to ask the difficult questions in public. The fans need to see what is being asked and what the responses are. To be honest, I also think it would be useful if the club were to hold a fans forum to set out their vision for where they see the club going, how they plan to get there, what the headline plans for the stadium are etc etc
Join Oxvox and ask them directly at the Oxvox meeting that is coming up

As I have already said, the FAQs say nothing about how the project is to be financed, where any long-term debt will sit, what is the final outcome for OUFC etc etc. Now, I don't know what your agenda is, but having such an issue with people asking questions about the future stability of our club isn't a good look.
No agenda here, just bored with folk being negative about the prospects of several very, very wealthy people taking an interest in our club.

What is clear to me is that you are seeking to confuse readers and obfuscate the issue. The published FAQs have gone a long way to clarify how the stadium development will come to fruition.

We are under no illusions that achieving planning on this site will be a long and technical process. Whilst we are confident in our ability to demonstrate the planning gain our proposals may bring, that does not mean that any decision is guaranteed, and we have always urged fans to remember that this is just the start of a long road. However, the 250-year lease, should the county council choose to proceed, would be conditional upon:
a) Obtaining planning permission and,
b) Providing evidencing of funds for the project.
Should either of these conditions not be fulfilled then the lease will not fall into place.

Further, this section, again from the published FAQs, addresses how the club would be protected. The stadium would be ring fenced (my text) from the rest of the development.

The club and stakeholders are agreed that there will need to be legal protections put in place to ensure that the potential football stadium is controlled by the football club now and in the future. Subject to the final negotiations for the land, this is envisaged to be for the full 250 year lease term.

Key objectives of the proposal made to the County Council include:

· that the new football stadium will be an asset of Oxford United Football Club to support the future growth and future plans of the club, both on and off the pitch;

· the new football stadium is to remain in control of the club and is not to be separated in the future;

· legal protections will be included to confirm that the football stadium will remain part of the club.

If you feel so strongly about this then I'm sure you will continue to question everything, that's your prerogative, I'm done.

No agenda here, just bored with folk being negative about the prospects of several very, very wealthy people taking an interest in our club.
What is clear to me is that you are seeking to confuse readers and obfuscate the issue. The published FAQs have gone a long way to clarify how the stadium development will come to fruition.
Asking questions is NOT being negative. Asking for clarity and transparency is not obfuscation - it's the precise opposite!
We are under no illusions that achieving planning on this site will be a long and technical process. Whilst we are confident in our ability to demonstrate the planning gain our proposals may bring, that does not mean that any decision is guaranteed, and we have always urged fans to remember that this is just the start of a long road. However, the 250-year lease, should the county council choose to proceed, would be conditional upon:
a) Obtaining planning permission and,
b) Providing evidencing of funds for the project.
Should either of these conditions not be fulfilled then the lease will not fall into place.

Further, this section, again from the published FAQs, addresses how the club would be protected. The stadium would be ring fenced (my text) from the rest of the development.

The club and stakeholders are agreed that there will need to be legal protections put in place to ensure that the potential football stadium is controlled by the football club now and in the future. Subject to the final negotiations for the land, this is envisaged to be for the full 250 year lease term.

Key objectives of the proposal made to the County Council include:

· that the new football stadium will be an asset of Oxford United Football Club to support the future growth and future plans of the club, both on and off the pitch;

· the new football stadium is to remain in control of the club and is not to be separated in the future;

· legal protections will be included to confirm that the football stadium will remain part of the club.

If you feel so strongly about this then I'm sure you will continue to question everything, that's your prerogative, I'm done.
And all of this is admirable stuff and reassuring to hear. But it simply doesn't address some absolutely fundamental points I've already touched on. Things like where any borrowing needed to fund the project would sit, for example. I really don't understand why you seem to have taken offence to these questions being asked when they go to the very heart of our long-term future.

Again, to be crystal clear on this, I am in no way saying Bakrie, Thohir et al are in any way bad guys. Not at all. They have shown the vision and determination which was lacking in certain previous chairmen. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't even ask the questions.

Back
Top Bottom