National News The Brexit Thread πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί

The UK/AZ contract is different to the EU one by some distance and precludes AZ from taking "UK Stock" to make up the difference elsewhere, until the UK contract is fulfilled.
It will be AZs problem if the 2 contracts are conflicting. No contract will take precedence unless the contract details say so. Could be a painful and costly process for AZ. They will have to decide which contract to breach.

Glad to see that an attorney is picking out the same clauses that I did as being the most relevant!

There seems to be a big debate going back and forth online about whether that warrants clause does indeed screw over AZ or not. And I haven't yet seen any Belgian lawyers weigh in on it.

But it does make me question why on earth AZ agreed to that warranty. I would have wanted to go the other way and add a Whereas clause that explicitly stated that they add another contractual obligation that might affect their ability to deliver on this contract. It's not as if they were up against the wall in negotiations - the EU desperately wanted their product, and so whilst they might have objected to a clause that clarified that the UK had first dibs on UK-produced vaccine, I think they would have had to eventually agree with it.

The UK/AZ contract is different to the EU one by some distance and precludes AZ from taking "UK Stock" to make up the difference elsewhere, until the UK contract is fulfilled.

No doubt.

I don't think there's any doubt that AZ would be in breach of their contract with the UK if they took UK vaccine stock before the UK order was fulfilled.

The question is just why the hell didn't they protect themselves more by referencing this arrangement in their EU contract? Would have saved themselves a whole lot of legal hand-wringing! And maybe from a lawsuit.

Sorry not following this in detail. Does this mean AZ have effectively signed two conflicting contracts.

Probably! At the very least, they're walking a legal tightrope between the two agreements that seems to me to be totally unnecessary (if they had a competent contracting team).

Glad to see that an attorney is picking out the same clauses that I did as being the most relevant!

There seems to be a big debate going back and forth online about whether that warrants clause does indeed screw over AZ or not. And I haven't yet seen any Belgian lawyers weigh in on it.

But it does make me question why on earth AZ agreed to that warranty. I would have wanted to go the other way and add a Whereas clause that explicitly stated that they add another contractual obligation that might affect their ability to deliver on this contract. It's not as if they were up against the wall in negotiations - the EU desperately wanted their product, and so whilst they might have objected to a clause that clarified that the UK had first dibs on UK-produced vaccine, I think they would have had to eventually agree with it.

No doubt.

I don't think there's any doubt that AZ would be in breach of their contract with the UK if they took UK vaccine stock before the UK order was fulfilled.

The question is just why the hell didn't they protect themselves more by referencing this arrangement in their EU contract? Would have saved themselves a whole lot of legal hand-wringing! And maybe from a lawsuit.

Probably! At the very least, they're walking a legal tightrope between the two agreements that seems to me to be totally unnecessary (if they had a competent contracting team).

It does seem a shoddy contract from both sides. Another lawyer's take from another forum:

"But then again they're only warranting that there's no separate obligation that would impede them from fulfilling their contractual obligation with the EU - that obligation being one of BRE, not specific delivery. And what's more, the BRE are defined in such a way that explicitly recognises the context of a global pandemic, so if I was AZ I'd be saying - well you knew full well that we'd already be supplying others, we are exercising BRE in that context, so no breach of warranty"

Sorry not following this in detail. Does this mean AZ have effectively signed two conflicting contracts.

From what I have read it seems the EU signed their contract with AZ (Belgium) and the UK government signed with AZ(GB).

BRE is defined in section 1.9 so it will be a narrow interpretation.
Haven't read sec1.9 so cannot sensibly comment whether the intepretation is narrow especially in Belguim. Best and reasonable endeavours have a very specific and different meaning under UK law

The Eu have announced export controls on Vaccines made in the Eu, as exports to the NI from the Eu are not subject to checks under Brexit, however the Eu think that these vaccines may go to NI then on to the U.K. to circumvent export controls.
so it begins Arlene Foster has said this is an act of hostility ( maybe a bit harsh so hopefully now we give the Eu a smack in the nose and tell them to f**k off.
Who’s fault is it that only today have they passed the vaccine AstaZencer for use. They’re the slow
ones not us.

From what I have read it seems the EU signed their contract with AZ (Belgium) and the UK government signed with AZ(GB).

Actually, the EU one is with AstraZeneca AB - which is the Swedish company.

Don't think that affects the central argument though, which really comes down to "If I've already got other contracts that I know I'm going to fulfill in preference to yours, is it OK to not disclose those to you, and promise you BRE regardless"

Which, as I've oft said in the last couple of days, is up to the Belgian lawyers to decide. But I don't think it needed to be.

The Eu have announced export controls on Vaccines made in the Eu, as exports to the NI from the Eu are not subject to checks under Brexit, however the Eu think that these vaccines may go to NI then on to the U.K. to circumvent export controls.
so it begins Arlene Foster has said this is an act of hostility ( maybe a bit harsh so hopefully now we give the Eu a smack in the nose and tell them to f**k off.
Who’s fault is it that only today have they passed the vaccine AstaZencer for use. They’re the slow
ones not us.
One person's slow is another person's thorough.

Refreshingly different to what we've become accustomed to.

I posted a week or so back that despite all of this mess maybe the management of the vaccine roll out would be our finest hour (so to speak).

So far so good as far as I can tell from the reports... just hope it can continue.

• React
Reactions: QR
Back
Top Bottom