National News The Queen - D Day onwards

Must admit to being mesmerised by the whole proceedings today. The pomp and ceremony was at a different level and caught the mood of our traditions and the occasion superbly.
I think we are the only country in the world that could do it the way we did and it made me feel proud to be British.
We watched from here in Malaysia. Quite a few of my local friends watched it as well. It was quite moving and yes it was elaborate, but paid a fitting tribute to an iconic lady.

It`s been estimated that 5.1 billion people watched, or streamed the coverage.

That is mind blowing.

Kudos to the BBC for their coverage, no unnecessary commentary just showing the event.

If only they produced more quality output like that people wouldn`t mind paying. ;)

That is mind blowing.

Kudos to the BBC for their coverage, no unnecessary commentary just showing the event.

If only they produced more quality output like that people wouldn`t mind paying. ;)
Or look at it from the other view. Without the BBC, how poor would the coverage have been from Netflixs or the Disney Channel?

You don’t know what you’re got till it’s gone!

When it comes to sycophancy we're the best
Technically not sycophancy old boy as I wasn’t seeking to gain an advantage?
I think what you meant was ‘respectfully observing the largest and most inclusive funeral processions and services this country has ever seen in tribute to the longest serving monarch in our history’.

So firstly, nothing I'm about to say is in any way attempting to speak ill of Queen Elizabeth, who was an astonishing servant to the country and a wonderful leader.....

......but I've lost count of the number of times in the past ten days that I've heard people say something along the lines of "There's noone who does pageantry quite like Britain" or "When it comes to Pomp and Circumstance, Britain is second to none.......". And saying it with a genuine sense of burning national pride.

And I can't help but think.....Really? Pageantry? That's what we lead the world in now? We used to lead the world in science and innovation, technology, engineering and manufacturing, sports, literature and the arts. But it's OK, we've still got pageantry!

I mean, I get that the Queen deserved a massive send-off. And I understand anyone being massively proud of her, and everything she achieved and embodied.

But I have to say, I'm finding all the back-slapping and self-congratulation about how good we are at putting on a show to be a bit depressing. Guess that's an indication that I belong in the US now!

That is mind blowing.

You believed 5.1 billion??

So firstly, nothing I'm about to say is in any way attempting to speak ill of Queen Elizabeth, who was an astonishing servant to the country and a wonderful leader.....

......but I've lost count of the number of times in the past ten days that I've heard people say something along the lines of "There's noone who does pageantry quite like Britain" or "When it comes to Pomp and Circumstance, Britain is second to none.......". And saying it with a genuine sense of burning national pride.

And I can't help but think.....Really? Pageantry? That's what we lead the world in now? We used to lead the world in science and innovation, technology, engineering and manufacturing, sports, literature and the arts. But it's OK, we've still got pageantry!

I mean, I get that the Queen deserved a massive send-off. And I understand anyone being massively proud of her, and everything she achieved and embodied.

But I have to say, I'm finding all the back-slapping and self-congratulation about how good we are at putting on a show to be a bit depressing. Guess that's an indication that I belong in the US now!
Our empire died 70 years ago, so it makes sense that the star is fading.

We ‘do it well’ because we have centuries of proud history and tradition with our armed forces and the battles that have been won and lost through those centuries, all represented through the regimental colours and brought to the fore at occasions like Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Day but we obviously don’t see this as much as we have done in the last ten days; it’s been full on pageantry since the Queen died, even I’d had enough of it. That will fade away again until Remembrance Day.
I think we’re still ‘pretty good’ in the fields of, let’s say, science though, Covid vaccine anyone?
But ultimately why shouldn’t we recognise something that we’re good at, I have heard people talk about how well it all went and rightly so but I think that ‘back slapping and self congratulation’ is not a British trait and is usually associated with your compatriots, so many of whom are a little jealous of the depth and breadth of history that we have in the UK.

You believed 5.1 billion??
it will be one of those "saw something at some point" type figures - in a big city they showed it on a big screen, and everyone that walked past who could have seen for a second) it is counted. (but still BS).
UK viewing figures were broadly in line with big sports finals, and less than that for Diana's funeral.

Well, Lindsay Hoyle MP called it the "most important event the world will ever see" - which certainly seems like overkill :)

A rather confused post. We can be good at pageantry as well as being a leading country in science and innovation. Which we are. Maybe not number one given our size but still massively up there. See Covid vaccines for further details.

It’s not backslapping as those commenting weren’t involved. They’re applauding our traditions and the execution of those involved.

A few of my American friends have asked why or if British folk really care about the monarchy. If it’s a true grief. Not for all, but for the majority, I believe it is.

The Glorious Revolution of 1689 marked the end of absolute monarchs in Britain and the evolution of the British monarchy into the constitutional monarchy that exists in the United Kingdom still today.

The House of Windsor, to which the current British royal family belongs, was formed in 1917 and oversaw the decolonization of the former British Empire. A force for good, for change, for advocating a modern, free, democratic world. Handing back independence whilst keeping dozens of countries as close friends with the choice which is the commonwealth.

The British sovereign is head of state, not government. They have no executive or legislative power. The sovereign is a unifying symbol for the nation — the living embodiment of the state, and are thereby bound to be nonpartisan and apolitical.

In the US, both roles are combined in the presidency, so it is understandable that monarchy seems bizarre. In the UK, political differences and fights exist. But at the end of the day, we share one thing in common as Brits, loyalty to the sovereign. America has a flag it loves. It can’t evolve or act as a leader. We have a human and a role.

America has executive, legislature and judiciary. Britain has an additional fourth pillar, symbolic statehood. It doesn’t reduce our democracy, it bolsters its stability, and financially is net benefit rather than cost.
------------------------------
For 70 years, ER II has exemplified stability, strength, patriotism, and service.

She was not born to be the sovereign. Her uncle abdicated the throne to elope with a twice divorced Hollywood actress, shuffling up the line of succession. Her father reigned, briefly until his death and she became Queen at the age of 25.

For 70 years, she has chosen service over self. She's never voted. She's never expressed a political opinion. She's never pursued her own interests (beyond her horses and corgis).

She worked every day except Christmas and Easter. Even in her nineties, she hosted/attended 250+ engagements per year. When her husband died, she only took three days off.

She has traveled to more countries than any other monarch in history, has met thirteen US presidents, and fifteen prime ministers have served under her. It is believed that she has personally met more people than anyone in history.

“𝐈 𝐝𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭, 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐞.”

At just twenty-one years old, she pledged to dedicate her life to the service of her people — and that's precisely what she did. And that is in part, why she is beloved around the world.

For more than 135 million people around the world, she was sovereign. For billions more, she was the dictionary definition of nobility and the one thing that has remained constant in an ever changing world.

No one is required to mourn her loss. And many will not understand why so many are grieving. But hopefully this sheds some light on the reason the United Kingdom still has a monarchy and why there is such an outpouring of emotion from every hemisphere.

Britain and monarchy as we know it, will never be the same.... And if in five, ten, or twenty years' time, the people of the UK no longer feel the monarchy should remain, we can/will dissolve it. Britain sits very high up on measurements of free democracy and will continue to do so, because of, not in spite of , having a monarchy where cult is removed from politics and transfers to symbols of statehood.

Ricky, most of your post seems to be dedicated to telling me about how wonderful the Queen was. Which is something I don't disagree with and haven't denied at any point. She absolutely was, and she warranted the extended period of national mourning over the past two weeks.

My post was a scream at how much pride Britain takes in its traditions and pageantry, over and above other more important matters.

I'm really glad that two people have brought up British science as something to take pride in - because absolutely, the science output of the UK is still world class. But I'm also pretty saddened that the only example mentioned is the covid vaccine; that it takes a frickin' global pandemic to remind everyone that the British science community is there (and even then, the Oxford/AZ shot is only one of many.....you can't get a British-invented Covid shot in the US, only ones developed in the US, Germany or the Netherlands). How many people could name Britain's most recent Chemistry Nobel Prize winner? Or indeed any of the 21 science and economics winners since 2010?

British science is great - and hopefully will remain that way, as long as the government doesn't screw up the post-Brexit, post-Horizon transition. Maybe we could take some genuine national pride in it, more so than how beautifully our armed forces are able to march behind a coffin?

That is mind blowing.

That’s just a made up number though, they have no way of knowing that. They reckon 28 million people watched it in this country which might well be true but no way did 5 billion people out of an estimated 8 billion worldwide watch it, that’s just tabloid made up B*****s.

Ricky, most of your post seems to be dedicated to telling me about how wonderful the Queen was. Which is something I don't disagree with and haven't denied at any point. She absolutely was, and she warranted the extended period of national mourning over the past two weeks.

My post was a scream at how much pride Britain takes in its traditions and pageantry, over and above other more important matters.

I'm really glad that two people have brought up British science as something to take pride in - because absolutely, the science output of the UK is still world class. But I'm also pretty saddened that the only example mentioned is the covid vaccine; that it takes a frickin' global pandemic to remind everyone that the British science community is there (and even then, the Oxford/AZ shot is only one of many.....you can't get a British-invented Covid shot in the US, only ones developed in the US, Germany or the Netherlands). How many people could name Britain's most recent Chemistry Nobel Prize winner? Or indeed any of the 21 science and economics winners since 2010?

British science is great - and hopefully will remain that way, as long as the government doesn't screw up the post-Brexit, post-Horizon transition. Maybe we could take some genuine national pride in it, more so than how beautifully our armed forces are able to march behind a coffin?
I take your point about perspective here but this wasn’t any any old armed forces, with any old coffin, in any old funeral. Let’s just acknowledge that the planning , which has been ongoing for years, and execution of the funeral plan was first class, acknowledge and accept the plaudits for that and now move back to focussing on exactly those things you suggest that make this country great. The rest of the country seems to be doing exactly that, understandably.

I take your point about perspective here but this wasn’t any any old armed forces, with any old coffin, in any old funeral. Let’s just acknowledge that the planning , which has been ongoing for years, and execution of the funeral plan was first class, acknowledge and accept the plaudits for that and now move back to focussing on exactly those things you suggest that make this country great. The rest of the country seems to be doing exactly that, understandably.

I think the bulk of your post is fair enough - but I've highlighted the word I disagree with. Because I don't remember a time when the British science, technology and innovation community was widely presented in the media as something great for the country to be proud of. Mostly stories get written either as a puff piece when some academic somewhere does some amusingly pointless research, or as a horror story of what will happen when science runs amok (and you know who's been one of the leading ignorant fearmongers behind some of those fear pieces? Yes, that's right - He's king now!).

I think the bulk of your post is fair enough - but I've highlighted the word I disagree with. Because I don't remember a time when the British science, technology and innovation community was widely presented in the media as something great for the country to be proud of. Mostly stories get written either as a puff piece when some academic somewhere does some amusingly pointless research, or as a horror story of what will happen when science runs amok (and you know who's been one of the leading ignorant fearmongers behind some of those fear pieces? Yes, that's right - He's king now!).
Obviously you're unaware of who the last Prime Minister was? 🤣

Big T - Can’t we have both ?

I agree science isn’t celebrated enough. Geez I live in Texas you must understand that challenge.

But we aren’t in “mega science week” it’s a “mega history and culture week”. I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive

Back
Top Bottom