National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

That might be your opinion but it wasn't the Government or the Remain campaign's official projection. The nightmarish effects I described were to be "immediate" effects of a leave vote.

Here's the link:

So although your opinion is perfectly valid, I would respectfully suggest that if the Government and the Treasury can be so wrong about this, I'm sure you're much more likely to be wrong and with the added downside of not having even nearly as much knowledge, resource or evidence to support your doom-mongering.

I'd add that predictions of an eventual return to the EU are also based on the shaky presumption that the EU will even exist in the next 20-50 years.
So you have to wait a year before you can comment not 22 days. Even you realise industry waits and sees the impact before making decisions. Many of the UK large employers are worldwide businesses and they move sites to the lowest cost base.
Re the EU, I think political union has always been the key issue and I wouldn't disagree it is shaky. It will be interesting to see what happens in Italy. I still think for Europe to remain competitive with the rest of the world it has to be a free trade area. For the UK to remain competitive it will need to be part of that arrangement.
Personally we have sacrificed economic advantage for soverignty. Whoever runs the country be it nationally the EU, or Westminster they will shaft you.

So you have to wait a year before you can comment not 22 days. Even you realise industry waits and sees the impact before making decisions. Many of the UK large employers are worldwide businesses and they move sites to the lowest cost base.
Re the EU, I think political union has always been the key issue and I wouldn't disagree it is shaky. It will be interesting to see what happens in Italy. I still think for Europe to remain competitive with the rest of the world it has to be a free trade area. For the UK to remain competitive it will need to be part of that arrangement.
Personally we have sacrificed economic advantage for soverignty. Whoever runs the country be it nationally the EU, or Westminster they will shaft you.
Yes and I really hope that we are no longer considered a "lowest cost base" in the same way that Switzerland and New Zealand are proudly not lowest cost bases, where large corporations abuse workers in a race to the bottom.

I think you're right about being shafted but I like to believe we can control Westminster in a way that we couldn't with Brussels. It's up to us to move away from the major parties and choose a radical new direction. Brexit gives us the control - it's up to us how we use it.

Sounds like I'll be dead before any benefits may be seen.

So I can't criticise now, and I'll be dead or senile should the mythical benefits not materialise so I won't be able to criticise then either! Too convenience by half if you ask me. :mad:

"You lot" ? That`ll be the majority of those who voted then? :) <--- emoji to enhance a fact.

Was it Nelson Mandela who said "It`s a long walk to freedom" ? <--- slogan.

Nobody said the benefits would materialise over night, in the same way it was never said that the grasp of the EU would attempt to pull everyone into a US of Europe but that is what they want and are heading towards.

It produces nothing, redistributes wealth it doesn`t create, after taking it`s cut, and is a pointless layer of governance trying to make one size fit all.

Like the regulation the benefits will evolve over time, give it three decades and see if we want back in.... if it still exists. <---- abstraction.
You forgot to add the actual benefits.

On other posts, like planting a seed you wait for growth not harvest it before it germinates.
Seems like even our government are advising business to sow their seed in more fertile ground[emoji848]

Yes and I really hope that we are no longer considered a "lowest cost base" in the same way that Switzerland and New Zealand are proudly not lowest cost bases, where large corporations abuse workers in a race to the bottom.

I think you're right about being shafted but I like to believe we can control Westminster in a way that we couldn't with Brussels. It's up to us to move away from the major parties and choose a radical new direction. Brexit gives us the control - it's up to us how we use it.
A radical new direction? Which one would that be? Brussels never stopped us going in whichever political direction we wanted - unless you mean getting rid of environmental, food, and labour regulations, which wouldn’t be something that people would vote for, but might be smuggled in by a right wing party.

A radical new direction? Which one would that be? Brussels never stopped us going in whichever political direction we wanted - unless you mean getting rid of environmental, food, and labour regulations, which wouldn’t be something that people would vote for, but might be smuggled in by a right wing party.
The phrase "radical new direction" suggests that it's not possible to give an example of which "one" from the existing set of directions as an example.

I imagine, though, that it would be a socially liberal (and more economically conservative) movement with hyper environmental and technological tendencies, for the young. I am guessing it would also have to have something of a nationalist/commonwealth focussed outlook to speak to our traditionally right wing tendencies.

I didn't say Brussels stopped us going in whichever political direction we wanted.

Those same regulations that have been transposed to UK statute?
Whilst they maybe "at risk" a good while down the line, I don`t think even the most extreme conservative (small c) would be burning them and expecting to stay in office. There is nothing to stop us retaining some of the regulation but we will also be able to cut some of the other cloth to better suit us.

You really didn't expect that to happen in 22 days. Give the process time to happen. You say it won't happen, I say it might, take a rain check and see where we are next year.
But all the short term issues exporters and importers were concerned about are happening. Inflation will go up, just because import costs are higher, access to cheap labour will diminish. The good thing though is we can be unemployed sovereign Englishman. Well British.

The official government advice to get around the "short term issues" with exports is to open an office in Europe. So the companies that can do it are moving jobs to Europe, the companies that can't will fail and the jobs will go. Great result 🤦‍♂️

The phrase "radical new direction" suggests that it's not possible to give an example of which "one" from the existing set of directions as an example.

I imagine, though, that it would be a socially liberal (and more economically conservative) movement with hyper environmental and technological tendencies, for the young. I am guessing it would also have to have something of a nationalist/commonwealth focussed outlook to speak to our traditionally right wing tendencies.

I didn't say Brussels stopped us going in whichever political direction we wanted.
That sounds like the Google dictatorship, or being at work 24/7 ... could happen I guess though I don’t think people would vote for it

The official government advice to get around the "short term issues" with exports is to open an office in Europe. So the companies that can do it are moving jobs to Europe, the companies that can't will fail and the jobs will go. Great result 🤦‍♂️
Nobody sets up an office overseas for short term issues only if it is a permanent problem. Officials obviously are recognising this is a big problem. Government as per normal stick their head in the sand and say that's not government policy but offer no other solution. This setup abroad policy will businesses purely based here will have no reason to stay and being implicitly being told you are better of being based in the EU.

Blame the 4 year delay while idiots attempt to overturn a democratic decision.
No blame all parties. Brexiteers were not happy with the Teresa May deal and this deal as well they only accepted the final offering because it was fait au complete.
But imagine the fun if we had left with no deal.

Seems like even our government are advising business to sow their seed in more fertile ground[emoji848]
This has been known for years, same as the financial passport for financial institutions. Hence why the FI's have moved thousands of roles into the EU.

Back
Top Bottom