National News The Brexit Thread πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί

Depends.....only a toaster maybe but if you have to ask permission every time you want to use it......................................... πŸ‘€ πŸ‘€ πŸ‘€

Unfortunately the mass approval and start of the Oxford vaccine has been delayed (otherwise we would have got that news last Friday or Saturday at the same time as the Tier 4 announcement).
Looks like the hope is to announce a Brexit deal at the same time as the announcement of a national lockdown.
Nothing like good government, eh?
It sounds like the Oxford vaccine could be approved in the next couple of weeks.
I'm not sure that they are linked?

I think we are about to find out that a bad deal is better than no deal. Who'd have thunk?

I think we are about to find out that a bad deal is better than no deal. Who'd have thunk?
I imagine it will be a good deal, just maybe not good for us. Should annoy the gammons and fish obsessives though

It would be like negotiating to buy a Β£100,000 house, but then letting the deal fall apart because the sellers wouldn't throw in a Β£50 toaster.

Yes, you might really like the toaster - and it's perfectly fine to ask for it to be thrown in with the house - but if that ends up being what's holding up negotiations, then you let it go for the sake of getting the wider deal done. Especially when you know that the toaster has much more value to the other side.
Β£60million vs toaster.

I get it, scale and all that. But this is Β£60millon and not a toaster.

Yeah I agree our GDP in 2019 was 2.17 trillion (apparently), so not a toaster, more like haggling over a peanut.
If the negotiation had gone smoothly and there were no other snagging points I might agree with you. But given the other trade offs which will have needed to be made, there comes a point where either party needs to stop bending.

The territory which fishing grounds represent will also have been a factor and possibly more important than the value itself.

If the negotiation had gone smoothly and there were no other snagging points I might agree with you. But given the other trade offs which will have needed to be made, there comes a point where either party needs to stop bending.

The territory which fishing grounds represent will also have been a factor and possibly more important than the value itself.

Easy on fishing grounds; sink loads of boats all over them making it impossible for trawlers to operate and only line/pot fishing will work. It will be great for recreational fishing so British fishing folk can switch to this, line fishing etc. The sea/environment/fish win and the big foreign trawlers lose.

They need us marginally more than we need them s....
Yes, we bought more from the EU as a whole than we sold to them last year - so they made money out of us in that way (about Β£80 billion). But unless proper trading relations are established, trade both ways will be subject to duties etc - so there will be less trade. And while we exported 44% (!!!) of stuff we make to the EU, their trade with us was a much smaller 8%. If trade is damaged, who do you think will suffer most? One country losing nearly half their export trade or a large group of countries spreading an 8% loss between them?

Much of what manufacturing still exists in this country is not owned by British companies, there are 450 million EU citizens compared to our 60 million (so a much bigger market), they have tariff-free trade deals in place with not only each other but with all other major trading nations. But that's fine, we now have a lot of cod we don't want very much...

One of the FBPE quotes. β€œWe could have joined the European COVID bail out”. And who would be paying for that bail out ?

So Hong Kong , the EU made no concessions their side did they? Let’s have a look at the text before determining who the winners and losers are.

One thing for sure has been one hell of a tough negotiation. Well done Lord Frost and his team.

The main sentiment must surely be great relief.

Interesting to see Barnier got sidelined in the last few days. I’d suggest that the border shenanigans did France no favours with the rest of the EU in the last knockings.

Back
Top Bottom